Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler line sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Will be installing an oil cooler up front when the car comes back from paint.
With the plan of doing a six conversion in a year or so, what size cooler, lines and fittings would you all suggest.
I am not as concerned with the cooling for the 4...but want to make sure I have plenty of cooling capacity once I do the conversion. Car is used for AX, DE and TT
We run in the summer at Th and BW where it can be 105+ in the shade.
What suggestions do you have?
sawzall-smiley.gif
Aaron Cox
do a search. common knowledge is -8 for a 4, im running -10 with a huge pump....and am told thats the biggest you can go for a 4.

-12 is the minimum you can run for a 6 dry.gif

_16
Trekkor
Oil cooler -BIG
lines -12

-16 from the oil tank to the motor.

KT
DanT
Trekkor,
Could you post (repost?) pics of your various lines and connections? Tank to motor etc. What make and size cooler did you use?
thanks wacko.gif unsure.gif
Trekkor
I am not as concerned with the cooling for the 4

I think you should be wink.gif

Nathan will tell you his experience about cutting all his sessions in half due to 250°+ temp at T-Hill with no cooler.

I got close to overheating too and had to baby the car to stay out.

KT
DanT
I was referring to the fact that I want the cooler set up to be optimal for a 6. Yes, I want the 4 to be cooled, but that is not my primary goal. Even if it appears to be overcooled at the present.
Even if I were not planning on a 6 conversion I would be putting on a good size cooler, I know after having other 4s and a 6 that the cooling is very important.
I mean that for the 4 it may appear to be overkill and that is OK.
smile.gif wink.gif
Trekkor
Certainly!

Setrab approx 23wx2dx5t ohmy.gif

Earl's line and fitting

mocal t-stat

Tank is a thick walled large capacty Vellios in the stock location

KT
Trekkor
how it all started for me at least!

Dan, I bet you're getting excited, huh?

KT
DanT
Yeah, If I could just light a fire under the !@#$ painter. He is doing the job on the side and has promised it to me by Thanksgiving...I'll be surprised if I have it back by Christmas!
O well, at least the paint and body work will be done. That still gives me plenty of time for assembly. I have over a week off for Christmas break...so if I have the car by then I will be able to get it done. I have almost all of my parts ready for installation. The cooler is one of my last acquisitions.
Thanks
RON S.
For a 6cylinder

-12 minimum, -16 optimum

Ron
greglepore
Another quick question-what adaptor do I need to go from the stock line to an-16?
RON S.
QUOTE (greglepore @ Nov 11 2005, 09:28 AM)
Another quick question-what adaptor do I need to go from the stock line to an-16?

I didn't use an adaptor.

I went to my local rubber & gasket company,and merely bought a 3 or 4 dollar steel -16 union.

I sawed it in half at work,bored it a little bit on a lathe to slip over the pipe,and tig welded it on.

Instant line biggrin.gif

Ron
GeorgeRud
I cool my 2.7 conversion using a turbotrol cooler up front with a Mocal thermostat mounted back by the engine. I used -12 lines because they were cheaper and easier to run. They run under the rocker panel on the passenger side. I also welded a fitting onto the hard Porsche line to make the conversion, though a fitting is available to go from the metric to AN.

The engine stays cool enough (210 degrees) on hot summer days running at high speed. I was chided by our local race shop (Perfect Power) that -16 would have been better.

For a street car, -12 should work. For a race car, only -16. My $0.02.
McMark
QUOTE (GeorgeRud @ Nov 11 2005, 12:53 PM)
For a street car, -12 should work.  For a race car, only -16.  My $0.02.

I think that makes sense. But engine size/tune makes a difference as well.
Trekkor
The engine stays cool enough (210 degrees) on hot summer days running at high speed.

Yep, same here. Once I installed the cooler I have yet to get any hotter than that. This is after 20 min track sessions. Not just street driving.

Went on a 2 hour backroad excursion and kept it below 190°.

-16 from the tank to the motor is good. Nice little 3 foot run.

Running -12 line will not result in starvation on my SIX.
9.5 qts in the tank with 2-3 more in the lines and cooler.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.