Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5-lug rear conversion. Can it be this simple?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChicagoChris
I want to convert the rear of my '72 to 5-lug. I know I can get the rear hubs redrilled. But what about changing everything.

I have been offered the hubs and 1/2-shafts from a '71 911. Can I just bolt them on? Is it that simple?

Chris
michel richard
Don't know all the details off the top of my head, but you can't just bolt the 911 stuff on. The halfshafts are a different length. The cv joints are different and the splines on the stub axels different too.
There's several ways to do a conversion. Do a search, this has been discussed extensively
lagunero
Contact Eric Shea. He's in the Resources section. He's one of the good guys.
jim912928
I did this a year ago....only need two parts....hubs from your 71 are perfect. Then you need a pair of 914-6 stub axles (part that goes through the hub and the axle/cv joint bolts on to. The wheel bearings are the same. You can usually get a pretty good deal on the stub axles from mittlemotor (they have them for sale all the time on ebay). Oh, you'll also need 914-6 brake rotors if you are staying with solid rotors.

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE (ChicagoChris @ Dec 3 2005, 07:30 AM)
I have been offered the hubs and 1/2-shafts from a '71 911.  Can I just bolt them on?  Is it that simple?

no, the 911 axle is too short ...
there are several solutions out there, but all of them require some machining ...

do a search here for my description of a 944 based solution ...
smash.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
hubs from your 71 are perfect. Then you need a pair of 914-6 stub axles (part that goes through the hub and the axle/cv joint bolts on to. The wheel bearings are the same. You can usually get a pretty good deal on the stub axles from mittlemotor (they have them for sale all the time on ebay)

agree.gif Cept... Mittlemotor may not be selling them on eBay anymore. You used to be able to snag them for $250 from them. Most -6 stub axles are just too damn expensive if you can't find the MM deal (IMHO)
Aaron Cox
use eric....

either, new bearings and redrilled 914 hubs (CHEAPEST)
or buy his 5 lug control arms
-new bearings bushings etc...just bolt em on.
(easiest...but mo expensive)
John
I'll sell my pair of 914-6 stub axles for $250.00 + $7.00 shipping.
jim912928
That's a good deal..grab them and they'll fit right up with your 71 hubs.

Did you ever find your front end components?
Mar7ck
1969 hubs and stub axles will do the trick.
No spacer needed.

Mar7ck
Mar7ck
oh yeah that's a 1969 911.
Mar7ck
This is what it looks like!!!
ChicagoChris
All good stuff. I think I will be going with Eric and his re-drilled hubs. I am a man on a mission and a budget.

Chris
Eric_Shea
1969 hubs and stub axles will do the trick.

Try it on your car first laugh.gif

Film at 11:00 popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.