Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump wireing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I am now trying to chase down the wires to relocate the fuel pump. It is a black with red stripe and a brown @ the fuel pump connector. I found a black and red wire @ the connector on the relay board in the motor compartment.

Does the wire go into the car at that point?

Can I ground the - side to the body or do I need to locate the brown wire also?

Is it possible to check if everything works(relay board etc.) without the motor in the car?
toon1
no takers on this one?
SLITS
First, what year? (fuel pump in front or in engine compartment?)

On a '73...the black w/red trace comes from pin #13 on the relay board in the main harness (14 pin connector). The brown (ground) runs to a body ground connection (along with a few others), but the wire is contained in the main harness.

The fuel pump relay on the relay board has to be activated for it to run with the key on and I believe it is "proofed" by the ECU. You can jump terminals in the relay socket to make it run. I believe it is terminals 30 & 87 on the relay socket****

****Somebody correct me if I picked the wrong ones from the diagram.
toon1
It's a 73, I am relocating the pump to the front.
SLITS
Here's another way...courtesy of the resident Kraut

Make my fuel pump run
Dave_Darling
Ground the one pin to any convenent ground--like the chassis nearby.

Run a wire through the center tunnel that connects to the black/red wire at the relay board. Run the wire along the main wiring harness until it gets into the compartment where you want the pump to live, then have it split off from the harness. It can be a bit of a pain running an extra wire along the harness, but it is doable and is probably the cleanest way to do it.

--DD
toon1
there is a black and red wire running through the tunnel is this a different wire.

I was looking at Andy's post on making the fuel pump run. do the other connections have to be made (alt. and other wire harness) to run the fuel pump? The motor is out of the car. ohmy.gif
lapuwali
The fuel pump is switched on by the fuel pump relay on the relay board. The ECU does the switching through that relay. There is no "fuel pump wire" running through the tunnel. The fuel pump power wire only runs from the relay board to the fuel pump itself.

If you're moving the pump to the front, there are a couple of things you can do. The simplest is to get an inline fuse holder with 7-8 amp fuse and some 18g black wire, and connect it to switched power directly, which will be one of the black wires at the fusebox. Black is generally "switched power" anywhere on the 914. If you don't want to stress the ignition switch, add a relay. There are a few posts you can search for here on how to do this. If you do this, the fuel pump will be on all the time the ignition is on.

The other thing you can do is run the red/black wire off the relay board all the way up front through the tunnel, so the ECU and the stock fuel pump relay continue to power the pump.

You can also just not move the pump. The position on the rear firewall generally keeps it out of the area where the HEs dump their air, which was what caused the overheating and vapor lock problems in the first place.
toon1
thank's for the help guy's. I think I will leave it in the front andrun a seperate wire. Lot's of good info, thank's again. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.