Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust in the rocket panel area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
IronHillRestorations
I'd say it would cost around $4500 to fix the rust shown in the pics.

The problem is there's more than shown. You could probably band-aid the thing together for around half that, to keep it on the road, but unless you take the car apart and fix all the rust, it will come back someplace that you missed.

I'm guessing there's corrosion issues in the following areas: firewall, suspension console, sail panels, front fenders.

If there are any old repairs, or damage history; NEXT!

I'd look for a donor chassis. If you spent $1500 on a straight, bare, rust free chassis, you'd be way better off. Providing you can find one.

Fixing the chassis you've got will cost more, and you'll end up with a welded up car. that will rust someplace else in three years.

Look at the copper metallic car that recently sold in the classifieds, for example. You'd be better off going that route, and having your old car for parts.

Sorry sad.gif
bender
QUOTE (9146986 @ Nov 8 2005, 06:04 AM)
I'd say it would cost around $4500 to fix the rust shown in the pics.  

The problem is there's more than shown.  You could probably band-aid the thing together for around half that, to keep it on the road, but unless you take the car apart and fix all the rust, it will come back someplace that you missed.

I'm guessing there's corrosion issues in the following areas: firewall, suspension console, sail panels, front fenders.

If there are any old repairs, or damage history; NEXT!

I'd look for a donor chassis.  If you spent $1500 on a straight, bare, rust free chassis, you'd be way better off.  Providing you can find one.

Fixing the chassis you've got will cost more, and you'll end up with a welded up car. that will rust someplace else in three years.

Look at the copper metallic car that recently sold in the classifieds, for example.  You'd be better off going that route, and having your old car for parts.

Sorry  :(

u think that the chassis is rutten?
regardless for money
if ill cut the whole floor, the whole trunk floor, ill put the clamshell kit, the whole rocket kit, the stiffing kit
( i looked at the front fenders and they r rust free, i need 2 check also the rear)
all these steps wont be enought to enjoy the car??
thanks a lot guys !!
Bleyseng
Its your time and money.....do what you want. The easy route is to find another rustfree chassis thats all.
Joe Ricard
WTF is a "rocket panel"
Rocker panel or inner / outer longitudinal, door jam, door sill, sail panel, quarter panel.
Sorry just being a dick today. dhead.gif
bender
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 8 2005, 08:41 AM)
WTF is a "rocket panel"
Rocker panel or inner / outer longitudinal, door jam, door sill, sail panel, quarter panel.
Sorry just being a dick today. dhead.gif

Along with the rear trunk repairs....
the door jam replacing.....
outer rockers.....
jackholes...
inner rocker plus jackplate & tube
door threshold
seat mounts
floor pans
bender
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 7 2005, 04:03 PM)
Yes, thats a inner long kit but you need to replace the floor pans before that will work.
Along with the rear trunk repairs....
the door jam replacing.....
outer rockers.....
jackholes...
clutchtube repairs.....
and you haven't shown us a pic of the hellhole!

If you have a body shop in your double garage its doable plus some experience welding, cutting&fitting metal, then forget it.

the door jam replacing..... which part is it?
r_towle
guys, there is no such thing as a rust free chassis, certainly not up in the northeast.

If he buys one from CA, ships it, fixes the rust on that one...he will be at the same place as iff he fixes this one...
money wise.

Just bring it to your friend, show him all the parts that can be purchased and let him tell you what needs to be done.

Any one of these can be saved, it comes down to money.

If you are trying to locate one with less rust, look online and factor in 1000 buck to ship it.

I am sure HPH would sell you a stripped tub that has little rust for a good price...it might be worht looking into.

Rich
Bleyseng
Locally, we have cars come up in the 1500-3000 range that just have rusty battery trays/hellholes. Those are easy to fix. All that rust in your car is way too much to tackle IIHO unless the car is dear to you. You can't fix all the rust on that type of car as Perry said. It will reappear!
Buy one that is in better condition to start with as shipping is only 800-1000! dead horse.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 8 2005, 09:41 AM)
WTF is a "rocket panel"

This is a rocket panel:
bender
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 8 2005, 01:16 PM)
Locally, we have cars come up in the 1500-3000 range that just have rusty battery trays/hellholes. Those are easy to fix. All that rust in your car is way too much to tackle IIHO unless the car is dear to you. You can't fix all the rust on that type of car as Perry said. It will reappear!
Buy one that is in better condition to start with as shipping is only 800-1000! dead horse.gif

even if ill cut all the rusted areas , weld new parts insted, put all the rust fighting prudocts and do a full replacmant of rusted areas( never mind the costs)???
thanks
Bleyseng
Once the chassis starts to rust that bad its rusting elsewhere from the inside out from the hidden areas ie -front cowl, inner longs, suspension points etc.
just passing on a word of advice.......

SirAndy
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 7 2005, 04:30 PM)
I hope you got that car for free as its gone IMHO unless its a six or a 916.

agree.gif junk ...

floorpans are gone, longs are gone. that car would take some serious $$$ and time to repair.
you'd be *MUCH* better off to buy a car or roller from CA ...

sad.gif Andy
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 8 2005, 03:59 PM)

agree.gif junk ...

floorpans are gone, longs are gone. that car would take some serious $$$ and time to repair.

sad.gif Andy

I'm gonna have one for sale soon.. longs, firewall and floors are solid, body is rusty (sail panels, around the windshield) Make one good one out of two! biggrin.gif
bender
QUOTE (bondo @ Nov 8 2005, 03:16 PM)

agree.gif junk ...

sad.gif Andy

I'm gonna have one for sale soon.. longs, firewall and floors are solid, body is rusty (sail panels, around the windshield) Make one good one out of two! biggrin.gif

engine?
year?
price?
thanks
bondo
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 8 2005, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Nov 8 2005, 03:16 PM)

agree.gif junk ...

sad.gif Andy

engine?
year?
price?
thanks

engine? Nope
year? 1971
price? Best offer

Once I've swaped the parts over that I need (sometime in December probably) it goes to the highest bidder. Even if that's only $1. biggrin.gif

See this thread for pics. Wheels are not included, but will be for sale separately for $500. Otherwise it will be on stock steel wheels. I'll have more details on what is included after I've swapped off parts I need, but for now, if it's not purple, it probably isn't included. smile.gif

Remember, it's not for sale yet, this is just a heads up that it will be soon. Details and up close photos of longs, etc will be posted in a classified ad once it's officially for sale.
lapuwali
You need to start looking at Craigslist. There are always at least 3-4 914s for sale there, and currently there are six, all in the SF Bay Area. I'm sure there are more in the LA area. One guy in Stockton has two rollers for sale for only $800 (for the pair). If you want someone local to check out a car for you, just ask here. There are plenty of people here capable and willing to do so.
bondo
Oh, and replacement panels (used) for most of the problems will be included.
bender
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Nov 8 2005, 03:32 PM)
You need to start looking at Craigslist.  There are always at least 3-4 914s for sale there, and currently there are six, all in the SF Bay Area.  I'm sure there are more in the LA area.  One guy in Stockton has two rollers for sale for only $800 (for the pair).  If you want someone local to check out a car for you, just ask here.  There are plenty of people here capable and willing to do so.

thanks a lot
really!!!!!!

according to the pic, if ill replace and weld all the floor pans( including the trunk), replace all the rocket panels componants(inner, outer etc), the door jamb, seats mounts
which parts do u think will be important to check\replace
thanks a lot guys
p.s
i prefair to pay a little bit( or mybe not so little) more and to replace the parts and not do dealing with shippmants of car , and storing another car, i know it will be more expensive to replace all the parts in my car, but i prefair it ,
my only question is:

is it doable and if i could and would enjoy this kind of car after all welding and replacing of the parts and rusted areas( and i mean all of them)
i get oppossite answers so im a little bit confused
thanks agian dear members wacko.gif
bender
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 8 2005, 02:59 PM)

agree.gif junk ...

sad.gif Andy

the clamshell is the answer for the rutten longs?
914werke
Craigslist and other want adds are littered with "projects" that have been abadoned by well intentions folks like you. They start "digging into hell" and only the stongest come out the other side with what they envisoned. Many just lose intrest & or run out of money.
Were not trying to discorage you, I think ALL here would like you to succede, that said, I think you have a greeater chance at succeding if you start with something not so far gone. unsure.gif
Rouser
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 8 2005, 05:31 PM)
even if ill cut all the rusted areas , weld new parts insted, put all the rust fighting prudocts and do a full replacmant of rusted areas (never mind the costs)???
thanks

bender, listen to SirAndy, and get the hint from some of the others; the car is junk, or what we refer to as a "parts car." There is rust EVERYWHERE, and that's only what I see in the pics under all the bubbling paint and pinhole daylight.

We're not so much as trying to spare your feelings as much as sparing your wallet; this car can turn into a serious money pit. You won't recoup your investment any time soon (lucky if you break even), since the car isn't remarkable in any way, shape, or form. Did Ferdinand Porsche pass gas in it? Is it a 914-6 with one of Porsche's super-secret street racing motors (Shhh ...)? Did some famous prom queen/actress lose her virginity in it? Worse yet, is this your 1st car or (shudder) 1st Porsche?

Believe us, there are better examples out there, REGARDLESS of how much you got the car for (free, I'm guessing). I've talked to some (with the necessary skills) who have taken on restorations (rust-orations?) similar to this (914's even), and they still twitch uncontrollably when talking about it. Mind you, those are the finished projects! Drugs keep my twitching to a minimum. screwy.gif

For what you'll spend getting all that brown-ugly shiny and ready for paint, you can get a decent driver and save the therapy funds toward a possible Big-4 or -6 upgrade; we know of what we speak. cool_shades.gif
TROJANMAN
some one had a roller for sale in cali recently. i think $200 or something. in the classifieds
r_towle
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 8 2005, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Nov 8 2005, 03:32 PM)
You need to start looking at Craigslist.  There are always at least 3-4 914s for sale there, and currently there are six, all in the SF Bay Area.  I'm sure there are more in the LA area.  One guy in Stockton has two rollers for sale for only $800 (for the pair).  If you want someone local to check out a car for you, just ask here.  There are plenty of people here capable and willing to do so.

thanks a lot
really!!!!!!

according to the pic, if ill replace and weld all the floor pans( including the trunk), replace all the rocket panels componants(inner, outer etc), the door jamb, seats mounts
which parts do u think will be important to check\replace
thanks a lot guys
p.s
i prefair to pay a little bit( or mybe not so little) more and to replace the parts and not do dealing with shippmants of car , and storing another car, i know it will be more expensive to replace all the parts in my car, but i prefair it ,
my only question is:

is it doable and if i could and would enjoy this kind of car after all welding and replacing of the parts and rusted areas( and i mean all of them)
i get oppossite answers so im a little bit confused
thanks agian dear members wacko.gif

it is doable.

You will LOVE the 914 once you have it all back together.

Get some of the restoration books on 914's....have fun get it done.

Rich
bender
guys i got pictures from the engine area, what do u think?
bender
more....
bender
more..
bender
and more..
bender
the passenger side
bender
more pass side
bender
last one
what do u think guys?
i saw that in the firewall no rust, and from what i saw in the engine area nothing seriouse althou i need to take the engine out to really see something..
McMark
It's definitely fixable from a technical point of view, but from a financial point of view it's not fixable. You're going to find a whole separate world of problems on the passenger side of the car. You will be much much much much much much much much farther ahead if you ship a car from CA. It's not that complicated of a process (don't fear it) and there are plenty of members around here that know what they're doing and are willing to go and check out potential cars for you.
Buy a new chassis.
Buy a new chassis.
Buy a new chassis.
Buy a new chassis.
Buy a new chassis.

It may seems scary right now, but we're pointing you in the right direction. I promise.
brant
bender,

its not that its impossible...
but I very much agree with all of those who have advised you to get a different car. Here is how I will frame my arguement.

$$$$$

Plan A to fix your car: if you buy all of the patch panels, welding rod, paint, cutting discs, sawzall blades, and beer for your buddy.... you will have about 6 grand into that shell without a motor, or any mechanicals. Also, your buddy is going to get sick of this project after about 4 months (of evenings and weekends) and possibly quit or even disown you. So you run the risk of loosing a friendship. Not to mention loosing touch with reality, your spare time, your spare money, your girlfriend/spouse.

When you get done you will need to spend another 2-3 thousand on the motor, interior, mechanicals. And after investing all of that time and labour you will have a car worth $4,000

Do you see the math here?
6K + 4K does not equal = 4K

I kid you not.
I know people that started with better shells and have 10 or 20K into their shell with new paint.

Plan B is to buy something else. If you buy a 2K roller and put it together yourself you will still have learned a ton. You will still have the opportunity to have fun with your buddy on smaller projects and you may actually accomplish it in a year or less. When you get done you'll likely have 5-8K into a car that is worth $5,000 because repaired cars (like plan A) are not worth as much as no/low rust cars.

Plan C is probably the best one from a financial standpoint. Borrow, beg, or take out a loan. Buy a NICE car for $5,000 - 6,000. Drive it, wax it, tinker on it. Go to the race track and take drivers education from your local porsche club. When you ever decided to sell it you would be able to sell it for the same 6K or more due to inflation.

( you are not likely to sell it, because you will have so much fun driving it and you won't learn to hate it like you will with trying to fix your current car)

Its your car.
Its not impossible.
but I just hate to see people spend 200% on things.
Not to mention that you have about a 1 in 1000 chance of actually finishing it and getting to drive it.

and isn't driving it part of the point?

If you want to learn to weld so badly. Spend your money on a welding class. or maybe volunteer your time with your buddy on one of his welding projects and let him buy the beer!

brant
TROJANMAN
AA CRAP

those pics look like one of the AA jewels sitting in the lot that is overgrown with weeds due to the recent downpours. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 9 2005, 09:08 PM)
what do u think guys?

barf.gif
longs are completely rusted away behind those rocker panels ....

run for the hills, that's what i think ...
unsure.gif Andy
sgomes
I'll add one note of caution. That car is so badly rusted, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT get underneath it when you jack it up to remove the engine. DO NOT place it on jackstands directly. USE a 2x6 running along each long from front to back. You are going to find that when you try to place anything like a jack or a jack stand under the longs it's going to crunch through.

Please be careful working on that car!

It really sounds like you don't want to give up on her. That's admirable. Just be safe when you are restoring her. There won't be too much left other than the VIN's when your done.
bender
guys thanks alot u far to kind realy pray.gif

a few questions:
1- if the longs rutten, the clumshell wont do the trik 4 it?
2- if ill buy cali car , let say around 1-3K ill get it with the regestration?
3- how long is the shipp from cali to newark , nj?? costs around 800$?

thanks a lot dear dear members
McMark
1. The clam shells work, it's the $ the doesn't add up. Clam shell cost a lot, installation costs a lot. I would expect $3000 per side for parts and labor, at least. wacko.gif
2. Most CA cars are registered. Ask about it when you buy, but expect them to have it.
3. I don't have any personal experience, but shipping should be pretty quick. Within a month, worst case. I think $800-$1000 is appropriate. I think they charge per mile.
brant
I haven't actually shipped a car yet.
but I tried to buy an SVT in boston and went so far as to get shipping quotes for that car.

my quote to colorado from Boston was 850-ish and about 4 days.

brant
lapuwali
Shipping on an open trailer for a car that can be driven on and off the trailer is roughly $1200-1500 from the SF Bay Area to New Jersey (shipped a TR6 from here to Warren, NJ last year). They'll usually charge an extra $100 if they have to winch the car on and off the trailer (as in a roller with no engine). Google for auto transport, and you'll get several places to call. I've used Kiwi's Karriers several times:

Kiwi

They're a broker with many contract drivers at the ready.
bender
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 10 2005, 12:10 PM)
1. The clam shells work, it's the $ the doesn't add up. Clam shell cost a lot, installation costs a lot. I would expect $3000 per side for parts and labor, at least. wacko.gif
2. Most CA cars are registered. Ask about it when you buy, but expect them to have it.
3. I don't have any personal experience, but shipping should be pretty quick. Within a month, worst case. I think $800-$1000 is appropriate. I think they charge per mile.

the clamshell in autoatlanta is 350$ each side- its not that bad
about work and welding my friend will do me a great price so...
i gess 1500-2000 for the clamshell issue
my question is that- thew clamshell will give me the total answer to the rutten longs?
p.s
it needs to cut out the longs and 2 weld the clamshell??
thanks agian
McMark
No the clamshell is only about %65 of the issue. You're only looking at part of the picture.
Bleyseng
You still have to fix the rest of the rust in the trunks, inner longs, floor pans etc. That is where the money is to fix that car!

Total waste of time when you can still can get a roller out of cali for 1500-2000 shipped to your door. That will give you a solid chassis to transfer parts to and then be able to drive for years without worry. dead horse.gif
Andyrew
user posted image

This chassis is gone.

It will split in half soon. That crack is the chassis already splitting.

Spend the money and get a good car (best option) that you can drive and modify to your liking. (and drive WHILE you modify, something that I have been fortunate to enjoy.)

Or like everyone is also saying, buy a chassi. Many good examples. Heck, check the classifieds!!!! Theres a blue flared shell thats been in the classfieds for ever.. and a driver for 2k... Project in oregon, looks nice. 1k

Factor in 1k for shipping...

Gl
brant
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 10 2005, 02:27 PM)
p.s
it needs to cut out the longs and 2 weld the clamshell??
thanks agian

Yes...

if you do any repair to your current car you are wasting your time to not cut out the rotten metal.

If you just cover it up then you can expect the existing rust to rust out your new panels from the inside.

and within a few years your new paint will be bubling also.

Thats part of the trick and skill to restoring a unit body or 914. There is no frame, because the entire car is the frame. So when you cut out the longitudinals, you have to maintain all of the dimensions and measurements very precisely. Most pro shops would use a frame table to do that kind of work. If you mess up or warp the chassis, then you end up with a car that will not take an alignment or else a car where the doors don't shut, or someother problem.

Warping the chassis is a real danger in the door area.

(I still say that you buy a reasonable running car and begin to enjoy it. Even if its a 4K car that needs a paint job. maybe your buddy will cut you a deal on the paint job?)

does the blue car have a known good motor?
how is the interior?
(trying to discern what your up against)

brant
rhcb914
Hi Bender,

I don't know what your budget is for a car but I noticed this on Craigs list.

http://boston.craigslist.org/car/108051890.html

I don't know the details on the car but I'm sure one of us local guys could check it out if it's still available. You might even be able to drive it back to NJ.

-Rob
brant
Rob,
that car sounds sweet!

and bender,
the 1973 2.0 is considered the cream of the crop for all 4 cylinder 914's.

a lot of guys have driven cars out of cali.
this very club will offer to pitch in and check it out for you.
and the club can help you as a safety net during your drive back to NJ.

brant
Rouser
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 10 2005, 12:08 AM)
what do u think guys?
i saw that in the firewall no rust, and from what i saw in the engine area nothing seriouse althou i need to take the engine out to really see something..

Man, my bowels loosened just looking at those pics; makes for a great laxative. I see all those leaves and think, "Outside car, couple dozen winters, seasonal rains, rust, rot, rot, rust, rot, rust ..." A cash register's bell would ring in my head as I scrolled through the images.

bender, FORGET this car. Free or not, your gonna wind up $inking $ome $eriou$ $$$ into it, and that's just at the rot we can see. Don't count on others doing all the welding & work for you, cuz they're gonna learn to hate this car after a while. It's old, and it's going to need a LOT of work.

If you had your heart set on a Porsche 914, save your pennys and get a runner; decent $4K - $6K examples are out there, you just have to be patient and search.
bender
guys im about to abond my 914 sad.gif

probebly around december ill seek after a nice cali car "rust free"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
probebly around 1-3K with engine
my engine is ok and driving, the interior is ok and the tranni also
i want to do the springs and shocks sporty
and also the rabys kit for the 170hp so my base sould and be good and rust free!!!!
ill take a few days\weeks to close my opinion
im still amazed from your kindnes and thw willing 2 help
thanks a lot presiouse members
bender
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 10 2005, 02:46 PM)
Rob,
that car sounds sweet!

and bender,
the 1973 2.0 is considered the cream of the crop for all 4 cylinder 914's.

a lot of guys have driven cars out of cali.
this very club will offer to pitch in and check it out for you.
and the club can help you as a safety net during your drive back to NJ.

brant

how many hourses the 2.0 has?
McMark
The factory claimed 90. But, regardless of the numbers, the 2.0 is a blast to drive. Good stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.