Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
19144jt
Hi,
I've got a 1975 1.8 that still runs pretty good but is getting tired. I am tryng hard to keep the car original so I would like to keep the fuel injection. When I rebuild the engine, am I limited to staying stock (for purposes of keeping the fuel injection) or are there some things I can do to get mild (or better) HP increases and not have to carburete? Any ideas would be appreciated.

John
dlo914
im not quite sure, but i was headed in this direction before i found a mid-life FI 2L. i was going to have the jugs bored out to a total of 1911cc, and then go w/ the 96mm kenneth black pistons. As for the crank and arms i was told to find some off a 2L. I was also told the stock 1.7 FI system would be able to compensate for the extra CC's. But then what do i know..im still a newbie wacko.gif smile.gif
Mueller
backdate the exhaust to a '73/'74 2.0 or install 1.7/1.8/2.0 SSI stainless steel heat exhangers

if in good condition, re-bore to 96mm to get to a 1911 (Jake Rabys shop can do that and supply the pistons)

not too much more can be done, the AFM does not like wild cams.....
Al Meredith
I've got a set of 1.8L euro pistons. They are NEW in the box and have a domb on top just like the 1.7 piston. The high compression will work with the stock FI. I really want to sell them with a set of rebuilt 1.8 heads. They have opened up exhaust ports and duel valve springs. Len Hoffman installed oversized seats to be used with the duel springs. For $850 I will through in a set of lightened rods. Al
sean_v8_914
I ran 96 mm flat top pistons on my 1.8 L-Jet. I liked it. that car lives in WA now
bottomend
the absolute easiest way to gain HP is to have the entire rotating assembley balenced. This allows for less friction. Less friction allows for less heat. Less heat means more HP. More HP means more VAROOOOMMMMMM!

You can increase the CR to a point. From what I understand, L-jet cant take as much added compression as a carbed system but it's better than an older D-jet system in this reguard.

You can add displacement as was mentioned before. The most common way is to add the crank from the 2 L engine and bore out your 1.8 L piston to 96 mm. You'll end up with 2056 cc and with a good cam you can expect around 110 hp with a good head rebuild. Nothing fancy on the heads, just slightly larger valves and good sealing to the cylinders.

Before you start spending money, ask lots of questions and buy some book ect and learn or else you'll waste $ and time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.