Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.o Euro pistons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Does anyone have a set of 2.0 Euro pistons out of the box and could give me a measurement.

I am looking for top of piston to top of ring #1.

A pic would help too...

Thanx
Rich
Mueller
I measure 6mm on this one......
r_towle
thanx,

While your there...

Top to center of pin please....

Rich
Mueller
35mm

hopefully someone else will confirm these numbers....
r_towle
its ok...I was just measuring the dished top ones.

The top to pin seems to be the same, top to ring is a little bit over 7mm

So, I could take a bit off the top of the dished pistons to flatten them out and still stay away from the ring a safe distance...

Now, on a stock engine, I heard there is a head gasket, that if removed, I could get the CR into the same range as the Euro pistons...maybe not exactly the same, but closer than stock....

Rich
Jake Raby
The head gasket should be removed no matter what, as per the VW bulletin.

The head gasket is .027-.030 thick, the difference that makes in CR is much lass then the difference between a stock US spec/ euro spec piston

BTW_ I have dozens of sets of Euro spec pistons that have came from core engines- I sell them for 50 bucks a set and all they need is rings- They use the same rings as the US Spec.
Joe Ricard
Ya see .... somebody else is a genious like me.
I will be doing this on them Bus pistons. Now I even know how much. COOL aktion035.gif
The only thing that is different will be the squish and shape of the flame front inside the combustion chamber.
Yes getting rid of the head gasket is OK. Just don't get too over zealous in deck hieght.
Joe Ricard
YA know What? I was just reading Mike's Turbo Thread and got this tingling up my spine as I was getting this hair brained idea.
Bus pistons for a 2.0l turbo idea.gif
not too much boost so as to blow the heads off but could make a hell of a power house for my Autocross car.
Jake Raby
Yep- They really help with the deck volume for a Turbo, BUT they are cast and atill heavy as hell...

I absolutely expect the first thing to go on my Turbo meltdown engine will be the stock pistons.

The 2081cc Turbo I'm working with for my 914 has a 38cc dish in the piston!

The limiting factor with the stock bus pistons is the fact that they are so heavy that the wrist pin bosses won't to rip out of the piston @ higher RPM... That heavy piston wants to continue going forward and when the rod yanks it back the other direction things can get hairy quick..

Go for it- You'll find the same limitations that I did, I'm sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.