Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 [R.I.P.]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jacques
sad.gif Day after Joe's BBQ/Weigh-In.. Met with an untimely death. >> Please observe and lower flags to half-mast sad.gif

user posted image

user posted image

::edit::

a bit difficult to explain; this particular 914 always had a 'dangerous' limit. The engine and throttle response will take the blame for this one. I never really gave up on this turn even once the car had rotated (didn't slam the brakes). Although the engine had much more power over stock, i could never get reliable, smooth acceleration/power delivery.
Aaron Cox
GMR wound?

sorry jacques....

when did it happen? sad.gif

come in too hot, or hit the dirt?
Aaron Cox
also - glad to hear you are ok man smiley_notworthy.gif
lapuwali
Ow. I take it there was unintended contact between the rear of the car and that hillside?

Crashing sucks...
dlo914
awww...not the red one sad.gif that thing was awesome a full throttle biggrin.gif ths 14' will be missed.
Allan
Wow dude!!! ohmy.gif

Glad you're okay..

Details please...
Aaron Cox
pictures disappeared unsure.gif
bondo
Holy crap! I'm glad you went into the hill instead of of the cliff! That could have been VERY bad. ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
BTW- if that is GMR/GRR how did you get ahold of a tow? no cell reception.

globalstar sat phone? dry.gif
Came out of that left hander too hot and momentum was carrying you toward that apex on the right hander too hot, tried to steer out of it and cleared the front but hit the rear quarter?

confused24.gif
Jacques
Finally earned my 'mile marker' from GMR/GRR (4.25) mad.gif Will go nicely with my other two (Angeles Crest & Mt. Wilson) dry.gif

user posted image
Jacques
BTW- if that is GMR/GRR how did you get ahold of a tow? no cell reception.

globalstar sat phone?  <_<

Glendora, indeed. Luckily I had a full 'pit crew' on hand to go to the bottom of the mountain and get help (Trucks, Tool Kit, Towing) apparently AAA Tow drivers are not allowed on certain parts of these roads, and the driver refused to come to my area. So I had a 4 car funeral procession down into San Dimas/Glendora where I was able to leave my car for a couple hours.
blink.gif
Once I finally got down the Mt., I was able to daisy-chain 3 different towing companies (AAA 7mi. x2 + Chevron 10mi. = 27mi. free) to get me back to Pasadena/Altadena where I am storing the car, to part out. My other cars will reap the benefits!!

wub.gif In Memoriam (1973 - 2005)

user posted image
Mueller
oh nooooo Mr Bill......sorry to hear of this....glad you walked away....damn, another 914 gone
jhadler
Wow, that sucks... But a good thing you're okay, and that you didn't go to the other "curb"...

Sorry about the car, but is it really dead? The one picture of the rear didn't look all that bad. Certainly not a write-off at least... Or was there suspension and chassis damage that we can't see?

-Josh2
markb
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 22 2005, 01:11 PM)

wub.gif In Memorandum (1973 - 2005)

user posted image

I think you mean in memorium.
John
I'm glad you are OK.

I always say you should not drive that way on the street. Please reserve that for the racetrack. You are lucky nobody else was involved.

No excuses
Jacques
wink.gif Yeah, i should've taken a picture of the other 'curb' .. that would have gotten me down the Mt. a bit faster, albeit in an ambulance! -- As for the car, it's gone for good, the doors won't close, body lines are all twisted. I'll get my cell phone pics up soon. Those first two were taken by a guy on a motorcycle, said he had totalled a couple bikes himself.

I told him to take as many pictures as he wanted as long as he sent them to my email type.gif
Root_Werks
sad.gif Glad you are okay, sorry to hear about the car.
Jacques

oh yeh thanks,.. actually memorium isn't a word?!

I like memorandum! (ok Memoriam)
yeahmag
Wow man... Sorry to hear about that.

-Aaron
in memoriam
One entry found for in memoriam.

Main Entry: in me·mo·ri·am
Pronunciation: "in-m&-'mOr-E-&m, -'mor-
Function: preposition
Etymology: Latin
: in memory of -- used especially in epitaphs
markb
Oh well, I was a little closer than memorandum. biggrin.gif
Jacques
chair.gif ok, back to the pictures.

user posted image

user posted image
Jacques
...  You are lucky nobody else was involved.

No excuses

I agree, this is very true. Although there is no excuse, we always follow the canyon code, to exercise extreme caution through blind sections. Any and all measures are taken to ensure this. Seriously, it may look reckless, but the other driver/rider is my main concern!
Dead Air
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 22 2005, 01:49 PM)

oh yeh thanks,.. actually memorium isn't a word?!

I like memorandum! (ok Memoriam)

[QUOTE]

Memorium, Noun
A place for the inturnment of dead thoughts. ie. The dreams of youth, agrivating thoughts about your ex brother-in-law.
dmenche914
Me thinks the problem of getting the throttle response is lack of traction. Once your in gravel/dirt throttle responce to moving the car will be bad.

it can be fixxed? i have seen worse.

Good luck
SLITS
Since you like the dirt, just cut a couple of fenders off, whack it with a BFH and go off-roading dry.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 22 2005, 05:45 PM)
Since you like the dirt, just cut a couple of fenders off, whack it with a BFH and go off-roading dry.gif

call it the redneckshlitzmobile
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2005, 05:46 PM)

Iffin ya had A-aron Admins H4s, it woudna happened finger.gif

:insertslowburnsmileyhere:
bd1308
ohmy.gif you even trashed your right side suspension console....

sad.gif hey man i've been in a wreck too....too fast on snow, not enough brakes.

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 22 2005, 05:48 PM)

or my hella GT rally lights smile.gif

happened in the day i take it?
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2005, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 22 2005, 05:48 PM)

or my hella GT rally lights smile.gif

happened in the day i take it?

Naw, they just had a really bright lantern....... wink.gif
Speedster07
Jacques,
Maby it's time for CF trunk lid and GT Flairs clap.gif
everything happens for a reason. Maby she just wants a big butt
and fat tires
Jacques
Jacques,
Maby it's time for CF trunk lid and GT Flairs    user posted image
everything happens for a reason. Maby she just wants a big butt
and fat tires

driving.gif I'd like to really, but it's irreparable (read: too expensive) You'd have to see it in person. The whole rear of the car has completely changed. The initial impact destroyed both of the trans. mounts. We literally dragged this car to the city. Anybody is welcome to take a look, should be early '06 by the time I have the car stripped (interior, etc). The last of my '73s will be looking for a new home; free of course!

sad2.gif More pics on the way --
Aaron Cox
trans survive? or did it snap both ears off the tail cone?
MattR
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 22 2005, 10:50 PM)
The last of my '73s will be looking for a new home; free of course!

You need to get rid of a 914?

Where is the red 914 currently parked? In So Pas? I'll be up there this weekend. Maybe I'll stop by friday... i'll give you a call.
Jacques
trans survive? or did it snap both ears off the tail cone?

Trans is history, snapped clean off. Initially came out of my '74 (sideshifter) was filled with Motul Gear 300! Once I got to my parking spot, the trans just let go, fluid everywhere. apparently opened up from the heat/friction.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 22 2005, 10:50 PM)
The last of my '73s will be looking for a new home; free of course!

???

What are you getting rid of?
Jacques

You need to get rid of a 914?

Where is the red 914 currently parked?  In So Pas?  I'll be up there this weekend.  Maybe I'll stop by friday... i'll give you a call.

Thanks Matt, won't need a new home 'till January (approx). oh, yeah the Red one, but not in So Pas, that's my 70 or 72. It's up in Altadena if you wanna check it out-- Once I finish parting it out, it's up for grabs.

sawzall-smiley.gif The front fenders are still nice! It'll be a rust-free roller for sure!
MattR
Is that the one that was parked at pavillions for ages? Or the victem? Or are they the same car? confused24.gif
Jacques
QUOTE (KaptKaos Nov 23 2005 @ 12:09 AM)
???

Right here >> cool_shades.gif

user posted image

user posted image
Jacques
QUOTE (MattR @ Nov 23 2005, 12:27 AM)
Is that the one that was parked at pavillions for ages?  Or the victem?  Or are they the same car?  :confused:

huh.gif I know, i've got too many right?? The one at Pavillions is my '75,. that's up in Sierra Madre right now. The R.I.P. one I bought from Scientific [Porsche Auto Shop on E. Walnut - N/E of PCC]. Used to be in So Pas. on Monterey Rd., but in a car-port, sometimes at Pavillions,.

um... i'm not sure that helps! wacko.gif
Jacques
sad2.gif
user posted image

user posted image
Jacques
The Last 2
beerchug.gif

user posted image

user posted image
Root_Werks
sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
"Victim of circumstance"? Victim of failure to observe the basic speed law.................. Sorry to make this observation of reality, but it's true. You were simply going too fast for conditions. The Cap'n, who just finished reading the paper and is fed up with traffic "accidents". 2 sets of local parents are having fewer kids at their table for thanksgiving because one kid was going too fast for conditions.
J P Stein
Silgle car accident's are mostly caused by running out of talent, room, & ideas ....all about the same. Lack of throttle response is one excuse I'd never heard before....well done. Send pics of your next one.

"Canyon Rules" are set by law, not by squirrels.
Aaron Cox
gonna unload the autopower bar?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 23 2005, 09:34 AM)
Silgle car accident's are mostly caused by running out of talent, room,  & ideas ....all about the same. Lack of throttle response is one excuse I'd never heard before....well done. Send pics of your next one.

"Canyon Rules" are set by law, not by squirrels.

KaptKaos
QUOTE (Jacques @ Nov 22 2005, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (KaptKaos Nov 23 2005 @ 12:09 AM)
???

Right here >> cool_shades.gif

user posted image

user posted image

When do you need it gone by?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.