Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN's What do the numbers mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I'm looking at a parts car for sale and they say it is a '73. (It's 500 miles away)
It has bumpers(titless), speedo (120mph) and oil bath air filter that I believe came off a '72. They gave me the vin and looking at the first 3 numbers maybe it is really a '73.
VIN - 4732904602
What do you think? (or know)
Tx
ejm
early '73
jimtab
Yup, what he said...
tracks914
Assembly Date?
Gustl
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Nov 4 2005, 05:01 AM)
Assembly Date?

therefore you need the Karmann body number
type47fan
QUOTE (Gustl @ Nov 3 2005, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Nov 4 2005, 05:01 AM)
Assembly Date?

Quick reference for month/year: driver's door jamb sticker, if it's got one. . . .
davep
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Nov 3 2005, 08:01 PM)
Assembly Date?

Oct 72 production most likely, possibly Sept.
Worries me that it has 72 parts on it. Sounds more like they got the VIN wrong.
tracks914
QUOTE (Gustl @ Nov 3 2005, 09:35 PM)

Picture of the door jam had lots of paint and oh ya scotch tape and a big hole.
GWN7
The Karmann plate is at the other end of the door jamb (the hinged side). It's held on by 4 rivets so there is not much chance on it being removed (painted over, yes)

Any more pics?
bondo
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Nov 4 2005, 07:38 PM)
The Karmann plate is at the other end of the door jamb (the hinged side). It's held on by 4 rivets so there is not much chance on it being removed (painted over, yes)

Any more pics?

The karmann number is also stamped into the body on the rear passenger side of the floor of the rear trunk. Often rusted beyond easy readability though.
tracks914
No other pix of door jams but I thought you might like to see the scotch tape holding on the fender. Apparently there is plywood and wood screws in there too. ohmy.gif
Check out the extensive use of rivits, front fenders, rear fenders, custom rockers and a hood scoop.
Series9
4732904602:

47: type 47
3: '73
29: USA version
04602: #4602 for that model year
Gustl
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 5 2005, 11:40 PM)
29:  USA version

sorry, but 29 has nothing to do with the states user posted image

it's an internal number
it just indicates that this car was built by Karmann

wavey.gif Gustl
Series9
QUOTE (Gustl @ Nov 5 2005, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 5 2005, 11:40 PM)
29:  USA version

sorry, but 29 has nothing to do with the states user posted image

it's an internal number
it just indicates that this car was built by Karmann

wavey.gif Gustl

I'm pretty sure I read that. That was the only part I wasn't positive about.
GWN7
Mabey the scotch tape/wood screws thingy is the owners version of brake cooling venting?

looks like it is a posible candidate for rebuilding....runs? what's the other side look like? How much?

If it's T-bay or West of there and you need someone to take a look at it let me know..... I have 12 days off starting in 8 hrs and besides shooting Bambi and his mother I really don't have any plans.
tracks914
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Nov 5 2005, 09:33 PM)
If it's T-bay or West of there and you need someone to take a look at it let me know..... I have 12 days off starting in 8 hrs and besides shooting Bambi and his mother I really don't have any plans.

It's in toronto and that about a 3 days drive each way for you. Maybe a bit much to ask when I could be there in about 7 hours. wink.gif Thanks anyway.
The owner is asking $1750 and I just laughed and made him a low ball offer and I am waiting for him to change his mind..... screwy.gif
To drive down to T.O., gas, hotel ,food, beer(just for the night) trailer rental... it could cost me almost $500 for the road trip on top of the car price. The deal has to be good for a parts car.
tracks914
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Nov 5 2005, 09:33 PM)
looks like it is a posible candidate for rebuilding....runs?

Zoom in the picture and look at the extensive use of rivits (all 4 corners), the "custom" running boards and such. It doesn't run, has no chrome moldings, 1/2 a steering wheel and I don't know what else is missing. If the body has that much rust I couldn't imagine what the hell hole, frame, trunks and floors look like.
It's a typical "Northern Car".
GWN7
Not all Northern cars are rusty....there is the rare exception. I don't know if you saw This thread about the black car I just picked up, but it's pretty rust free as far as I can tell.

beerchug.gif

And yep TO is a tad out of my range for a look see biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.