Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headers vs heat exchangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
On a stock D-jet 2.0, is there any benefit to going to header instead of the heat exchangers?I have the engine out, the exhaust off, and want to know the score.

I know that will loose cabin heat, but, well, it just aint that kinda car laugh.gif .

Do the headers weigh any less then the exchangers?

I have the old, rusty stock exhaust. Can I do better? I have read tht the stockers flow pretty well. But it is heavy as hell.

Thanks

Zach
Brando
You can go with SSI (Stainless with H/Es) or Euro Race Header, Tangerine Racing's header...
Mueller
your stock system sucks biggrin.gif

....worse design out there is the '75/'76 exhaust....'73/'74 2.0 stock or any model SSI would be a big improvement

Headers such as the Eurorace would be better than the h/e's due to better flow and weighing less

top of the line is Tangerine racing
sean_v8_914
the stainless HEsw weigh alot less that stock HEs
Dead Air
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 2 2005, 10:32 PM)
On a stock D-jet 2.0

[QUOTE]

Like he said....
icon_bump.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Dead Air @ Dec 3 2005, 12:43 AM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 2 2005, 10:32 PM)
On a stock D-jet 2.0

[QUOTE]

Like he said....
icon_bump.gif

what part of my post didn't you read?? smile.gif biggrin.gif

Headers such as the Eurorace would be better than the h/e's due to better flow and weighing less

less tubing used, no sheet metal covering the tubes, a smaller muffler can be used, so yes, headers are lighter.....
Dead Air
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 3 2005, 12:00 AM)
[QUOTE=Dead Air,Dec 3 2005, 12:43 AM] [QUOTE=Vacca Rabite,Dec 2 2005, 10:32 PM] On a stock D-jet 2.0

[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

Like he said....
icon_bump.gif [/QUOTE]
what part of my post didn't you read?? smile.gif biggrin.gif

[QUOTE]Headers such as the Eurorace would be better than the h/e's due to better flow and weighing less
[/QUOTE]

less tubing used, no sheet metal covering the tubes, a smaller muffler can be used, so yes, headers are lighter.....

yeah, you got me on that one ,smart guy... rolleyes.gif
[QUOTE]

but, would you powder coat them? Huh, would ya?

At 3:34 in the morning ( beer3.gif ) I got time to read every single word of every single thread.
I don't think so! mad.gif
powdercoat rear view mirror?
powder coat shifter knob?
powder coat Porsche crest?
Huh? Huh? hijacked.gif
Joe Ricard
Well Headers damn well better make more power. and the Top of the line Header will be on my car by Christmas. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Grass Roots Motor Sports di the 914 project and reported gains in power from headers. Kind of did a bang for the buck comparision. Bursch 4-2-1 and 2.0 SSI seemed the best HP for thr dollar.

I got that and now I want more
Bleyseng
To gain 6-7hp install the early style 2.0L SSI HE's witha Bursch or Triad muffler.

If you want more install a Tangerine Header and lose the heat.

popcorn[1].gif
blitZ
The tricky part is finding a good deal on 2.0L SS HEs. sad.gif I've been looking. Anyone have any leads??
DanT
So what does a good set of used SSIs go for, if you can find them?

If I find a set of headers I will have a set of SSIs for sale. Along with a decent Bursch.
unsure.gif smile.gif
SLITS
I'll take the heat.....ladies like it too!
MartyYeoman
[QUOTE]
If I find a set of headers I will have a set of SSIs for sale. Along with a decent Bursch.

I want those!!!
Aaron Cox
used 2l SSI's are about 400 or so.....

user posted image
GeorgeRud
Unless it's going to be a race car, the SSI exchangers are the way to go - even if you don't need heat, windshield defrost sure is nice!
VaccaRabite
Okay, I;ll start looking for a set of the 2.0 SSI and another muffler.

Thanks guys.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 3 2005, 09:04 AM)

i know of a stack of at least 100 sets, brand new in the original boxes ...

wink.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 3 2005, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 3 2005, 09:04 AM)

i know of a stack of at least 100 sets, brand new in the original boxes ...

wink.gif Andy

Great. Where?

You tease.... mueba.gif

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 3 2005, 04:44 PM)
Great. Where?
You tease.... mueba.gif

won't do you any good, he'll only sell to resellers, not endusers ...

now, if we had a individual with fairly deep pockets, we could buy the whole load and sell them through the 914club eCommerce ...
idea.gif Andy
Spoke
Keep the heat!!

When I bought my car, the heat flappers were missing. I couldn't stand driving the car even when the outside temps were 60F. Now with heat, I can drive my 914 year round (except in the snow) and I find that I can drive it as much in the winter as summer.

Spoke
anthony
Another vote for heat. One of the nicest thing about a 914 is driving around on a sunny yet crisp winter's day with the top off and the heat blasting.

Bleyseng
oh yeah, the chicks love that! shocked[1].gif
VaccaRabite
How do the stock heat exchangers (72-74 2.0) flow compaired to the stainless ones. The SSI ones seem to be very hard to come by. The only place I can find them new is AA, for $$$$.

*edit* and I don't want them new, but can't find them used. */edit*

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 5 2005, 04:24 PM)
The SSI ones seem to be very hard to come by.

SSI's have a larger dia. tube, so flow is better with them. also, heat is better/faster ...

i even ran a set of 1.8L SSI's on my warmed over 2056 without trouble ...

they show up on ebay from time to time ...

wink.gif Andy
jd74914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 5 2005, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Dec 5 2005, 04:24 PM)
The SSI ones seem to be very hard to come by.

SSI's have a larger dia. tube, so flow is better with them. also, heat is better/faster ...

i even ran a set of 1.8L SSI's on my warmed over 2056 without trouble ...

they show up on ebay from time to time ...

wink.gif Andy

I got some 1.8L SSI's off ebay for $200 shipped

I think there are some on their now for about that, probably a little more. IIRC the ID of both 1.8 and 2.0 SSI HE's is the same, so they both flow the same amount, just with the 1.8 you need to run a different muffler (which means no triad b/c they do not make a 1.8 model)
VaccaRabite
So, the 1.8 SSI exchangers will fit and work on a 2.0 engine? Am I reading that correctly? The bolt up correctly to the exhaust ports on the 2.0 engine? The are the right length for the muffler?

What would be the point of differentiation then? Are the flanges different for the 1.7/1.8 mufflers then the 2.0?

Zach
Bleyseng
There is a bend at the end to locate the muffler flange higher to fit a stock 1.8L muffler. They work fine.
Allan
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Dec 4 2005, 07:11 AM)
oh yeah, the chicks love that! shocked[1].gif

You raise chicks???
Bleyseng
No, the girls that ride in my 914 like the top off and the heat on.
VaccaRabite
Well, it looks like I found a set of stainless exchangers over at the bird board.

Wohoo!

Bit by bit this car is comming together. Man, for a car with a relativly small ownership base, I am constantly surprised with the quality of the owners!

Zach
Bleyseng
if you are changing over to the 73-74 style HE's you also need new Jtubes, S warmair guides and those tubes that go to the flapper valves to make it work. It can be off any 70-74 early style HE set up it took make it all work. popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Dec 5 2005, 11:44 PM)
if you are changing over to the 73-74 style HE's you also need new Jtubes, S warmair guides and those tubes that go to the flapper valves to make it work. It can be off any 70-74 early style HE set up it took make it all work. popcorn[1].gif

I diddn't know that. Thanks.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.