Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relays... stupid question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Quick, stupid question. How do the relays on the relay board come out? The little plastic covers pop off but I can't seem to figure out how to get the rest out. I'm asking so i don't screw something up. smile.gif
Mueller
the relay should come off the board before the cover comes off...sounds like bad corrosion.....
r_towle
grab, wiggle, pull
platic cover stays on the relay
Allan
When I first got my car I had the same problem. I found out the adhesive that holds the cap on gets brittle and breaks after 30+ years. I just took a utility knife and pried it out of the socket then re-glued the cap back on.

Hope that helps...
bd1308
some of the seals on those relays suck, so you end up pulling off the over before getting the relay off...

the old ones used a sealer glue to hold the 2 pieces together.

the new ones are much better.

but i typically use a knife to get some leverage and gently work the relay out of the socket.

b
Hammy
dry.gif peachy.

So how shall I get them off now ?

edit... I'll try and use a knife. I won't get shocked will I smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Hammy @ Nov 10 2005, 05:49 PM)
dry.gif peachy.

So how shall I get them off now ?

edit... I'll try and use a knife. I won't get shocked will I smile.gif

with power off or being carefull, use a small blade screwdriver and pry them off.......
bd1308
it's all in the plan wink.gif

nope...as long as your ignition is off.

b
Allan
QUOTE (Hammy @ Nov 10 2005, 04:49 PM)
I won't get shocked will I smile.gif

If in doubt, disconnect the battery. wink.gif
Flat VW
I grab em' with neddlenose pliars on the large pins (same diameter as the leg of the relay that extend up thru the base of the relay.

John
Hammy
Sweet
Turns out it was a bad relay making my heater blower not work smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Nov 10 2005, 05:49 PM)
I'll try and use a knife. I won't get shocked will I smile.gif

how about disconnecting the battery ???

idea.gif Andy
Marlow
These little relays are pretty hardy. This one came out of my car's relay board, and it still worked!!
Hammy
Wow. ohmy.gif
What do relays do ? how do they work? After looking at my busted one I see the little spring and a plate it connects to and then coil wire underneath that.. wacko.gif
bd1308
guys!!! i got this one:

okay, a relay is a switch. see, a switch can only handle loads up to a certain amount (25 amps or so)....

a relay is used to switch on a huge circuit....its like a switch for a switch...

switch--->relay---->starter/lights/heater blower.

the switch engages the relay which engages the desired object

clap.gif b
Marlow
Relays allow a low power switch to control a large current device.

They have a low current side and a high current side. Power is applied to the low current side which energizes a magnetic field and draws the high current side open or closed (depending if the relay is Normally Open or Normally Closed).

In our little 914 relays (see photo above) power is applied to the copper coil, a magnetic field is created, pulls the top plate down and causes the high current side to make it's connection. Once the power is removed the magnetic field collapses and the spring pulls on the plate and breaks the connection on the high current side.

Their operation is pretty simple.

Hammy
idea.gif
Thanks for explanation guys

I'm thinking about going and buying a book on basic electronics and such... Figure I'll solve a lot of 914 problems too smile.gif
motorhead
While you're at it, go to your local wrecking yard/s, see if you can find a wrecked teener. Shouldn't be hard. I grabbed about 3 or 4 as spares about 15 years ago. Headlights each have one, and a few in the relay board. As I recall, tariff was about 3 bucks for the batch. If you have one in the glovebox, you'll never need it. cool.gif
Allan
QUOTE (motorhead @ Nov 10 2005, 06:20 PM)
If you have one in the glovebox, you'll never need it. cool.gif

agree.gif
blitZ
I had a similar problem when the heat lever is engaged, a fuse on the relay board blew, which is shared by the fuel pump. Are these relays interchangeable or unique to each socket?
Walter
Bit OT, but I need such a complete relais board, since I want to start my engine seperate from the car...
Can't seem to find one over here for little money.

A PM will do biggrin.gif

Thanks guys,
Walter
blitZ
I think there are currently a few on ebay, if you can get the seller to ship it to you.
Walter
QUOTE (blitZ @ Nov 11 2005, 06:48 AM)
I think there are currently a few on ebay, if you can get the seller to ship it to you.

Ok, thanks, I'll look there too!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (blitZ @ Nov 11 2005, 04:06 AM)
Are these relays interchangeable or unique to each socket?

The round relays are completely interchangeable. Some are different colors, which means they can handle different amounts of current, but I believe all of the ones in the 914 are the lowest-current ones they made. So any round Bosch relay will work in any 914 round relay socket.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (Walter @ Nov 11 2005, 07:25 AM)
Bit OT, but I need such a complete relais board, since I want to start my engine seperate from the car...

you can still buy them brand-spanking-new from porsche ...

i did, solved a lot of electrical gremlins i had in the car ...
wink.gif Andy
Flat VW
Howdy Dave, wavey.gif

Any idea what the "current rating" of those round relays in the teener may be?

John
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 11 2005, 10:13 AM)

Nope. I do believe that the black is the lowest one, and red is higher. There may be other colors, but I haven't seen them.

--DD
Flat VW
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Nov 11 2005, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 11 2005, 10:13 AM)

Nope. I do believe that the black is the lowest one, and red is higher. There may be other colors, but I haven't seen them.

--DD

thx,

J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.