Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: people SUCK!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
as a side-job i help people with thier computers.....

I helped this one girl with her computer....spent like four hours over there at HER house. got french kissed by the dog too dry.gif .....i gave them a price of 70 dollars, and the girl gave me a check.

I deposit it, and i check my acc't tonight and find that NOT only was the check cancelled, since I relied on that money, I now have a huge overdraft....

ar15.gif ar15.gif

how do i protect myself from this in the future....dont take checks?

b
North Bay 914
Stern will give ya a kiss...
Tom Perso
$70 for 4 hours? You're cheap.

I'm $100 from 1-59 minutes. Then $50/hr after that. I do quick work, and they don't call me back for stupid shit.

Oh yeah, I only take cash too.

It's a tough world out there. Either take cash or carry around your own credit card swiper.

Tom
Pnambic
Hmmm...how much does it cost to file a lien on their property? If nothing else, it'll make them look shitty when/if they go to sell their house.

Or call 'em up and pretend like you haven't noticed the check crap and tell them you found something to keep their problem from returning and would like to stop by real quick to take care of it free of charge. Then wipe their boot sector or something....hehehe
nomore9one4
Tell them you will not call the feds about "the pictures"if they kindly give you cash! smile.gif
URY914
Go back over there, knock on the door and get the cash.
elwood-914
Britt, Did you call and find out why they canciled the check? If I did some work and didn't get paid, I would take them to small claims, just getting served they might pay up. And yes you should be charging more. Hell if you charged what you should, we might hear you bitch that you have both of your cars on the road.
Sparky
Britt call 'em on it. Give them the chance to pay, cash, and don't do business with them again. When you talk to them let them know most people charge anywhere from 45-65 an hour with a 3 hour min.

Mike D.
tat2dphreak
don't take checks... cash only... $50 an hour minimum... if you time is only worth 17.50 an hour, a job at a department store is easier...

I charged $100 to add RAM to a co-worker's computer.... I counted driving time to get to him though, so that was about an hour ("work" + driving)

I build comuters for people up at work that want a new PC, but not a Dell... it's not worth my time if I'm not getting paid... and Cash is all I accept(unless they have something to trade: guns, computer stuff, car parts, etc... )

if I do it for a friend, I don't charge, but my friends usually know how to do the stuff...

for these people, definately call them on it, and charge them a $20 returned check fee... like any business would...

beerchug.gif
Bartlett 914
Hi Britt

Tell her that if she needs a code to remove the virus you installed which in 2 days will delete everything unless she pays up now!

Mark
Bartlett 914
Oh and don't forget she needs to pay extra for the code!
Root_Werks
You must be young.
sjhowitson
Small claims is the best avenue of attack. Just being served will help alot. Cash up front is the best form of payment. I feel your pain ...people think they can take advantage. I would have a contract form with you when you take on a job. If you have the phone number of this person several phone calls at the dinner hour would be helpful. She owes you the $$$$ be forceful. Post the number and we will help. Calls from "bill collectors"
dbledsoe
Call her and get her side of the story. Maybe she's strapped for cash, in which case tell her you'll take it out in trade i.e., four hours worth of grouphug.gif sheeplove.gif with her. happy11.gif If she's ugly, well forget I even replied here. cool_shades.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Nov 10 2005, 10:49 AM)
Call her back and get her side of the story. Maybe she's strapped for cash, in which case tell her you'll take it out in trade i.e., four hours worth of grouphug.gif sheeplove.gif with her. happy11.gif If she's ugly, well forget I even replied here. cool_shades.gif

ahh... beauty is usually only a light switch away... smile.gif but FAT, that glows in the dark...
Hawktel
I don't work on friends computers. I help them choose the stuff, and tell them how to put it together, and if they bring it over, I let them use my bench, but I don't pick up one componet. They do all the work. Takes longer, but its worth it.
Brando
Price is on par with experience, in my experience.

Call them about the check. Tell them you want cash. Don't do any computer work for them again.
balljoint
How was the dog? smile.gif
rhodyguy
never, NEVER, run a personal check through your account unless you are absolutely positive it is good. cash it at the issuers bank. how many checks were written against the overdraft? forget small claims court. contact the police. what are the laws in your state regarding hanging bad paper? in the future; cash, money order, cashiers check. if you are told "money orders are too exspensive", walk away. they can be had for pennies.

recontact the person. be polite. don't mention the bad check yet. tell her you forgot something and you want to finnish the job. do what ever it takes to lock down the computer, new password-whatever. now you get to tell her what the bad check fees are, the additional fees for the extra labor, and you will take CASH ONLY. if she balks, tell her it will only cost more if you have to come back again and walk away.

k
bd1308
QUOTE (balljoint @ Nov 10 2005, 10:07 AM)
How was the dog? smile.gif

definately marked another first for me.

the dog enjoyed it i think.

b
bd1308
well I'm goign to go to the bank and start a bunch of shit.....

why didn't they call me.....

I'll do cash only for now on.

I had no idea somebody could pull a check--first time i've been scammed.

b
TonyAKAVW
This is such a common problem that the county of Los Angeles has a bad check restitution program. Essentially you have to send the check writer a notice saying that they need to pay you, and if they don't the restitution program comes in and it then becomes a case prosecuted by the district attorney. At that point they are forced to pay you for the check plus the fees from the bank, and if they still refuse to pay, then it becomes a criminal case and then they are forced to go to court where they will be forced to pay triple the amount of the check plus fees!

See if there's a similar program in your area...

-Tony
effutuo101
I agree with a lot of posts. in some states, the person is responsible for 10x the amount of the check.. or $700 in your case plus overdraft fees, plus returned check fees. Start with the PoPo first. The checks might be stolen. (a case in Washington this week showed a mother stole checks from her son and wrote a bunch of bad checks). You might be able to help solve a case. If not, you can pursue small claims. As a freedom of speach thing, take a copy of the check to all of the stores in the area that the person lives and tell them for their protection, you have noticed....
Cash on the barrel head forever is a good idea. Good luck.
rhodyguy
it's not your bank's fault britt. be polite. does the bank have a little sign stating "funds from personal checks deposited may not be available for 10 working days"? go to the bank the check was written on. even if your bank has an "overdraft policy" and covers the checks written, they are prob going to charge you a "fee" per item. my bank covers the checks but they charge $25 per and the fee is automaticlly deducted from the account. don't write anymore checks until your account balance is resolved. good luck.

k
Aaron Cox
britt - you got hosed chief smile.gif

here is what i would do. walk/call over there. say "I need to be payed NOW in CASH, or i will see you in court"

goodbye
AA
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 10 2005, 11:39 AM)
well I'm goign to go to the bank and start a bunch of shit.....

why didn't they call me.....

I'll do cash only for now on.

I had no idea somebody could pull a check--first time i've been scammed.

b

LOL, if a bank called people everytime a person bounced a check they wou;d lose money because of phone bills and people that just call... get real man! bank didn't do this... go after the woman with the check and the whorish dog...

I had a paycheck bounce in college, luckily I hadn't spent all of it yet... but still got hit with several over-draft fees... they person made good on the check and paid the overdrafts, since it was an over-sight on his part... people don't like the thought of getting sued...
bd1308
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 10 2005, 11:58 AM)
britt - you got hosed chief smile.gif

here is what i would do. walk/call over there. say "I need to be payed NOW in CASH, or i will see you in court"

goodbye
AA

went to the bank, they halved my overage fees....i'm getting my los parentes to loan me 70 clams to cover the rest.

the bank is going to get a image of the check...

I was nice, i didn't have to lay the B bomb over there. I'm saving that for the house on Washburn Avenue, Louisville, KY

b

oh and about court: isn't small claims court costs expensive? Cano......

b
Aaron Cox
which house?
bd1308
after the railroad tracks....8th house on right...

lets get like 10 914s there.....

with bats...and latex gloves.

b
Cano
You can file a Complaint in small claims court, but the time you will lose doing so and in going to the hearing for such a small amount does not make that approach cost effective by any means. . . plus, even if you have a judgment you still have to collect it.

Can't file a lien in KY upon your facts unless you have a judgment (see above).

I would suggest filing a criminal complaint with the county attorney. That way, the state is acting as your "lawyer" and it will not cost you anything other than the time to file the Complaint. Tell them you want restitution as part of the penalty. That way, as long as the defendant makes restitution to you, they will only get a slap on the wrist at most (probably all charges will be dropped as long as they make you whole).

Good luck
bd1308
thats cool.

thanks.

b
Cano
Hell, Britt, PM or call me with all the facts and I will write them a demand letter. Often that will do the trick.
MikeP
I own a finance company I could have an account manager call and say you sold us their paper and we're pursuing collections if you want.
Grimstead
In California small claims will award you direct fees related to the case (filling fees, serving costs, etc...) but won't give you money for time & trouble. The nice thing is once you win the case, you can do all sorts of Evil things to the other party. We just went through the small claims process here a couple of months ago. I even had a mean-ass 6.2'+ board member here serve the papers for us chair.gif .
The case went to court, the other party didn't show up (apparently very few ever do) and we won the case. The only bad thing was my Wife spent allot of time researching and preparing for our case and when we won the other party just sent us a check and my Wife never got to do any of the Evil (legal) things to get our money (she was very bummed about that (we are not the nicest people when crossed)). happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Grimstead @ Nov 10 2005, 11:56 AM)
In California small claims will award you direct fees related to the case (filling fees, serving costs, etc...) but won't give you money for time & trouble. The nice thing is once you win the case, you can do all sorts of Evil things to the other party. We just went through the small claims process here a couple of months ago. I even had a mean-ass 6.2'+ board member here serve the papers for us chair.gif .
The case went to court, the other party didn't show up (apparently very few ever do) and we won the case. The only bad thing was my Wife spent allot of time researching and preparing for our case and when we won the other party just sent us a check and my Wife never got to do any of the Evil (legal) things to get our money (she was very bummed about that (we are not the nicest people when crossed)). happy11.gif

"You got served mugfugga" laugh.gif
Jenny
Britt, whatever means you use to get your money, make sure you get the original amount ($70.00) plus your bank fees (get the full amount, she doesn't have to know your bank is going halfsies on this with you. Your bank should generate a statement for youwith a copy of the check stating what their fees are for an NSF check) plus any other money you're out for being overdrawn since you were expecting that $70 to be there. That includes any checks you may bounce due to her cancelling her check, any late fees you may accru, etc... Get it all. And then go after your gas and time. That's not free either.

Yes, people do suck. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Jen
MattR
Small claims court? rolleyes.gif

Is the 70 bucks really that important? Dude, have some fun. You're good with computers. You have their IP, right? Get creative...

biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
if she was hot, what are you doing asking her for money? slap.gif
Jenny
Well, for me, it's more than just the $70. It's the principle of it all. Plus $70 isn't chump change. Especially for someone younger like Britt (or even yourself) unless you're independently wealthy. Yes, fuching with someone is fun, especially when they deserve it. But your well deserved $70 in your bank account is probably better. rolleyes.gif

Jen
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Nov 10 2005, 12:13 PM)
Well, for me, it's more than just the $70. It's the principle of it all. Plus $70 isn't chump change. Especially for someone younger like Britt (or even yourself) unless you're independently wealthy. Yes, fuching with someone is fun, especially when they deserve it. But your well deserved $70 in your bank account is probably better. rolleyes.gif

Jen

word.

70 bucks is 70/3000 of what i make a year. 2,3% of my yearly earnings smile.gif

all about principle
Elliot_Cannon
Don't worry Aaron. You'll be making a least twice that as a civil engineer. laugh.gif
Elliot
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Nov 10 2005, 12:56 PM)
Don't worry Aaron. You'll be making a least twice that as a civil engineer. laugh.gif
Elliot

gawd, i hope so Elliotttt

i got kids to feed mang ohmy.gif
bd1308
well yeah...even though me and the bank are all taken care of, i'm still going to persue this person. I'm still out my money. In fact i'm calling her right now....as I type.

cano, thanks for your help. i appreciate it, and i'll let you know if I need your help smile.gif

the bank said it could be something simple, like me not signing the check....but they could also have bouced the check. (i always endorse checks before i cash them)
b
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 10 2005, 12:06 PM)
well yeah...even though me and the bank are all taken care of, i'm still going to persue this person. I'm still out my money. In fact i'm calling her right now....as I type.

b

why would you want to do that? confused24.gif you alreday know she doesn't put out (the cash that is) happy11.gif
elwood-914
So you called and what happend? Throw us a bone Britt!
Did she tell you that you fix computers about as well as you adust valves on a type IV? Come on just given you a hard time. Post her phone number and we'll call her!
bd1308
everything is taken care of betweeen the bank and myself....the phone number I had was the girl's room-mate, who happened to be her banker as well...I explaned what happened, she said check was good now. confused24.gif

now that I know the branch manager very well, she told me that I should collect this fee for returned checks and under her breath she said overdraft fees....should i collect this? I mean assumably checks are good to cash if written, but is she responsible for me not being able use her money that she gave me and then (in essence) took back?

b
Aaron Cox
judge judy yo huh.gif
bd1308
if i were on there, she'd make me crap my pants....

she scares the living daylights out of me....

good part is though is that she's in CA(i thought so at least), which means R-O-A-D-T-R-I-P

b
scotty b
Her roomate is her banker??? wub.gif Sounds like a scam to me. Two hot chicks get werk done write a bad check, apologize, smile, flash a little hootie and move on to the next starving student. Yep, chowtime.gif carpet munchers. drooley.gif
bd1308
the banker owns the house, the other one has a Boyfriend...who was there that night.

as far as i know, the only one that was lonely was the dog that night....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.