Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 engine ID help neeed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mlanders
After many years of being apart from a 914, the bug is hitting me again..hitting hard...

I've come across a 72 914 that appears to be a 1.7, but the current owner has almost no history on the car, and told me that he recently replaced the starter with a 911 starter because a 914 starter wouldn't turn it over. The engine doesn't currently run, but the body is in excellent condition, so I'm thinking it might be worth a few bucks to get it running again.

Any clues on how to tell for sure which engine is installed? My bet is a 1.7, but the 911 starter story has me wondering...

I suppose I could ask the guy to count cylinders and make sure it's a four, but that still leaves the possibility of a 2.0 sitting in there...

Thoughts and advice?

Attached are a couple of pics if you want to look for clues...

Thanks,

Mark

mlanders
Rear view..
ClayPerrine
The Fuel Injection is a 2.0 setup. The 1.7 uses a different air cleaner assembly.

It should be a 2.0, but check the case numbers.

Mark Henry
Hard to tell...it has a 2.0 aircleaner (it is a /4) but that doesn't mean it is a 914 2.0.

Look at the intake manifold if it has 3 bolts to the head it's a 914 2.0...4 bolts means it's a 1.7/1.8 or a bus engine.
mlanders
thanks...I'll see if the guy can count bolts for me, or maybe find a case number. I've asked for pics on rust areas...car looks amazingly clean. He said it was a strong runner until a week ago when it just wouldn't start.

Thanks for the tips,

Mark
davep
There can be a lot of reasons the starter won't do the job. Poor condition of the wiring or chassis is one. If the ground strap on the tranny is bad, or the ground studs at the battery and the tranny are bad, there is no good current return path. What condition is the battery in?
mlanders
Thanks..If I buy the car, electrical is one of the first areas I'll work on. Until then, I'm just focused on identifying what this car is made of and how sound it is.
Trekkor
I bet you can get it cheap...

Welcome.

KT
mlanders
It's definitely a 2.0! The guy wants $1500 for it, and no rust in sight anywhere.
Mark Henry
Rust can be hidden...but it sounds like a good deal. smile.gif
bd1308
from the little part i see, the battery tray looks good too.

b
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (mlanders @ Nov 11 2005, 07:09 AM)

I've come across a 72 914 that appears to be a 1.7, but the current owner has almost no history on the car, and told me that he recently replaced the starter with a 911 starter because a 914 starter wouldn't turn it over.

A 911 starter IS a 914 starter. It just amazes me that people just can't get a handle on this one. An SR 17X is just like an SR 17x. Of course, it might be an SC starter, but it's still the same bolt in, just more HP, and a LOT more $. The SR 17x has plenty of oomph to crank a teener engine over, so replacing it with a bigger starter, if that's what the fool did, is merely a patch to compensate for another problem. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.