Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jackstands.... where to position up front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Yes another stupid question. I've searched but couldn't really find what I was looking for. so...
I'm jacking the front up so I can pinch off the fuel lines and *hopefully* pull out the tank.
My jacking donuts seem pretty solid so I figure that's where I should place my jackstands. But where do I actually jack it up from? is a bit behind the jack donut on the long a safe place to jack it up so I can place the jackstand in front on the donut?
McMark
I like the front suspension attachment point for either jacks or jackstands. Senior Krusty will probably jump all over me for this one too. I think he's got it out for me today. sad.gif
Hammy
Mark.. any pics of exactly where? wacko.gif
McMark
The front of the A-Arm, about 6 inches back from the very front of the car. One on either side.
Trekkor
I have these jackstands that have removeable adjustable saddle tubes. Just so happens that the jackstack without it fits perfectly around the donuts.

KT

qa1142
I have this picture sealed in plastic in the garage

lift points or support points in red
Allan
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 12 2005, 05:50 PM)
The front of the A-Arm, about 6 inches back from the very front of the car. One on either side.

That's what I do. If I need to get at the suspension I use the donuts.

I have a car now that is resting on the jack-pads but it moves around a little.

Scary...
Allan
This part is iffy..

jd74914
why is the engine mount bar iffy? If you trust it to hold an engine in why wouldn't you trust it to jack with?
Hammy
QUOTE (jd74914 @ Nov 12 2005, 08:07 PM)
why is the engine mount bar iffy? If you trust it to hold an engine in why wouldn't you trust it to jack with?

it's skinny...
sgomes
That's not the engine mount bar! laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sgomes @ Nov 12 2005, 08:15 PM)
That's not the engine mount bar! laugh.gif

yep. your a foot forward at the firewall kiddo
Hammy
So..... like this?
McMark
That'll do.

I'll agree with the iffy part in the picture above. Mount bar is okay on late cars, not such a good idea on early cars. The iffy part circled above is a double walled section that would give more support so it might be okay, but I'd still use one of the other options.

I regularly hold the rear up by putting a jackstand on the tube portion of the rear control arm.
Eric_Shea
What are jackstands? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.