Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weberconversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billywalton
i am installing a set of webers on a 73 914 1.8. the kit is from redline. does the bar attach to the front or back of carbs. i need pictures or a installed unit or detail info on how to hookup the carb throttle linkage. help.
Joe Ricard
Well don't know your linkage configuration but, with CB type linkage hex bar with arms on each end connected to reach rods that actuate the carb throttle plates.

I put mine on the front throttle cable pulls lever forwards from top of bar. This rotates hex bar and pushes arms down. this action pushes on and rotates the throttle plates by means of short link attached to throttle plate shaft. Rotation of throttle plates is towards the center of the engine.
tommy914
You can also mount them on the back of the carb with the throttle cable pulling forward from under the bar.

It really depends on how you fabricate the bracket that holds the cable, and how much room you have at the rear of the motor. On some motors the throttle crossbar arms will be too close to the back wall and rub.

If you search a little you will find some engine pics with carbs.

Type 4 Unleashed
Here's a pic, should give you an idea:

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (V6914 @ Nov 23 2005, 10:39 AM)
Here's a pic, should give you an idea:

that linkage wont work.... arm needs to be on the top.
maf914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2005, 09:54 AM)
that linkage wont work.... arm needs to be on the top.

Maybe, or maybe not.

I also depends on how the throttle arms are placed on the carb throttle shaft, i.e. on which side of the carb body. This dictates if the linkage is pushing down to open the butterflies or pulling up to open them.
lapuwali
In short, it will go either way. I prefer having it to the rear of the engine bay, as it doesn't get in the way of the distributor to set timing. However, it can interfere with the trunk lid springs depending on how it's set up.

You really want the drop links to be as close to vertical as you can get them. If you splay them out to pull the arms up (as pictured), then you'll get unequal action at some point in the stroke that will be impossible to adjust out.
Kargeek
Here's how I did mine. Arms to the rear, simple cable bracket off the side of the carb. The CB linkage had two positions on the carb linkage stands to mount the cross bar- high and low- I used the lower position and cut down the stand. DH
Joe Ricard
DAng that's a clean engine compartment. Do you actually drive that thing?
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 23 2005, 03:55 PM)
DAng that's a clean engine compartment. Do you actually drive that thing?

Yeah. What he said!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.