Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust in the rocket panel area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bender
guys do you think its a serious rust??
and i know i need to buy the rocket panel , do i need more parts for it?
thanks a lot
bender
more pic
bender
last one
BMartin914
That IS serious rust. That is your longitudinal - provides structural ridgidity for the car. Any rust behind the rocker panel is not good and that rust is bad.
Rand
The passenger side is usually worse, so be sure to check over there thoroughly.
Verruckt
I think i see about an 1/8" of bondo in that third picture? I hope that it wasn't rigged up so it was hidden. That would suck. But yes, pretty serious rust.
nomore9one4
Yes it is serious. If you can weld and read it can be fixed. between this forum and Pelican Parts you can get detailed instructions on how to replace it. You will even beable to find the replacement parts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. cool_shades.gif
bender
QUOTE (boboli914@att.net @ Nov 4 2005, 03:30 PM)
Yes it is serious. If you can weld and read it can be fixed. between this forum and Pelican Parts you can get detailed instructions on how to replace it. You will even beable to find the replacement parts. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. cool_shades.gif

which parts do you think i need??
thanks alot
Andyrew
See all that red stuff?

Needs to be replaced with shiney stuff.... wink.gif

You can only tell once you grind down all the rust and get to solid metal. Once you do that, then you should be able to know what needs to be reaplaced....

Currently I bet one cubic foot from the hole needs to be replaced.

GL
Its doable.

Rouser
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 4 2005, 07:40 PM)
thanks alot

Best you click here, select 914 Chassis & Exterior, and possibly consider left & rights of items 1, 2, & 6, plus anything else you'll find cancer-ridden upon deep inspection.

There's a whole lot more you haven't seen.
bender
QUOTE (Rouser @ Nov 4 2005, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 4 2005, 07:40 PM)
thanks alot

Best you click here, select 914 Chassis & Exterior, and possibly consider left & rights of items 1, 2, & 6, plus anything else you'll find cancer-ridden upon deep inspection.

There's a whole lot more you haven't seen.

so by the pictures u saw u think for the roket panel area the items u just mentioned it will solve the problem?
it needs to cut the steel out and weld the new parts???

also do you think i need also the rocket clamshells?
or the chassis stiffening kit ?

thanks a lot
bender
the chassis stiffening kit
McMark
You have a significant job in front of you. If can be done, step one if to stop driving the car. Step two is to start stripping parts off of it and using a wire wheel to strip back paint and rust scale to see how bad the problem really is. Finding a good drivers side section off of another car shouldn't be a problem. The passenger side is so common that used replacement panels are hard to find. If you can find one that's monstly good, then you'll be a lot better off. Buying brand new metal for those areas gets really really expensive really quick. Keep us posted. Looks like fun to me, but I'm used to it. wink.gif
bender
the clamshell
McMark
The chassis stiff kit get attached farther back than where your rust is. So it won't help. Get Engman's Chassis Stiff Kit instead.
bender
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 5 2005, 02:19 PM)
The chassis stiff kit get attached farther back than where your rust is. So it won't help. Get Engman's Chassis Stiff Kit instead.

and what about the clamsell??
i need also or the kit that u just mentioned will do it?
thanks alot
p.s

im sorry guys for all these questions becouse im new in it with no experiance or help
so thanks agian
sean_v8_914
there is a 914 club member that posted detail pics of a longitudinal reconstuction. His car is blue and I think the brave chap is in Germany. teh thread title was something like " You must be brave" . His craftsmanship is top notch.
I am not good with the club search tab

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ll%20hole&st=20

the link above it not the one but it is good info
grasshopper
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Nov 5 2005, 02:54 PM)
there is a 914 club member that posted detail pics of a longitudinal reconstuction. His car is blue and I think the brave chap is in Germany.

here is Michelko's rust thread. RUST REPAIR Very indepth. the inspiration for my project smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
If you can find used metal (my recommendation), you don't need the clamshell. But first you must explore just how extensive your problem is and you can not do that with carpet, seats, etc installed.
Trekkor
When I saw that rust, I jumped up on top of my desk and started kicking my feet in the air like a donkey confused24.gif

Yes, it's that bad.

Take all the parts off the car that interfere with the surgery first.

Poke around with a screwdriver to find where the good metal starts. Mark that.

Now determine if you want to fab your own repair parts or find a section from a donor car.

I like those 80 grit flap discs on an angle grinder to clean up metal FAST.

KT
bender
thank a lot guys!!!!!
im gonna take the seats and carpets out and make some pictures and i hope u guys can help me decide what 2 do
thanks a lot agian

pray.gif
nomore9one4
This is the best sight to answer all your 914 questions smilie_pokal.gif Good luck and have fun hunting down all those parts! beerchug.gif
bender
ok dear members
i did a few shots , please tell me what you think

front boot
bender
rear trunk
bender
rear trunk , more
bender
seats area
bender
more
bender
more..
bender
more..
bender
and more
bender
sorry guys...
bender
last
grasshopper
wow, that definetly looks like an east coast car.... that is very serious.... all that can be replaced with replacement parts, or patch certain parts... it can get really expensive though... looks like you need new floors, trunk, jack post and support for drivers side... that part can be patched, if the rust doesn't extend much further... you might need the entire inner long..cant tell... you probably do on the passenger side.... and jack post, and support.... good luck hide.gif
grasshopper
oh yeah, looks like you need a new wiring harness biggrin.gif
grasshopper
another thing biggrin.gif here is the best place for replacement panels.... Restoration design great service, great prices, great products.... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AUTO ATLANTA!!!!!!!!! dead horse.gif
Bleyseng
I hope you got that car for free as its gone IMHO unless its a six or a 916.

Buy a car from Cali or AZ and don't look back!!!!

Even here in the Rainy City our cars are in better condition. smile.gif
Verruckt
I agree with Bleyseng. Unless you are super good with fabrication and welding, or want to learn, that is waaaay gone. My opinion, hang tight and wait for a nice Cali roller to rear it's head. Then just bite the bullet and pay to have it shipped out to you. Then you can have a parts car to pull parts from to put on your cali roller. IMO that would be the easiest way to go about it. I think it's one of those things, that if you have to ask...

Whatever you do, I wish you luck.
bender
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Nov 7 2005, 03:41 PM)
I agree with Bleyseng. Unless you are super good with fabrication and welding, or want to learn, that is waaaay gone. My opinion, hang tight and wait for a nice Cali roller to rear it's head. Then just bite the bullet and pay to have it shipped out to you. Then you can have a parts car to pull parts from to put on your cali roller. IMO that would be the easiest way to go about it. I think it's one of those things, that if you have to ask...  

Whatever you do, I wish you luck.

thanks a lot
let say ill buy all the parts from the site that u guys recommended
the rocket panel kit+ trunk floor+ the front floor+ the stiffening kit ( in the pic)
i need 2 cut the rusted parts and weld the new parts and thats it right?
thanks a lot
agian
bender
the kit..
bender
more
Verruckt
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 7 2005, 05:55 PM)
the kit..

Engmann's kit only "stiffens" the chassis. It would just be a bandaid to fix the actual problem you have, "no metal". You will have to replace the metal thats gone. And as the longs go, that is your frame. When you go to cut out the bad stuff, and weld in the new, the car needs to be supported, in the right way, and keeping dimensions. It's not even close to easy for the inexperienced, and from what i've seen even the pros aren't fond of that repair. If you've got some welding and fabrication skills, then you should be ok. But if you're new to that.. then you're going to have one helluva steep learning curve. Just a fair warning. wink.gif
bender
QUOTE (grasshopper @ Nov 7 2005, 03:05 PM)
another thing biggrin.gif here is the best place for replacement panels.... Restoration design great service, great prices, great products.... DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AUTO ATLANTA!!!!!!!!! dead horse.gif

why not autoatlanta???
Bleyseng
Yes, thats a inner long kit but you need to replace the floor pans before that will work.
Along with the rear trunk repairs....
the door jam replacing.....
outer rockers.....
jackholes...
clutchtube repairs.....
and you haven't shown us a pic of the hellhole!

If you have a body shop in your double garage its doable plus some experience welding, cutting&fitting metal, then forget it.
bender
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Nov 7 2005, 04:03 PM)
Yes, thats a inner long kit but you need to replace the floor pans before that will work.
Along with the rear trunk repairs....
the door jam replacing.....
outer rockers.....
jackholes...
clutchtube repairs.....
and you haven't shown us a pic of the hellhole!

If you have a body shop in your double garage its doable plus some experience welding, cutting&fitting metal, then forget it.

pray.gif biggrin.gif well guys
i friend of mine has a body shop so he will do all the body work and the welding, ill help him... biggrin.gif
ill buy the parts and we will do it together in his shop!!!
in a few more days im gonna take the rocket panel apart and then ill show u guys the pic
thanks a lot agian!!!!!!!!!!1

Rider914
My dad use to say he could fix it with one wing nut. . .
Unscrew the air filter wing nut, and slide a new car under it.

I say do the rust repair, take pictures and post a log here!
bender
guys just a question
what the cost of the body work and the welding in a good bodyshop, whats your estimate??
thanks guys
Verruckt
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 7 2005, 09:32 PM)
guys just a question
what the cost of the body work and the welding in a good bodyshop, whats your estimate??
thanks guys

Easily 4 digits.
bender
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Nov 7 2005, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (bender @ Nov 7 2005, 09:32 PM)
guys just a question
thanks guys

Easily 4 digits.

1k?
2k?
3k?
4k?
Brando
That car is beyond my patience level... and i've got 2 degrees of NARPness to deal with...

Definitely wait for a roller 914 chassis... Southwest cars get shuffled around alot for cheap. You're better off swapping everything to a good chassis that's been treated and painted than trying to fabricate a car around what's left of your seat buckets.
r_towle
2 clamshell kits
both halves of the floor boards
rear suspension console
Rocker covers
Sill plate

All installed by a pro, probably 5-8 days work

I think that there might be better cars in your area.
Check the local PCA and ask around there.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.