Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 disc "racing" metallic clutch on the street?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
For $95, Kennedy Engineering can make a 215mm diameter 6 puck metallic clutch with the 1" X 23 spline count of the Boxster transmission.

As far as I know, no one has an organic clutch in that odd ball configuration.

Stock Boxster clutch is 240mm, not too sure if I could easily and safely turn the diameter down to 215mm.
SirAndy
6 disc "racing" metallic clutch on the street?

if it's anything like the racing clutch i have right now, don't do it ...

my clutch is pretty much on/off, no slip. sucks big time in commuter traffic ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
Mueller
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 8 2005, 03:27 PM)
6 disc "racing" metallic clutch on the street?

if it's anything like the racing clutch i have right now, don't do it ...

my clutch is pretty much on/off, no slip. sucks big time in commuter traffic ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

yea....I just did some more reading and it seems like that is not the direction to go....bummer...
Joe Ricard
I don't know When I drove Jake's 914 this past summer His puck and light flywheel was different but nothin I couldn't drive smoothly.
I'm going to go that route next upgrade. 10lb flywheel lighter pressure plate and 4 or 6 puck disc.
Definately separate the men from the boys when an unsuspecting co-driver jumps in.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 8 2005, 02:58 PM)

Definately separate the men from the boys when an unsuspecting co-driver jumps in.

It will also seperate your clutch linkage from its appropriate gizmos. I recommend the lightest pressure clutch that will do the job for that reason. The Kenedy stage I PP with a stock
6 spring disc works for me....and has for years of abuse.
The clutch pedal in my Mr2 is noticeably heavier than the one in the shitbox.
Mueller
I "think" I found an OEM organic clutch that'll work if I can get away with just a slightly larger clutch OD....I'll know tonight....
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 8 2005, 02:58 PM)
I don't know When I drove Jake's 914 this past summer His puck and light flywheel was different but nothin I couldn't drive smoothly.
I'm going to go that route next upgrade. 10lb flywheel lighter pressure plate and 4 or 6 puck disc.

10lb flywheel ?? I've heard that the stock fans, don't hold up with such a lite flywheel, I, was told Rimco, yusta do 10 pounders, but stoped because of the fan issue, and don't do type lV's less than 12 now?
HP motors would rev so quick, the stock fans came apart. Anyone heard anything about this?
Joe Ricard
When Jake does an engine balance the fan is also part of the equation.
Yup engine spins up pretty quickly but ??? what's that got to do with blowing a fan to pieces?????
Anyway Back to the subject What did you find out Mike?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 9 2005, 07:20 AM)
When Jake does an engine balance the fan is also part of the equation.
Yup engine spins up pretty quickly but ??? what's that got to do with blowing a fan to pieces?????
Anyway Back to the subject What did you find out Mike?

ive seen sheered bolts from a motor that can spool too quick, using a 10lb flywheel
Joe Ricard
Uh, get better bolts and torque correctly?
Brando
agree.gif

That would not be fun.

"Why are my head temps climbing so fast??"
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 9 2005, 09:29 AM)
Uh, get better bolts and torque correctly?

goes without saying. not trying to be a prude...,just saying what ive seen.

your mileage may vary

That would not be fun.

"Why are my head temps climbing so fast??"

Your alternator light would go on instantly slap.gif
groot
I run a flywheel that's less than 10 pounds on the race car "junkyard dog" engine. I've run different fans on it with questionable balance. No ill effects so far and I've put a lot of race miles on that engine this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.