Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: OPINIONS ON PARTS SELLERS ON THE BOARD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Type 4 Unleashed
THIS WAS MY PM TO THE SELLER

I, am interested in the items, here is my zip- 92656, for shipping charges, if their still available?

PM FROM SELLER NEXT DAY AFTER GETTING HOME FOR WORK.

They are available. shipping to CA is 15 bucks.

I, SENT THE PM BEFORE I WENT TO BED, NO RESPONSE, BEFORE I CRASHED, HAD TO BE UP AT 5:30, WORK

RESPONDED TO SELLER AFTER GETTING HOME FROM WORK

I, just got off work.
Send, me your address, and I'll get you a Postal Money Order out in the morning.

RESPONSE FROM SELLER

Sorry, out of the blue a local guy came over and scarfed em' up.

MY RESPONSE

Too, Bad your one of those people who do business that way. stromberg.gif

HIS RESPONSE

OK, partner, look at this serise of posts/replys.

No where in there do you say "I'll take them".
Had you done that they would be yours. I am good to my word and feel free to ask any body around this or other BBSs to find out the truth of that.
You didn't say the magic words and you're shit outta luck and blaming me for your own oversight.

You'll note that the guy that posted second said the words and he got em'.

I ain't sorry any more.

MY RESPONSE

What a crock of stromberg.gif , apparently I did have first's on those, by your pm last night, and you couldn't wait to hear back from me, you sold them to some body else before you did. Your using symantics as an excuse, you took the easy way out, you got your cash. And you sold them to some body close to you, probally some one you've done business with before, a friend? Your not the only one who deals that way.

I, seem to get all the ASSHOLES.

HIS RESPONSE

Suit your self, fuckwad, but that's the way it works.
I can see why some of your deals go bad. Everyone is a dipshit but you, eh? You're (note the speeling) my first complaint. Everyone has to have one, I suppose.

HE STILL WOULD OF SOLD THE ITEMS TO HIS BUD, EVEN IF I HAD SAID HIS MAGIC WORDS

OPINIONS: AM I IN THE WRONG?

rick 918-S
screwy.gif
Rusty
I would respectfully disagree with you.

There are lots of tire-kickers on the board. I'm guilty of it from time to time. People curious about pictures, shipping info, etc. I've had people low-ball me on a part, I meet them part way on the price and never hear from them again.

I don't assume a deal is accepted until the buyer says "I'll take it... how do you want payment?"

Just my opinion, good sir.

-Rusty smoke.gif

Brando
Whaddaya think this is, ebay?

You're buying on the seller's terms.
blitZ
I had a similar experience from a board member. Just save yourself some grief and don't get into a pissing match. Make of note of their name and ignore them when they offer items for sale.
Jeroen
as far as I can see, you only asked him for a shipping quote
you never said you'd buy

can't blame him... when ever you put something up for sale, you get tons of e-mail asking for this and that and about 99% of these people never follow through

so, generally, the first guy to show up with money in hand gets the parts
simple as that...

just my € 0,02
seanery
I agree with Rusty & Yaroon.

Mark Henry
Yep I tell everyone that comes through my door that it isn't sold untill I have cash in hand.

Your deal sounds like it was in the "gray" area, but it's not worth getting upset about...forget it.
smooth_eddy
First guy with the cash wins in sale of used items. That is just the way it works. E
DNHunt
Ya-roon

I think your 2 cents might be 3 cents. biggrin.gif I think both of you guys need a cold shower.

Dave
Mueller
Did the seller have a location? If so, you should have figured or guessed what the shipping was yourself. Then you could have told him you want them and will take the item for sure.

No location?

Was the shipping going to be the make it or break it on the sale? If so you should have said you'll take it as long as shipping is not X amout over???

Most of the time I'd take a local sale over something I have to package up and send.

Also, you waited until you got home to tell him you'll buy the stuff...he is not a mind reader and knows whether or not you'll email him back saying yes or no.

Like others said, move on and learn from this, it;s not the end of the world.
nomore9one4
I have pulled more parts and left waiting for a so-called check in the mail that never made it. After wasting valuable time getting it ready to ship.Makes on think twice.My 2 cents! flag.gif
VaccaRabite
If you tell someone you want a shipping price, you are shopping, not buying. The seller has no reason to even make a good faith assumption that you are going to buy his item. What if you descided that the shipping was too much $ and went elsewhere, leaving the seller holding the item for you.

I have lost things that I was interested in because I was shopping not buying. When I descided to buy, the item was sold or pending. It sucks, thats life, move on.

It was your error, you were not clear and/or too slow.

Zach
Joe Ricard
Uh yea That happened to me too.
Not going to mention names but he knows who he is.
markb
You're wrong, he's right.

If you don't tell a seller you're buying, or that it's sold, or specific words to that effect, you're only shopping.

BTW, If I were the seller, and you got pissy with me like that, using that kind of language, I probably wouldn't deal with you. It's disrespectful.

Just my .02
736conver

The bird board had similiar problem. Always sounds like a couple of 4 year olds.

I had it first. No you didnt I did.

I'm sure you can find whatever you need from someone else maybe even at a cheaper price.

Life's short................Move on.
mack914
"SHOW ME THE MONEY" idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
boxstr
Scenario:You get an extra 914 that you want a few parts from, and you figure you will sell the rest on the 914 club or PP or ebay, this will help pay for the car and put a little extra in the till. So you advertise that you have a 73 914 2.0 that you are parting out. You get 50 replies about little parts and big parts that people want. You reply to them that you have that part and they reply back that they want a pic of it, you send them a pic and they reply back that a buddy down the street had one and they got it for free. After you spent an hour or two taking the part off the car, and taking a pic and sending to a potential buyer.
I have parts sitting at CAMP that were supposed to be sent to buyers, but they got a free one somewhere else or they just never replied back.
Selling parts this way is very time consuming and not very profitable.
If I have parts that soem one wants and they are local and they come out to CAMP with cash, it is theres. I don't have to send pics, wait for replies and then package and ship.
CCLINPARTSHELL
DougC
This is a pet peave of mine, I've had a couple of people get upset with me on items that they inquired about (that I was selling). I sold them and then they claim that they were "first", I say get real..money in hand is item sold.

Doug C
Jenny
agree.gif I've lost many a weekend waiting around at home for some craigslist buyer that never shows up. This is after confirming by phone that they will be at X place, at X time, with X amount of cash in hand. Wait around all day. Ho hum. Turn down other offers because I wanted to honor this guy's (and my) word.
Nada.
Really chaps your hide after the first couple times. Now, I subscribe to the first come, first serve mentality.

Jen
jfort
I agree with those who sided with Seller. No contract or any kind of commitment was formed.
J P Stein
I agree with the seller too.....cause it was me laugh.gif
STL914
QUOTE (jfort @ Nov 21 2005, 08:56 AM)
I agree with those who sided with Seller.  No contract or any kind of commitment was formed.

Have to agree with the majority of the group here. Better communications between seller and potential buyers will avoid this in the future.

I've recently responded to club members looking for parts for their cars, usually e-mailing pictures and suggesting they make an offer if interested. What grinds me the wrong way is a total lack of response what so ever. It's only proper to reply, even if it's to tell me to
Fuck Off! finger.gif

I don't think it's too much to ask in return for the time spent to remove the parts from my parts car, photograph the parts and to send them to the
individual who posted the request. Anyone agree with this or is it only me?
Allan
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 21 2005, 09:08 AM)
I agree with the seller too.....cause it was me laugh.gif

chairfall.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (V6914 @ Nov 21 2005, 12:42 AM)
OT: OPINIONS ON PARTS SELLERS ON THE BOARD

people that write in ALL CAPS scare me ...

unsure.gif Andy
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Nov 21 2005, 12:51 AM)
I would respectfully disagree with you.

There are lots of tire-kickers on the board. I'm guilty of it from time to time. People curious about pictures, shipping info, etc. I've had people low-ball me on a part, I meet them part way on the price and never hear from them again.

I don't assume a deal is accepted until the buyer says "I'll take it... how do you want payment?"

Just my opinion, good sir.

-Rusty smoke.gif

agree.gif
DanT
Unfortunately it is:
Money talks....and BullS!@t walks.
That's life. dry.gif
Richard Casto
I hate to pile on, but you were wrong. Asking for shipping costs/info and saying you are interested is shopping and not buying.
SLITS
dead horse.gif
Lou W
It didn't sound like a commitment to buy on your part, Live and learn. Post a request for the part in the classifieds, you might find another one, closer, cheaper, etc. smile.gif
Matt Monson
I've got a couple of rules I never vary from when selling on a board.
#1 There is no such thing as dibs.
#2 I do not take checks or money orders from someone whom I don't know or who I haven't done business with before. Pay Pal is the way to go, and I factor the fees into my asking price in advance. If you are on a board and don't have a Pay Pal account, you need to get one.
#3 I don't do shipping quotes. Most of my parts I price at a "shipped" price. But if not, the buyer can go to UPS.com as easily as I can, and they pay actual freight.
#4 I don't take pictures after I post the FS. If it is something that needs to be seen to see condition, I will include that in my listing. But when someone asks me for a picture of an alternator or an oil pump, I just say no.

Like someone said, this isn't E-bay. Most people behave in a moral manner in selling on boards. There are scammers, but Pay Pal can protect you from that. There is nothing I hate more than a distrustful buyer. If someone challenges me regarding the quality or that they will even get the part, I just refuse to sell to them. I've been around the communities I sell in long enough that I don't need to sell to some yahoo who just joined because he doesn't know who I am...
Type 4 Unleashed
Thanks for the opinions.

My opinion: People with ethics and integrity, don't do business that way, the ones that do, don't have any, plain and simple, it's all about the $, anyway they can get it, their have been enough post on this club, on companies, and individuals, that do business that way. I don't see any difference between the guy I tried to deal with, than the companies and individuals everyone else has complained about.

I don't do business that way, anything I buy or sell, won't make or break me, it's a hobby.

I didn't see anyone say anything, about the guys, that say "I will take it", and then flake out.

Any one that condones that type of business practice, them selves, would do business that way, have no ethics or integrity.

To bad it's that way.
markb
QUOTE (V6914 @ Nov 21 2005, 03:21 PM)
Any one that condones that type of business practice, them selves, would do business that way, have no ethics or integrity.

I'm not real thrilled to have you insult me this way. mad.gif
seanery
QUOTE (V6914 @ Nov 21 2005, 06:21 PM)
I didn't see anyone say anything, about the guys, that say "I will take it", and then flake out.

reread the responses. It was said multiple times, that because of people flaking out, that the deal isn't done until the deal is done.

I recently sold an engine here, well actually I committed to selling it. IMHO, the deal wasn't done until the buyer and I both agreed that it was a done deal, not when he asked me how much to ship it.
airsix
I don't see any difference between the guy I tried to deal with, than the companies and individuals everyone else has complained about.

I was in a showroom looking at a new car. The sales guy walked by and I nodded towards the car and then gave an eyebrow raise. Now, he clearly saw me nod and raise my eyebrow. There was no question that he understood. Well I came back 6 weeks later and the SOB had sold the car! I mean, what kind of unscrupulous piece of crap does that! He clearly saw me nod and raise my brow and then he goes and sells it right from under me! I don't get it. How do people like that stay in business? dry.gif

-Ben M.

ps - Asking "how much?" is NOT a contract to buy.
Jenny

Yes, yes. rolleyes.gif People were chalked full of ethics and integrity back in the 1600's. And maybe in amish communities. But the rest of the world is just protecting ourselves from flakes, window shoppers, etc. Most of us have held out for 'first dib' sellers before, and gotten burned.

But, thanks, for, the, generalization. grouphug.gif

Jen
Dr. Roger

I'd swap the word "interested" with the word "I want it" dry.gif

then you'll have no problems... biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
if sellers place "shipping from zip..." in the ad it simpliflys things a great deal. if the sellers location is noted below their avatar, a buyer can usually guess within 2 bucks what shipping will be. don't ask what shipping will be. if you want the damn part, confirm to purchase in the first wtb message, ask where to send the funds to include shipping. 4 or 5 emails/pms just to buy something is too much work.

k
sixnotfour
I'd swap the word "interested" with the word "I want it"

agree.gif
Show your full intention right up front if you want it 100%
I lost a real GT steering wheel because of not wanting to be too interested headbang.gif
J P Stein
That reminds me....I gotta ship Joe his rivets...
The ones I bought for him cause there aren't any of these in Mississippi and before I had any of his money but now have had his money for several days and they are sitting out ....oh never mind. Off to the shop.

Good luck with these guys, fuckwad, they're animals laugh.gif
Jenny
Geez, JP! Watch your language. My poor virgin ears! sad.gif

Jen
r_towle
dead horse.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
TROJANMAN
i recently posted an ad on craig's list. i received multiple responses of people who were interested in my "item". when i had the time, i would respond to their responses with a proper response that hopefully answered the question they were asking in their initial response. when it came time to sell my item i would diligently contact each of the interested parties to see which party was the most interested. once each interest party was contacted i would wait to hear back from those i contacted to see if my contacting them had interested them further in the item i was selling. when i felt that i had someone who was willing to pay me for the item i had for sale, i would proceed to ask the buyer about his intentions to pay me, pull a credit report on said interested party, contact the local police to see if they had a history of criminal behavior, call the references i asked them to provide, then i would check with their bank to make sure they had enough money to pay for said item. of course, none of anything i just typed is half true. i was just really bored with the board, and thought i'd waste some more of my time typing a bunch of non sense.............. screwy.gif
airsix
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 21 2005, 05:17 PM)
i recently posted an ad on craig's list. i received multiple responses of people who were interested in my "item". when i had the time, i would respond to their responses with a proper response that hopefully answered the question they were asking in their initial response. when it came time to sell my item i would diligently contact each of the interested parties to see which party was the most interested. once each interest party was contacted i would wait to hear back from those i contacted to see if my contacting them had interested them further in the item i was selling. when i felt that i had someone who was willing to pay me for the item i had for sale, i would proceed to ask the buyer about his intentions to pay me...

Once upon a time there was another guy who did the same thing (to be nice) and he starved to death before the sale was completed. laugh.gif
-Ben M.
SLITS
Condom men are good at that............. poke.gif
Jenny
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seeing JP use bad words is kinda like hearing your grandpa swear. biggrin.gif

Jen
J P Stein
Sorry, Jen. I forgot that not all the wimen here are animals laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Nov 21 2005, 06:22 PM)
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Seeing JP use bad words is kinda like hearing your grandpa swear. biggrin.gif

Jen

bahhahaha

get back on your rocking chair JP laugh.gif
J P Stein
chairfall.gif.....but you nearly got a retraction.

Jake Raby
Damn- You guys are having the same problem as I am lately with the crowd!

I found a resolution to my issue, pay for the engine 100% up front and THEN wait for 8-10 months...

The bad guys always screw the good ones- always.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.