Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb fuel pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
We had a thread the other day re. fuel pumps for a V8 hotrod/track car...well coincidentally after my last track event, it looks like the Holley Red pump in my car died. (I rolled the car into the garage and didn't touch it until yesterday when I noticed the dead pump). It was quite new, with only about 3-4 events on it, so my confidence in this type of pump is greatly in doubt at this point.

I have a spare that I'll toss in next weekend, but am looking for recommendations on -reliable- low-pressure (carb) pumps that are AN-6 fitting compatible (adapters not a problem if needed, but stock-type push-on fittings are not what I'm looking for). I'll flip thru my Pegaus, Summit and Jegs catalogs but any BTDT advice beats a random crapshoot...

Thx,
Trekkor
I'm surprised your Holley bit the dust.

Mine has been trouble free for just about a year now.

KT
Brad Roberts
Filter before and after the pump?

I'm really surprised it died that quickly on you. Take it apart. They are simple to rebuild. I have good success with the Blue and Red, but I did carry spare parts at all times.

B
campbellcj
I haven't taken it apart yet. Will check the pump and the filters (there are 2) and report back next weekend. I know a LOT of guys run these pumps so I would be very surprised if it just randomly failed, too. Then again, I also see quite a few race cars with redundant dual-pump setups, and I figure they didn't do the extra work just for fun...

I previously (last year IIRC) had electrical issues with the pump but I rewired it properly and verified that it does have power now, but isn't running.
Brad Roberts
I relay them and fuse them (stock relay and fuse) I have also seen a lot of twin setups, but they are typically trying to get ALL the fuel out of the tank with multiple pick up points.

B
brant
I'm kinda surprised too Chris.
I don't have enough miles on my holley to prove its durabililty yet...

but the reason I used it was upon the recommendation of a shop that has Many of them in service for many years, and the shop thought they were buillit proof.

I hope it is easy to repair for you!

brant
race914
I'm running a Holley too without any problems, however I've had several other racers recommend a Facet fuel pump that you may want to look into..
Brett W
I haven't seen anything but junk from the Holley reds, blues, and blacks. Had two of my own go out in short order, had another start leaking, bought three at the track and they were all bad. Ended up replacing it with a Mallory. The ball bearing mallory pumps are good pumps so are the Aeromotive pumps. They are all high dollar pumps but they are worth the money. The health of your motor relies on the quality of a fuel pump. You can't afford to cheap out on a pump and A: have to miss a race because it takes a dump on the grid or B: lose a race and motor because the cheap POS pump yo bought leaned your engine out until you melt the pistons. Spend the cheeese and buy a nice pump.
Brett W
or this:\
campbellcj
Update

I finally have a few hours to call my own this weekend. I traced the problem to the power supply (as you guys suspected, the pump itself seems OK). I had wired it thru a factory Wehrle relay and relay socket/harness, which is mounted to the under dash fuse/relay board in an unused hole.

Turns out the relay was loose/wobbling in the socket! So of course the vibrations of the track driving would cause the pins to intermittently make and lose contact, and the pump would accordingly switch on and off. And until a few moments ago it was in the "off" wobble position. For whatever reason I was reading +12V at the pump connector but I guess there wasn't any significant current flowing so the pump couldn't run.

I think it's time to go ahead and install the Engman fuse panel I've got sitting here, and perhaps redo some of the wiring, relays and switches as well. Sounds like fun (NOT)...
Downunderman
FWIW, i'm using one of these:

http://www.federalmogul.com/aftermarket/us...try=USA&NumIm=2

puts out about 7 psi into a PMO fuel regulator. The bracket supplied with it enables it to be hung off one of the rack mouning bolts. Above all else, it quiet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.