Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 oiltank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
I'm gonna use a 911 oiltank in my six conversion (it's out of a 3.2 carrera)

Today, I cleaned up the tank and ground off the stock mounting tabs (which are on the "front" of the tank, thus useless)
user posted image

Next, I fabbed 2 new mounting tabs
user posted image

And welded them to the tank
user posted image

Tank roughly in place against the firewall in the front trunk
user posted image
user posted image

Nice thing about the 911 oiltank is that it has a drainplug
I took out one of the "donuts" in the front truck floor and the drain will be positioned over it
I used some pvc plumbing pieces from the hardware store to cover the hole up and still keep it easily accessible
user posted image

Another nice feature on the 911 tank is the sender for a oil level gauge

I still need to make a mounting tab near the bottom of the tank and the tabs on the chassis, but so far, it's working out nicely
seanery
that's pretty slick Jeroen! clap.gif
Jeroen
welding the new tabs on was a bit nerve wrecking
I knew that if I "blew" through the tank I could ditch it unsure.gif
but the welds turned out nice
seanery
is that aluminum? If so, what type of weld is it? Kinda looks like a TIG.
Jeroen
just ordinary sheetmetal...
seanery
then that's a good looking MIG bead welder.gif
Bleyseng
damn, what the Dutch will do to save a buck (Euro)
r_towle
I had heard from some porsche 914 race car builders here that there was an elevation issue with mounting the tank to low...

They had cut an old gas tank in thirds...they rewelded the tank so that the passenger side was for fuel and the drivers side was for oil...

The problem was that it was not high enough...

I dont know...just might want to check that out....you could always mount it up higher...

Rich
Jeroen
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Dec 4 2005, 03:54 AM)
damn, what the Dutch will do to save a buck (Euro)

I have a stock /6 oiltank in my parts stash too, so it's not because I'm cheapin' out cool_shades.gif

I had heard from some porsche 914 race car builders here that there was an elevation issue with mounting the tank to low...

thanks for the tip, I'll double check to make sure
but I don't hear any of these problems from guys who are using a Patterson style tank uprfront
idea.gif
Aaron Cox
why use a 911 one? just use a big ol peterson one....

please?

otherwise looks good
Jeroen
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 4 2005, 05:59 AM)
why use a 911 one? just use a big ol peterson one....

remember I'm in europe...
stuff that you guys have easy access to is hard to get here

also it's easy... stock everything (filter, dipstick)
a 911 take also has a sender for an oil level gauge... nice!

second, it was cheap (ok, I'll admit it biggrin.gif)
paid €150 for the tank and a 3.2 oilcooler

third, I wanna keep all the fittings standard metric (metric oilcooler and metric t-stat)
those purdy hose fittings are f-ing expensive here (about twice what you pay) and hard to get (specially the -16 sizes)

I can have custom oillines made with standard metric pressed on fittings for a fraction of what all the braided hose, reusable fittings, metric adapters etc. would cost me
Aaron Cox
hmmmmmmmm

good point on the hoses... but use a race tank. it would look exponentially better smile.gif

not trying to rain on your parade..... your ride looks awesome...dont skimp on the tank smile.gif
sixnotfour
it would look exponentially better

Your so vain . Now that your car is painted. laugh.gif
I wish TJ was closer for me.

Function over Form , oh and a budget
How about a sheet alum. cover to dress it up.

I should talk my oil tank is in the rear trunk wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Dec 3 2005, 10:34 PM)
it would look exponentially better

Your so vain . Now that your car is painted. laugh.gif
I wish TJ was closer for me.

laugh.gif

LMFAO here......

do it cuz its aesthetically pleasing to the eye.....

no offense mr yarooon.... biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
come on Aaaron, show us a pic of the tank you is talking about boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
just a race tank.... peterson.

user posted image

Bleyseng
Looks too much like a bomb so I don't think I could hand carry that over to Jeroen.
thesey914
Yaroon, surely there is a better place to mount a 911 tank like where the battery should go. If the tray was cut out there would be enough room there?
I'm sure I saw a picture of a tank mounted in this position -anyone have it in their pic collection?

Oh another thing...Jaroen can I talk you into selling me your six tank as you're not going to use it?
jim912928
Interesting question...I have an 84 carrera tank (still in the car). Would it fit in the passenger side fender well if the batter were relocated?
thesey914
An early tank might fit better as they're a bit squarer...this nice pic of Brants car shows it might be a bit tight
thesey914
early tank..
Positioning the tank on this side would complicate the oil return (to cooler). Line would have to run under front of motor and back to cooler. Hose from scavenge to tank would be a cinch though.
Jeroen
QUOTE (thesey914 @ Dec 4 2005, 06:29 PM)
Yaroon, surely there is a better place to mount a 911 tank like where the battery should go. If the tray was cut out there would be enough room there?

the car is a track car, so the front trunk will do just fine

Oh another thing...Jaroen can I talk you into selling me your six tank as you're not going to use it?

Sorry, but nope... gonna keep it in my parts stash. Ya never know what other projects I'll do in the future biggrin.gif

Looks too much like a bomb so I don't think I could hand carry that over to Jeroen.

airport security will love ya
lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Dec 4 2005, 04:17 PM)

airport security will love ya
lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

For some reason they didn't mind me carrying the 22mm Tbars onto the flight only when a stupid lady pulled her huge bag outta the bin knocking the TBars onto another passengers head...ouch!
When I carried your engine mount thru security they didn't care only asked "WTF is it? oh, classic car parts, no problem."

You better hurry up and get that car running as Zoey is getting closer to driving age! av-943.gif
brant
QUOTE (thesey914 @ Dec 4 2005, 10:46 AM)
early tank..
Positioning the tank on this side would complicate the oil return (to cooler). Line would have to run under front of motor and back to cooler. Hose from scavenge to tank would be a cinch though.

What if you modified the motor oil cooler to have the fitting point rearward instead of forward....

then put the tank-to-cooler scavange line behind the motor?

what are the physical measurements of the early tank.
I'd like to take a tape measure to the chassis now.

hmmmmm.....

brant
thesey914
Another possible consideration would be extra heat in the engine bay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.