Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 [R.I.P.]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jacques
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 23 2005, 08:11 AM)
"Victim of circumstance"?  Victim of failure to observe the basic speed law..................  Sorry to make this observation of reality, but it's true.  You were simply going too fast for conditions.  The Cap'n, who just finished reading the paper and is fed up with traffic "accidents".  2 sets of local parents are having fewer kids at their table for thanksgiving because one kid was going too fast for conditions.

rolleyes.gif No need for apologies!
As for my speed, well actually that corner can facilitate the speed I was going. I could have been going 4-7 mph faster and still not have had this happen. The problem here was my reliance on the predictability of the car -- not having smooth power delivery was a major factor here.

sad.gif Sorry to hear of your local accidents.
Brando
Sure it wasn't all the rocks and dirt on the ground?

I almost ate a cliff wall when Aaron and I did the GMR because of some rock-slide debris.
Jacques
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 23 2005, 10:34 AM)
Silgle car accident's are mostly caused by running out of talent, room,  & ideas ....all about the same. Lack of throttle response is one excuse I'd never heard before....well done. Send pics of your next one.

"Canyon Rules" are set by law, not by squirrels.

Yes, very true.. I estimate- 1½ - 2 years, till my next 'total loss'
huh.gif I'll post pics of course!
Jacques
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 10:37 AM)
gonna unload the autopower bar?

idea.gif It's only 6mos. old.. My Euro/RoW '70 will be the new recipient!!
Jacques
QUOTE (KaptKaos Nov 23 2005 @ 12:09 AM)

When do you need it gone by?

It's safe for now, tentatively- JAN '06 sometime. I've got a couple other projects, to finish up. This car was practically my DD. Now i'm back to the Corrado (radiator) & my Forsa (axle) need some attention.
smash.gif
Rand
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 23 2005, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 23 2005, 08:11 AM)
"Victim of circumstance"?  Victim of failure to observe the basic speed law..................  Sorry to make this observation of reality, but it's true.  You were simply going too fast for conditions.  The Cap'n, who just finished reading the paper and is fed up with traffic "accidents".  2 sets of local parents are having fewer kids at their table for thanksgiving because one kid was going too fast for conditions.

rolleyes.gif No need for apologies!
As for my speed, well actually that corner can facilitate the speed I was going. I could have been going 4-7 mph faster and still not have had this happen. The problem here was my reliance on the predictability of the car -- not having smooth power delivery was a major factor here.

sad.gif Sorry to hear of your local accidents.

I'm sorry your car got totalled and I'm glad you're ok.

I don't mean to bring this part of the story out, but I'm puzzled about the concept of blaming the car for the accident and simply want to understand... beerchug.gif

"The problem here was my reliance on the predictability of the car"
What do you mean? How was the car unpredictable? What exactly did it do that caught you by surprise?

"Not having smooth power delivery was a major factor here"
What do you mean exactly? Did you need more and it didn't come on like you wanted this time? Did it hesitate, then kick in abruptly and break loose?

idea.gif
Jacques
QUOTE (Brando @ Nov 23 2005, 03:07 PM)
Sure it wasn't all the rocks and dirt on the ground?

I almost ate a cliff wall when Aaron and I did the GMR because of some rock-slide debris.

Yep, that section was nice and clear. The dirt in the pics was thrown on the road after impact chatsmiley.gif
Jacques
QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 23 2005, 03:33 PM)

I'm sorry your car got totalled and I'm glad you're ok.

I don't mean to bring this part of the story out, but I'm puzzled about the concept of blaming the car for the accident and simply want to understand...

"Not having smooth power delivery was a major factor here"
What do you mean? Did it come on too strong and break loose? Or did you need more and it didn't come on like you wanted?

"The problem here was my reliance on the predictability of the car"
Again, what do you mean? The car was unpredictable? How so? It did something new and caught you by surprise? What exactly?

biggrin.gif Much appreciated, I don't mind discussion! It's not so much that the car is to blame, more so the lack of predictability in the engine (this would have never happend with FI!). Initially I had come down the previous corner with some excessive speed to induce a mild drift in the rear. Everything was still fine, once i had the next corner lined up (right hander, view pic) is where my expectation of throttle response/power delivery failed.

shocked[1].gif It's like you said, I needed more and it didn't come on like I wanted. Without the ability to put 'power' down to the rear wheels, I could not achieve 100% traction. It is in this sense that the car (engine) was unpredictable; nice 'surprise' eh?

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.