Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake cyl. hone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am replacing the p/r tube seals in a 1.7 and am wondering if it is possible to use a brake cyl. hone to clean up the bores on the head?
bd1308
if its a early 1.7, youd better hone good....the smaller pushrod tube seals are extinct now. only the larger 1.8,2.0 and late 1.7 seals are available. This requires a switch-over if you have the early ones.

b
Mark Henry
The holes for the pushrods don't line up with the casting for the VC base. You will hit it and break your stones off.
bd1308
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 11 2005, 09:40 PM)
The holes for the pushrods don't line up with the casting for the VC base. You will hit it and break your stones off.

i don't understand.....

b
Mark Henry
Go look at your heads...the holes don't just go straight through....thats why the casting (head) has bumps on the bottom, to offset the pushrod tube holes.

sean_v8_914
yes, a brake hone will work magic on teh pushrod tube sealing surface. use a dingle ball hone. I do this to my case also but it is , of course, a different size ball hone. O-rings like a really nice surface finish. do not hone it dry. use some oil

sean_v8_914
they come in all sizes
Mark Henry
I hate ball hones. rolleyes.gif

I use a flapper wheel that's just a hair too big. Most tool shops have them.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 11 2005, 07:26 PM)
if its a early 1.7, youd better hone good....the smaller pushrod tube seals are extinct now. only the larger 1.8,2.0 and late 1.7 seals are available. This requires a switch-over if you have the early ones.

b

The seals are NOT NLA, and come in the 1.7 engine gasket sets. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.