Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diffs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
I'm in the market for a Guard limited-slip or torque biasing differential for my 901. Which type is the hot set up for autocross? Let's assume I'm not always successful at keeping both rear tires firmly hooked up......there have been a few long black streaks left behind.
TimT
In all the discussions Ive ever seen regarding difs, it seems torque biasing is the ticket for AX, A Quaiffe or Guard torque biasing dif unlocks when your off the power, and supposedly doesnt contribute to much push.

On the other hand you could get a ramp type LSD and specify the lockup, 80/20 80/60/80/80

or you may even be able to ferret out a 901 clutch type, and set the torque on the clutch pack to suit

I bought a Quaiffe for a early 915, which will fit 901 and 914 boxes for $700.

J P Stein
QUOTE (TimT @ Nov 13 2005, 05:56 PM)

I bought a Quaiffe for a early 915, which will fit 901 and 914 boxes for $700.

Tim:
Ah, but are you using it? biggrin.gif I have yet to see a used one for sale....anywhere.

I've heard the TB type will spin a wheel like an open diff if one rear tire comes off the ground....true?
TimT
Im using it, havent experience the lifted wheel thing.

Ive seen a few for sale, usually from racers who have suddenly read the rule book for there class unsure.gif
Rough_Rider
I've heard the TB type will spin a wheel like an open diff if one rear tire comes off the ground....true?

True.

When a wheel goes in the air there is no torque too measure.
They do though require very little maintenance & vary torque across a range. Vs plate style's which lock at a pre-set level's. But require maintenance.

From fwd experience the quaiffe is a hot ticket If your on the gas & wheels on ground. On throttle before apex drags the car into the corner.

Haven't seen any pic's of your car with rear's off ground, so you should be good to go. However you still thinking about a rear swaybar??
r_towle
interesting previous discussion on the same thing..

LSD

smile.gif
TimT
deja vu all over again
bernbomb914
there was a new old stock diff assy on ebay yesterday. the seller did not know anything about it but he posted the part #

Bernie
J P Stein
I havn't lifted the rear inside tire off the ground since I went to stiffer springs, but unloaded it enuff to where I have a traction loss.....thus, the lsd/tb deal. I want to add a rear AR bar for more adjustability and that does cause concern about total lift.

I have driven a 914 that lifted it's inside tire....rear bar equiped...and it wasn't a fun thing.....OTG, nice drift, tire up, slow down, tire down, everything grips and you're off in a new direction blink.gif
john rogers
I have a box with the GT and a box with a Quaiffe and I could not really tell any difference in the driving. I have noticed with a very tight road course such as in Tijuana the GT does generate a lot of heat with the sharp turns. That is one of the reasons I went to the lube pump and cooler. The box with the Quaiffe is new and has M-S-X gears and is for sale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.