Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: couriosity killed the 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I was just going to replace the p/r tube seals and thought, since I dont know the history of the motor ,I shoud pull the heads and check things out to make sure the thing is even worth using. With all the bolts off ,I pulled the head and then proceeded to pull the two screws that hold the tin on the c/c. while lifting the screw up the washer fell into the lifter hole and DINK!, DINK ! you gussed it ,right into the case.

So now what, is there any way to get it out without splitting the case?

Can I leave it there?

Allan
QUOTE (toon1 @ Nov 12 2005, 07:52 AM)
So now what, is there any way to get it out without splitting the case?

Can I leave it there?

#1 Doubtful. You might try a magnet on a string and fish around for it.

#2 Only if you plan on using the motor for a coffee table base.
SpecialK
You might try and fish around with a telescopic magnet (from the FLAPS), and "NO", you don't want to leave it there.

-Kevin

EDIT: Allan's quick on the draw! beerchug.gif
jsteele22

You might try to fish it out using a chopstick...
Andyrew
CHOPSTICKS WHERE A JOKE.....

dont try it..
funny though laugh.gif
Tom Perso
How does the motor look?

If it's marginal, I'd say put it back together and run it.

Worst case, the washer will get sucked up against the pickup screen. It won't go any further than sit in the sump.

If'n it was a nice 2.0L, I'd tear it apart.

But, I'm always asking for trouble.

dry.gif

Tom
DNHunt
I lost a wavy washer down a lifter bore. I tore it down. I tried compressed air and fishing for it but I never could see it. Do 1.7's have a windage tray? Cause I'm not sure iit'll make it past there to get to the screen.

Dave
McMark
1.7s shouldn't have a windage tray. Here's a crazy idea. Put oil in the case if you don't have any in there now. Maybe a couple extra quarts. Rock the engine back and forth to hopefully draw the washer down into the bottom of the case. Drail the oil and fish around in it with a magnet to see if it came out. The hole it went into is a drain back into the bottom of the case. I wouldn't run it if it was a nice engine, but if it's a beater I think it'll just end up on the pickup screen.
toon1
the motor looks worn but might be worth the time and energy to restore it. Maybe just the top end. looking at the cam, it looks worn, I have an extra cam, I want to use it while I am building a 2.0. This is my first 914 and first sports car, I really want to drive it.

Tom Perso
Run it.

Oh, maybe try doing the tasks mentioned above.

Guys, for a minute, think about the flow of oil in the case.

Oil sits in the sump.

Pickup "can" (as I call it) pulls the oil up thru the strainer.

Worse thing that can happen is that the washer is pulled towards the pickup where it will ultimately sit in the pickup plate. If that happens, when you drop the plate to check your strainer, washer falls out. Problem solved.

Beyond that, it may get picked up and sit IN the strainer.... so when you pull the plate off to check the strainer, you'll find the washer and the problem is solved.

All I can see is a win-win situation. smilie_pokal.gif

I don't see the washer "jumping" up into the cam or the crank...

Or, you can drain the engine, flip it over and shake it violently to get the washer out... laugh.gif

You're lucky you DON'T have a windage tray so now the washer will sit in the bottom of the sump. If it fell on top of the tray, I'd be a little worried.

screwy.gif

Tom

screwy.gif
r_towle
take the sump plate off....find it.

Rich
toon1
How much is visable by taking off the sump plate?
Bleyseng
not much but if you flush the motor with oil it might come out. dry.gif
toon1
The more I look at it ,the more I think it needs to be rebuilt. After further inspection the cam is in real bad shape, the rear lobe is worn badly.

Who makes the best manuels for a rebuild, I heard benltly's where good?
Mark Henry
later 1.7's do have a windage tray wink.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (toon1 @ Nov 13 2005, 12:43 PM)
The more I look at it ,the more I think it needs to be rebuilt. After further inspection the cam is in real bad shape, the rear lobe is worn badly.

JAke Raby's rebuild DVD is mega awesome-tastic.

I made that word up. Its both awesome and fantastic.

It breaks the rebuild down into very specific and detailed sections....and does it the methodical "Raby" way.

b
Allan
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Nov 13 2005, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Nov 13 2005, 12:43 PM)

JAke Raby's rebuild DVD is mega awesome-tastic.

I made that word up. Its both awesome and fantastic.

It breaks the rebuild down into very specific and detailed sections....and does it the methodical "Raby" way.

b

agree.gif Get Jake's DVD...
anthony
Is the DVD different from the Bug Me Video Vol 8 vhs?
Angelface01
I had this problem in my Bug once except with a 10mm bolt. I didn't know it was in there when I installed the engine but found out a month later when the bolt got lodget in the intake valve of my #4 piston. No damage was done but it I had to take the head off and remove the valve to dislodge it. Aside from some dents in the top of my piston, there was nothing wrong. But don't risk driving it with it in there b/c something much worse could happen.
toon1
I found the washer, all I had to do was split the case and BAM there it was.

The motor is toast, looks like I will be building a 2.0. I will be sending the parts off to Rimco soon. Also found out I need new brake rotors.

Seems like its one thing after another, hope it's worth it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.