Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Sag
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
5dogs
I just spent an hour digging around the problem rust areas on my 73. The only thing I found was a few pin holes on the rear floor underneath, on both sides. I pulled the battery and dug down in the Hell Hole. It all looks good. Rockers, fire wall, are solid. Sooo, my question is this; How much sag is normal, if any?? I noticed my windows hang up slightly on the rubbers seal when car is on the ground but when I jack up the car using the jack points, the windows don't drag. Do I have a problem or do I need to adjust the windows someow?? If I do have a problem, will the Stiffening Kit help?? (Engman, I think!) Thanks again.
grasshopper
how are your door gaps?? are they consistent from the bottom to top?? if its really close on the top, it could be serious, and there could be serious rust somewhere, or... the door's could just need to be adjusted wink.gif
jet1
agree.gif the best way to tell if you have a problem is to
look at the door gap. The windows may just be out of line. Have you removed the rocker panels? The jack points and the longs are where you should look next for rust. If you do have a problem the stiffening kits are not a quick fix. you should fix the rust areas first, then add a stiffening kit if you still need it.
5dogs
The gaps actually look really good. I have taken off the rockers and have not found any more problems besides the stuff mentioned earlier. So, is there some flex in these bodies even if there is NO rust?? Just curious!
seanery
are you noticing this with the top on or top off?
914werke
is there some flex in these bodies even if there is NO rust??

Yes cool_shades.gif the car is thirty plus yrs old ! But Put the top on and try the big butt test beerchug.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (5dogs @ Nov 6 2005, 05:40 PM)
So, is there some flex in these bodies even if there is NO rust?? Just curious!

yes, there is SOME flex in these cars, just because the frame of the car is built in, and there is no chassis
5dogs
I did this with the top on. My top could use some adjusting also. So what is the Big Butt Test? I have heard of it but how do I do it??
grasshopper
QUOTE (5dogs @ Nov 6 2005, 07:13 PM)
I did this with the top on. My top could use some adjusting also. So what is the Big Butt Test? I have heard of it but how do I do it??

get the fattest person you can find, and get him to sit in your car, then try to close your doors biggrin.gif
5dogs
Ok! Thanks for the info. I am 200lbs and my buddy, 225lbs. We sat in both sides and the doors close the same way as if no one was in it, top on. I guess I am ok. Now, someone mentioned adjusting the doors. How is that accomplished? And the window adjustment too? Thanks everyone for responding!
spare time toys
Open the door and lift on the back edge. Much play?? Check the hinge pin wink.gif
URY914
Take the top off and measure from the left corner of the windshield to the right edge of the targa bar and do the same from left to right.

Now do the measurement again with your fat, sorry I mean, husky friends in the car. Record the differance and chart it on graph paper. Do this 10 times and with 10 different cars. Turn this in to your kid's Science teacher and staple a $20 bill to it and you may get a A.

I have NO idea what the acceptable amount of tolerance this sicenific proceedure is, but you could compare it to a rust free car if there is such a thing. confused24.gif

Paul beer.gif
Engman
Actually, the Dave Darling big butt test is done witht he top off. Open passenger side door, get in and see how it closes.

M
SGB
wink.gif
My car is solid too, but it flexes a little....
When I lift the entire side of the car at the jacking doughnut, the door gap on whichever side I am lifting expands maybe 1/16 in. I haven't been worried about it, or surprised either....
unsure.gif
hope I don't end up surprised though. I don't expect so, actually.
Root_Werks
Take the top off, get in, close both doors and "bounce" lightly up and down on the long while holding a finger on the door gap. If you can feel your door gap open and close with each hop or jump, your 914 has been attacked by the rust monster. ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.