Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel cel vent (where?)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
installing fuel cel in forward compartment, was thinking about installing vent in the right forward parking light cutout.

where do other 914's and 911's with cel up front usually put the vent?

thanks,
dr
scotty
vent to the passenger compartment happy11.gif ?
ChrisReale
Or vent it to your helmet ohmy.gif
What about using the stock drainage hole behind the firewall? Drill a hole (gasp!) through and run a hose??
machina
so if we go thru the firewall, can it vent down underneath the car? Are there any "rules" for fuel vents?

dr
john rogers
If I remember correctly, the SCCA GCR's call for the fuel cell vent to run outside the car and have a valve to prevent fuel from running out if the car is upside down.!?? This is aceptable to the vintage groups such as HSR-West and VARA where I race. Good luck.
machina
the cel is fuel safe's top of the line pro cel. It has a check valve built into the vent port already.

I have heard to put it under the car and then been told absolutely no because you will get dirt into the cel.

The vent allows air to escape with expansion and filling and air to enter as the fuel is consumed.

Since some fuel may be purged out the vent when it is topped off, I didn't like the idea of locating the vent near the fender which is very close to a red hot rotor. Then I was thinking about using the hole from the radio antennae but it is right in front of the driver's door, don't want fuel in there either.

confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
Too much effort. Run the line from the tank thru the hole for the windshield washer rubber hose and leave the hose located just above the factory vent hole in the bottom of the pan. Dont poke it thru so it sits outside the car. Have it stop just short of the hole... if anything makes it out the hose.. it will go under the car.

Make sense ??

B
machina
thanks brad,

sounds good accept that the SCCA rules say that the vent must be located outside of the car. I guess we can just run it outside and put a screen vent on it to keep dirt out. sound ok?

dr
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Aug 18 2003, 11:14 AM)
...I guess we can just run it outside and put a screen vent on it to keep dirt out.

what i've seen done - and it seemed to work pretty well - is to use some open-cell foam as a dust filter. the last car i saw use this method was a V8-powered prototype car - they were getting about 5 mpg so they were sucking in quite a bit of air through the vent... clogged fuel filters disabled the car and they couldn't figure out how it was getting into the system until they looked at the vent.

something like the microphone wind filters you see at Radio Shack - or that green foam they used to make air filters from before K&N started using gauze...
Brad Roberts
Their definition of "outside the car" means a lot of different things.

I would'nt worry about a screen on it. Every time you over fill the fuel cell (it will happen at least once an event).. it will wash out the hose. The hose will end up several feet long.. dirt can only travel so far.

Another thought is to have it exit out in the hump behind the cell (cavity area for the steering rack).

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.