Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Ok, experts. Just bought a 73 4cyl 2.0 all ready to go in 'stock improved'. All the right goodies suspension wise, light weight, but stock motor.

Handles great, and taking it to Streets of Willow for open track days 9/27-28. It's a good deal ($165, show put on by Shelby club, but open to all makes) and I'm ready to roll. Last time in race car was 1970, so really am a novice.

So what are the most likely parts to break? What spares should I bring? Do I have any chance against the big iron on that short track? Anyone want to join me?
Brad Roberts
Gauges. You need to ad a oil temp gauge. Stock 2.0's without external coolers (mounted in the front with clean air passing thru them) will overheat in about 3 full throttle laps on a 85 degree day.

Take a throttle cable with you...

Take a clutch cable with you...

Check the break pads...

Bleed the brakes prior to the event... flush the system and put KNOWN good fluid in it.

Check the shift rod "pins" that screw into the couplers...

Check the tranny fluid (change it if you dont know when it was changed last)

Check the rear wheel bearings and front wheel bearings (easy to do when your bleeding the brakes)

CHeck the engine/tranny mounts...

Number 1: Have fun.

Number 2: Take it easy... dont lift while in a corner.
seanery
fan belt.
Bleyseng
A assortment of fuses and round relays, extra oil to top off the oil to 1/2 quart high.
boxstr
Digital camera, to take pics of the smile on your face to send to 914world.com
CCLINRICKYRACERVILLE
Lawrence
Okay.. Riddle me this, Batman...

Stock 2.0's without external coolers (mounted in the front with clean air passing thru them) will overheat in about 3 full throttle laps on a 85 degree day.

So it's okay to run a 2.7 or 3.0 without a front mounted cooler, but a stock 2.0/4 needs one? Am I misquoting your previous statements, Brad?

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
I think what he is saying is - On a 85 degree day at the track, a stock 2.0L 4 will overheat after 3 runs at WOT.
Autocrossing on a 85 degree day, my 2.1L will get really close to it. When Blair and I run switching driving between runs so we run a total of 8 runs in a short period.
Just not enough air going over a stock oil cooler in that situation.
Geoff
drew365
You will probably ride the rear of the Shelby's through 80% of the track. They'll leave you behind on the two straights. My friend runs a similar 2.0 in improved stock class and turns ocassional 1:18's. Are you going to have a transponder to collect times? You should come out the the POC short track event there Nov. 8 & 9.
seanery
6's have a superior cooling capacity due to the bigger resevoir of oil.
Howard
Thanks to all for your input. Will try to make the POC meet in November. Here is the PO's car description. An what does a Jaz breather bottle do (except collect water)?

Daily Driver - Street legal, California Smog-exempt, current Registration, clear Title
Weekend Racer - Professionally prepared engine and suspension for Stock-Improved club racing classes (Autocross, Slalom, Time Trail, Wheel-to-Wheel)
Preferred 2.0 Liter 4-Cylinder Engine, stock Bosch Fuel Injection
Recent OEM Clutch
High pressure Oil Relief Valves & Jaz breather bottle
Blueprinted Oil Pump
External Oil Cooler
Extra capacity Oil Sump
Custom engine Cooling vents
Stainless steel Brake Lines
Custom stainless steel Muffler
Solid engine & transmission Mounts
Bilstein Sport Shocks, front & rear
140# rear Coil springs
Adjustable front Sway Bar
Autopower Full Roll Cage, Stand-21 5-Point Seatbelts (both seats), recharged Fire Extinguisher
Momo Suede Steering wheel with spacer, leather Shift knob
Fuchs alloy wheels with Toyo Proxes RA1 performance tires
PLUS set of American Racing wheels with street tires
Fiberglass Bumpers, front & rear
PLUS chrome stock bumpers, front and rear
New windshield (race legal), new Battery
Custom Tow Hooks, front and rear
Custom Tow Bar available
tryan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

sounds nice.
Andyrew
agree.gif
Dave_Darling
I suggest that you don't just check the brake pads--replace them. I went through more than half a set of regular stock-type pads in a three-day weekend. Not good, because I started with the set half-gone...

--DD
Brad Roberts
Sounds like you bought a decent car. My list applies to ANY car that you might take to the track. Its a general list that we use to go over each car before a track event.

LB you quoted correctly. The stock 4 had "adequate" cooling. The 911 engines had more than enough air cooling and nice fat supply of cool oil kept away from the engine. The type 4 engine experiences heat soak (read Bleysengs post) much much faster than any 911 engine.

B
tryan
check the ears on the rear suspension console.
Lawrence
Thanks, Sean and Brad. I forgot about the oil tank. chatsmiley.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.