Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stud size question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
I am replacing one exhaust stud. Brad told me Zims sells a stud that half of it is oversized to make up for the stripped threads in the head. My questions are1) What size should I get (just to be clear), and 2) Is there any installation tricks I should know about before doing this. confused24.gif Thanks mueba.gif
Mueller
Which oversized stud to use mostly depends on the diameter of the hole after the stud has been yanked out of the head.....You'll have to measure the hole to see if you can get enough material to safely tap the head.

I've retapped for a bigger diameter stud and I have also HeliCoiled for the stud.

I'm pretty sure the stud is normally 8mm/8mm in diameter and that 8mm/9mm and 8mm/10mm studs are available

If you feel comfortable doing the Helicoil route, just get another 8mm/8mm stud
tryan
check out the ssi thread on the pp 911. john walkers jig for exhaust stud drilling looks effective, cheap and cool.

getting the hole straight is what i f up.
Dave_Darling
Not Mueller.... He just don't know when to stop drilling!! wink.gif

The studs are also available at your local VW Bug shop, and very possibly also the dealer. You can imagine that this is a common problem with Bugs...

--DD
seanery
What about case certs like they do on 911 mag cases?

Will that work for this?
Dave_Darling
If I recall correctly, there isn't really enough room to use those.

--DD
BenNC
When I pulled off my exhaust and the replacement exhaust I got about a 50:50 ratio of nuts coming off studs to studs coming out of head. Everything seemed to come out smoothly.

Is it in by best interests to tap for a 9mm/8mm or can I just replace with 8mm/8mm?

If I can go with the 8mm/8mm, where can I get them? My local shop sells the 9mm/8mm.

Yes, jdogg I'm working on replacements for you too. smile.gif
Rouser
I just recently had to replace a pulled exhaust stud.

Get a 8mm Helicoil (or kit), the recommended drill bit (sorry, don't remember the oddball size) and a 8mm/8mm stud from any VW shop. Heck, sometimes you can pick out the alumi-ni-um-numi-num from the stud and reuse it; your call.

Chances are you WON'T have to tap out to the larger 9mm size if you can help it; the 8mm Helicoil and stud will work out fine.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.