Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coast to Coast parts run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
r_towle
Im thinking of renting a truck and making a big run to CA for parts....possibly a tub or two...

Im thinking...If I can set up the deals ahead of time...buy it , bring to buyer etc...we can all make out...

Im talking basically this club..914 used parts...new if heavy and hard to ship also.

Im thinking norcal stop will be hph and the 914 boneyard...gotta hit Otto,s,,,then head toward the northeast via the largest consolidated groups of 914 club people and pick up/drop off along the way...

any interest??

Rich
gregrobbins
If you swing through Phoenix I am sure we could fix you up with items. You should start a wish list of what people need and then match it up with what people want to sell.

I have a car, some doors, trunk lids, seats and other extra items I would be willing to part with as well as some motor parts. Arizona stuff with minimal or no rust.

Twystd1
Me thinks the SoCal contingent can give you a wee bit "O" help wink.gif

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Nov 17 2005, 09:47 PM)
Me thinks the SoCal contingent can give you a wee bit "O" help wink.gif

Twystd1

werd. rich - stop in, dinner is on me my east coast friend.

post or send us a list of what you are looking for, and maybe we can 'procure' them ahead of time

AA
markb
You can stop off at my place in between HPH & Otto's. I've probably got a few things you could use.
bd1308
1.7 stuff?
front clip?

b
Speedster07
Rich, if you need a co-pilot or navigator I would be interested in making the trip, I too have some interest in Cali teener tubs and parts. When are you thinking about going west? driving.gif Craig beerchug.gif
Verruckt
Tubs???? biggrin.gif
type47
hmm, if you did this after july 06, i could go. could be retired by then and would enjoy a ROAD TRIP!
nomore9one4
Tub for me aswell???? If I can convince the wife that is what is missing in our marriage! rolleyes.gif
r_towle
ok...

Lets define Tub.
This will dictate the vehichle config...

I am thinking a non rolling only sheet metal....no doors, no hood or trunk lid...no interior....400 lb or so tub...stripped.

If so,,,how many tubs do people want...

If this is a tub run, no prob...we can fit other stuff in as well...

If we line it up ahead of time...I can arrange to have the tubs ready, photos will come with the tub...

How many tubs..

This would happen in the next 60 days..

Rich
nomore9one4
I am thinking more along the lines of 914 without motor,tranny,interior,lights or air freshener! Please, my marriage is riding on this! cool_shades.gif
r_towle
Easier to stack and move without suspension....these will be stripped tubs...we can get everything else local...it seems that the tubs are the problem...

BTW, I need locations...please fill out your PROFILE so I can plan the ride.

Trailer will have a rack to stack tubs...

I could take as many as 9

Rich
Gint
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 08:25 AM)
ok...

Lets define Tub.
This will dictate the vehichle config...

I am thinking a non rolling only sheet metal....no doors, no hood or trunk lid...no interior....400 lb or so tub...stripped.

My $.02

To me that's a roller...

A tub is a bare ass tub.
r_towle
Im talking about just a tub.
Let me be a precise as I can with my limited brain cells.

There will be none of the following attached.
Suspension F/R
Interior /Dash pad/ dashboard/ steering wheel or linkage
Hoods, doors, engine lid
No gas tanks
No bumpers.
Nada, nothing...just a tub...
I will have bolt in door spreaders to ensure a safe and happy journey.

Any other parts, we can start a list elsewhere...

Right now the question would be...how many Tubs with titles would people like.

I would deliver to your jack stands.
You would need to be there with minimum of three helpers.

Tubs will be chosen ahead of time via pics..this way I can load the setup based upon where I will stop first...

The tubs will be bolted to a rack...I will figure out the rack once I know how many tubs we are talking about.

Rich
jet1
Sounds like one hell of a trip! How are you going to find all the tubs you need? How far northeast are you planning to go and what kind of money do you plan to charge per tub?

Good luck putting this together.
nomore9one4
First, What is a "tub" going to cost before transport.Thanks.Bob in Pittsburgh
jsteele22
Rich,

How soon are you planning on doing this ? Before Christmas ?

Would you consider hauling a motor (on pallet) from Yonkers to Colorado Springs ?

How much $$$ ?
r_towle
Think of this a group buy on tubs.

Once I have a real list...I will be able to get a price...

The more we have, the better the price...

I will not be doing this out of the goodness of my heart.

I will however fill a need to to this IF there is a real demand.

I look at getting one for myself...its 1000 bucks to ship it....to much to justify it for me...

But...if we do enough of them...the fuel costs are divided amongst everyone etc....

Rich
bondo
I'm going to have a roller for sale soon, but it could be "tubbed" if necessary. I think I'd rather sell it as a roller though, and if no takers, I'd tub it for ya and let it go cheap.

(It's solid structurally, has some body rust but would come with panels to repair)

I'm real close to markb.
boxstr
Have a stripped 914-6 tub come and get it.
CCLINTUBSVILLE
nomore9one4
Please put me down to view photos when you line up the tubs. I will need mine to head to Pittsburgh,Pa.15202 Thanks. Bob driving.gif
r_towle
Guys,,,

Are there 356 tubs at EASY or any other spot in CA...I have a request for a few of those as well...

Rich
nomore9one4
QUOTE (boxstr @ Nov 18 2005, 09:56 AM)
CCLINTUBSVILLE

Craig, how much for this tub??
StratPlayer
If you swing through Salt Lake I'll introduce you to a gentlemen that might be a big surprise to you. He has tons of stuff all years. Let me know your plans and if you swing through here I'll be glad to take you to lunch.

jd74914
QUOTE (boboli914@att.net @ Nov 18 2005, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (boxstr @ Nov 18 2005, 09:56 AM)
CCLINTUBSVILLE

Craig, how much for this tub??

I'm curious too wink.gif
markb
Talk to the Cap'n about his 356 tub that's missing the front clip. He'd probably let it go cheap.

How "rust free" are you looking for? Needing hellhole repairs? Completely rustless (like there is such a thing biggrin.gif )? That will determine what we can get you.

I just talked with Dave at GPR, and he wouldn't be against stripping a couple of the rollers he has. It just depends on what you want, and what you want to pay. Personal note, and just my opinion: Dave has a bunch of cars, and really needs to get rid of a few. I'll be more than happy to help get them as cheap as we can, and I'll be there to help load 'em up.
r_towle
Ill strip them for him.
Prefer as little rust as possible...after all the is CA we are talking about...

Think if it this way...

Dip the tub...add 10 hours of metal fab...

Any more than that and we can all find one here, do more welding and save money i the long run...

To be attractive, these cars need to be "rust free"

Rich
markb
I can go up & take pics of what he has for you if you want. I'd be happy to have them stripped for you so you don't have to spend a bunch of time while you're here. I'd rather spend your time in a little beerchug.gif session or 2. smile.gif
lapuwali
HPH can help you some. There are rollers and projects for sale here for what any East Coaster would think of as cheap all the time. Troll Craigslist and if you find anything promising, post here, and one of us can double check it for you. I'd be happy to poke at any anything you find in the SF Bay Area. There ARE plenty of rusty cars here, so you can't just assume no rust just because it's here. I've seen a number of cars with shot longs and hellholes that spent their entire lives here, so they'd need to be checked out.
Mark Henry
I know for sure Mike G (of mike's 914) would be interested, if you got them to the east coast he'd do a run to the states. He might want more than one.

I'll let him know about this thread.
jet1
how many would you be able to take? It sounds like there is demand.
r_towle
right now I have one person who wants to see pics..

Mike from Canada...possible..

Thats all.

Rich
scottb
i want a decent 2.0L engine for a rebuild and a good targa top (so far)

in the dc area so will offer a bed, beer, bbq before the final push north.

"i'm a travelin' man, made a lot of stops... all over the world....."
Mark Henry
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 08:19 PM)
right now I have one person who wants to see pics..

Mike from Canada...possible..

Thats all.

Rich

I knew he'd be interested.... smile.gif
r_towle
Ihave not heard from Mike....I was just going off your email...that is why i said "possible"

To the previous post...

The targa top is the only thing on the body that will not rust...there were 125k cars made...therefore there are that many tops left....

I would advise you look locally for a targa top...I can help if you cannot find one locally..

Rich
Verruckt
Scottb - I have a 2liter (minus heads) that I might let go.

Rich- tub would be acceptable, but a roller would be easiest, for me at least. But hey, since you are doing the hauling I can be flexible. biggrin.gif

I think about a year or two ago, this was talked about. I'm for it if it goes. As far as condition, I would want a nice west coast as rust free as possible teener. Let me know, but I think I'm in.

By the way, I'm about 1/2 mile off of I-70 just east of Kansas City.
Verruckt
QUOTE (boxstr @ Nov 18 2005, 11:56 AM)
CCLINTUBSVILLE

Rust? Price?
scottb
aw shit... if there is room, maybe a tub as well....maybe.... but engine first....

(reminder to self, explain this to wife) rolleyes.gif

i want a targa top to shred and try to create a soft top using the factory mounts. guess it doesn't need to be great (except if it works, i wanna keep it!)

cheers once again.....

PS: verruckt.... thanks for the offer. may just take you up on that. still need heads though. chating with jake about doing myself or letting him do me (ok, that was wrong! biggrin.gif ) but need a core either way.
r_towle
QUOTE (scottb @ Nov 18 2005, 08:01 PM)

PS: verruckt.... thanks for the offer. may just take you up on that. still need heads though. chating with jake about doing myself or letting him do me (ok, that was wrong! biggrin.gif ) but need a core either way.

If you could do it yourself, you would never leave the house....

biggrin.gif
jet1
Ok, say you get a full load of tubs and you end up driving all the way cross country, how would you figure the cost per tub? cost of tub plus gas/number of tubs? You have my attention because I have never seen a rust free 914 ever, so depending on cost I may be interested. Also, I have all the parts including doors, so a bare tub would be perfect for me.
r_towle
well...I figure cost of tub, cost of transport (divided, fairly...we can figure that one out once we have an idea of where they are going...)

I would never expect rust free...I am hoping for minor rust...good firewalls, decent hell hole area...nothing that 10 hrs of metal work will not fix....

Now,,,if it is to much metal work, its not worth doing....we can get tubs locally enough to not make it worth it.

Rich
r_towle
ok..
So far here are the possible contenders

Boboli914 Pittsburg Penn
Mike G Canada
Scott B Maryland
Jet1 Gardiner NY
Verruckt Midwest somewhere...who knows
jet1
Looks like the member map is going to come in handy. I am about 70 miles north of NY city. Are you the same as Abel towle? wife?
Verruckt
QUOTE (r_towle @ Nov 18 2005, 07:50 PM)
ok..
So far here are the possible contenders

Boboli914 Pittsburg Penn
Mike G Canada
Scott B Maryland
Jet1 Gardiner NY

I realize this is pretty early in the game, but do you have an idea of price/tub? Even a best guesstimate?

And just so your ass is covered, you might want to consider taking a NONrefundable deposit before you even leave. So at least you aren't left holding a big bag of stromberg.gif at the end of your journey.

I am very interested though, just want to see where we are gonna be price wise.
r_towle
Abel is my son.

Rich
jet1
Oh, Ok. Sorry, I figured there were not too many Towles. So you guys would more then likely pass by my area on your way back. Right? Up the NY truway to the Mass pike. idea.gif I guess keep me on the list for now. It will all come down to cost. Do you have an idea of the initial tub cost?
grasshopper
am i to far south?? unsure.gif
r_towle
4 tubs is not worth it.

If we get to 9 or 10...the cost works..

I am guessing on a price right now...

I need to confirm some of the other tubs locally and I will make some calls monday to get some real numbers.

Rich
Speedster07
If you know when you plan on going I would be interested in being your co-pilot or navigator driving.gif
if you need one. I too have some tubs in sight in Cali. w00t.gif Let me know when you plan on going, I’ll clear my schedule for a month.
boldblue.gif clap.gif boldblue.gif clap.gif boldblue.gif

Craig
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.