Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chevy 350 or 327
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov
Can anyone give me a measurement of the distance between the crankshaft face and the engine mounting flange for either a Chevy 350 or a 327 - if you have one out of a car?

I have a 283 and suspect that its configuration might be a bit different from the 350s and 327s that most of the conversion adapter plates are set up for. Note the bevel in the end of the crankshaft socket. I understand that 350s do not have such a bevel. A standard pilot bearing does not fit into the beveled receptacle - the bearing's back face must be beveled to match.

(My 283 has a dimension of 43/64" - just a shade over 5/8")
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif sorry, dunno squat about v8s ...

but someone else might ...
smile.gif Andy
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (nick mironov @ Nov 20 2005, 08:59 AM)
Can anyone give me a measurement of the distance between the crankshaft face and the engine mounting flange for either a Chevy 350 or a 327 - if you have one out of a car?

I have a 283 and suspect that its configuration might be a bit different from the 350s and 327s that most of the conversion adapter plates are set up for. Note the bevel in the end of the crankshaft socket. I understand that 350s do not have such a bevel. A standard pilot bearing does not fit into the beveled receptacle - the bearing's back face must be beveled to match.

(My 283 has a dimension of 43/64" - just a shade over 5/8")

All, the outer dimensions on SBC are the same, 283, 302, 307, 327, 350.

IN, your picture, the pilot bearing is already installed.

Skline, has a 283 in his Chalon,Kennedy Adaptor.
BIGKAT_83
The V8 adapter pilot bearing for the 283 crankshaft is different from a 327/350. The pilot bearings are different widths and the 283 does have a bevel to match the crankshaft. The bearing on the left is for a 283 and the one on the right is for a 350. user posted image

wink.gif wink.gif Bob wink.gif wink.gif
nick mironov
I have confirmed with Kennedy Engineered Products (KEP) that the standard crankshaft extension on all small blocks (265-350) is 0.70". I also checked this an a 350 and double-checked my 283. 0.70" is correct. The only difference is that the 283 (and maybe 265) have the bevel inside the crankshaft flange, and the larger engines do not.
skline
Richard is correct, I do have a 283 in mine, however, looking at the picture above, I have the pilot bearing on the right and I got it direct from Kennedy. I think it was $40.00 delivered. It fit right in and I had no problems what so ever. I did tell them it was for a 283 and they told me there was a special one for that so I am assuming they sent me the right one. It seems to be working so far. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.