Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /4 Cylinder mods? replace iron fins w/alum?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
i know there has to be a few people here that have experimented with the /4 motors quite extensively...so....

Has anyone here or anyone know anyone that has removed the stock cast iron fins of a cylinder in order to replace it with aluminum fins for better heat dissipation?

I know 100% alum cylinders are available ($2000.00 cylinders only)
and from the same company aluminum finned iron cyliders can be bought
(~$1000.00, cylinders only)

Just wondering who in the past has done this? I'm pretty darn sure "somebody" has done it smile.gif
tryan
the biral(sp) cylinders on the 911 e's? i think the aluminum is a spin cast arount the cast iron cylinder. l and n boys doing it? sleeving and old al cylinder?
Mueller
LN's stuff is brand new, both the alum and the composite units.

I just wanted to see if anyone was willing to share a story of doing some different type of R&D from back in the day smile.gif
tryan
does mahle or kobleschmit (sp) have any vintage manufacturing info?

edit.....what would be cool is aluminum tinsle wrap like the coils on a trane or american standard heat pump/ac outdoor coil. that would release some heat.
seanery
it would be efficient but not sturdy.

That's the problem with those units. If you're not careful cleaning them you can damage them. But when done correctly, they are very efficient.
Mueller
it would be efficient but not sturdy.

huh???

larger bore (3.0+) 911 cylinders are 100% aluminum (coated internally)
seanery
referring to the trane thought.
Have you seen a trane coil?

They look like christmas tinsle (sp?). Very efficient at dissipating heat, but easily bent and fubar'd.
maf914
I've seen the LN cylinders, both the Birals (ductile iron cylinder with aluminum fins) and the Nikasils (all aluminum) and they are both pretty. Pretty pricey too! I think some 100mm Birals would be a good starting point for a hi-po T4.

Don't know about old time aluminum cylinders, but I think there may have been a few as this has been discussed on STF in the past.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.