Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reinstalling the impeller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
how tight do i tighten the 3 bolts that hold the impeller on?

haynes dosent say, not that i can find
SLITS
Page 12....very bottom.....14.5 ft/lbs

JOHN...OH JOHN...BUY YOUR KID SOME GLASSES

lol2.gif
Flat VW
I can't afford them, between the torque wrenches, degreaser, gaskets and seals clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif (oark, oark,oarK {seal sound effects}) and THEN all the vittles chowtime.gif .........

John
Aaron Cox
haynes lists most everything.

wink.gif
shaggy
ok, i missed it

but in my defence id like to pose a question:

why was the number not included on page 36 about reinstalling the fan/alternater/belt?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 9 2005, 05:38 PM)
ok, i missed it

why was the number not included on page 36 about reinstalling the fan/alternater/belt?

Because it's a non-specific 8mm bolt. Most 8mm bolts with hex heads go to 14-18 ft/lbs, and inhex (allen) and triple square go to 31. 7mm (and the 8mm sump nut) go to 11, 6mm about the same, 10mm usually go to 35, and 12mm generally go to 56. The book is a guide, not a step by step procedureal document. Having used various manuals over the last 40 years, I find Haynes to be of only minor use, but it's better than Chilton or Clymer. Too bad Bentley Publishers doesn't have one for our cars.
The Cap'n
shaggy
so 6mm's go to 11 or so?
bondo
QUOTE (shaggy @ Nov 9 2005, 06:38 PM)
ok, i missed it

It is the Haynes way. Don't ask why, it just is. They never say anything twice, you need to read it cover to cover to find what you need.

Also, never forget: "based on a complete teardown and rebuild". Which means if you need to do something shown in step 15, you may not NEED to do steps 1-14. I helped my bro change the heater core in his truck once.. haynes told us to remove half the dash, the whole AC/heater box, then remove the heater core. Halfway through that we found the removable door on the bottom of the heater box that's accessible with everything else in place. Many many hours of extra work, all because of "based on a complete teardown and rebuild". We burned the haynes manual after that. (I'm not kidding, and it felt good)
shaggy
hahahahahahahaha! biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

ill remember that
thanks
BMartin914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 04:29 PM)
haynes lists most everything.

wink.gif

agree.gif

HAYNES...HAYNES...HAYNES... rolleyes.gif
SLITS
ok, i missed it

Hey, don't get upset......try to find "How to mark a new impeller" and then find the photo that goes with it wacko.gif

It's been my experience that most manuals list the torque settings in the specifications part of a chapter with no further reference in the procedure text.
BMartin914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 9 2005, 07:42 PM)
ok, i missed it

Hey, don't get upset......try to find "How to mark a new impeller" and then find the photo that goes with it wacko.gif

It's been my experience that most manuals list the torque settings in the specifications part of a chapter with no further reference in the procedure text.

This is correct. Haynes lists all torque settings in the first few pages of a chapter. You have to look to find what you need, but it is there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.