Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning niksail/alusil P & C's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Sorry thats nikasil

porsche flat six BTW

I would like to clean my pistons and cylinders but I am concerned about damaging the coatings

Could I use an engine brite to clean them? How about brake or carb cleaner
goose2
I've been following a long thread on this on the Pelican 911 board (I'm rebuilding a 3.0)......Popular opinion is that hot soapy water and scotchbrite pads are best for the Nickasils. Don't know about pistons, but I've used Brakleen spray on them....with a soft brass brush on the crowns to get the carbon off. There's probably a better way short of bead blasting (don't blast unless you mask off everything but the top).
Mark Henry
QUOTE (goose2 @ Nov 11 2005, 05:20 PM)
I've been following a long thread on this on the Pelican 911 board (I'm rebuilding a 3.0)......Popular opinion is that hot soapy water and scotchbrite pads are best for the Nickasils. Don't know about pistons, but I've used Brakleen spray on them....with a soft brass brush on the crowns to get the carbon off. There's probably a better way short of bead blasting (don't blast unless you mask off everything but the top).

I doubt if most over the counter cleaners would hurt Nikasil. Doubt if I'd try easy-off though. wink.gif

I would stay away from and heavy acid or base cleaners just because of the Aluminum

I've bead blasted a 911 nikasil pressure plate...didn't even touch the nikisil.

Soap and water won't touch heavy grease...you use that for the final cleaning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.