Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess I'm kind of anal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I wanted to remove a little off of the heads of the fllywheel bolts because the flywheel is lightened. At the same time I didn't want affect balance so I used a beam scale to make sure the bolts were the same weight. They actually vary quite a bit. It's probably not that big a deal cause they are close the center of the revolving mass. Oh well something to do.
DNHunt
This is actually a swingweight scale for golf clubs.
DNHunt
You can see there is a big difference in the amount of material removed.

Dave
messix
Dave your gonna eclipse jake in the over the top detail. don't for get to polish hone the starter ring gear teeth to make smoother start ups.
J P Stein
Kinda' anal? Anal obsessive doesn't even cover it. biggrin.gif
Balancing your lug nuts is next, eh?
736conver
Are you going to measure out the loctite for each bolt? Otherwise that would kind of defeat the purpose? huh.gif
DNHunt
I can thank dental school for that. 4 years of it's not good enough. Always be critical cause you can find things you can do better.

Actually, I can't eclipse Jake. All of the pressure plate bolts are numbered so they end up in the same spots. I don't know how much 8mm X 20 bolts (?) can vary but it must be enough to foul up the balance. They are further from the centerline.

Dave
SpecialK
Nothin' wrong with being anal when it comes to putting your engine together! The little things add up! beerchug.gif
jsteele22
Ooh, now you've done it. The way you went about removing mass from the bolts has the unpleassant consequence of making each bolt head a slightly different length, so the mass distribution in the direction perpendicular to the flywheel is no longer balanced. If you don't do something about that, there's gonna be a tendency for the flywheel to want to flutter out of its plane. If you rev the engine up to, say, 50,000 RPM you'll see what I'm talking about...
Jake Raby
I have tried flip flopping flywheel bolts on the balancer many times.. They are so close to the radisu of the crank that their imbalance has to be several grams befaore they make an impact that can be noted.

Pressure plate bolts are a different story- being so far from the radius increases their imbalance greatly . 1 gram of difference @ 5" radius can be well over 100 pounds of imbalance about 6,000 RPM. Thats why I index them all.

Good work Dave! You can never be "Over the top" NEVER
Katmanken
Iffen he was REALLY ANAL he would be custom grinding the length of a bunch of sockets so that the length of each socket EXACTLY matches the ground length of EACH custom balanced flywheel bolt..... blink.gif biggrin.gif

Go for it Dave.... happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Don't forget to match number them.....

Ken

maf914
Dave, way to go.

Now you might want to drill a series of holes in each one to lighten them. laugh.gif
IronHillRestorations
Am I the only one who noticed that Dave is using a golf club swingweight scale?????

I'm with Jake on this, too close to the center of the rotating mass to make much of a diff.
bd1308
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Nov 20 2005, 04:51 PM)

Pressure plate bolts are a different story- being so far from the radius increases their imbalance greatly . 1 gram of difference @ 5" radius can be well over 100 pounds of imbalance about 6,000 RPM. Thats why I index them all.

whoops.

i guess its okay tho. no earth shattering vibration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.