Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seal Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Poor-sche Lover
How do they balance that damn beachball on their nose?

. . . . sorry. . . .

Anyway, I'm planning on buying an engine gasket set for my 2.0. In doing a search, I have heard that I have to buy the Viton seals separately. I am trying to figure out what's included in the seat. I am (probably) going to buy the set from Pelican, but I'm open to suggestions. It says that it does not include the flywheel, pulley, or lower windage seals. I'm really getting confused with all the different names. I know some of them, but can somebody explain/show where the flywheel seal, pulley seal, lower windage seal, rear main seal, front main seal, mainshaft seal, crankshaft seal are. I'm sure some of these are different names for the same seal, but, what can I say, I'm an idiot. Forgive my ignorance.

On a related, but different note, does anybody have a picture of the oil galley plugs behind the flywheel? I don't remember seeing them when I took out my flywheel last time. I hope they're not gone. No wonder I have an oil leak!

Thanks all.
Bleyseng
The seal kits don't supply the front and rear crankshaft seals nor the windage tray which the seals should be reuseable. That tray sits inside the engine below the crank.

Order the Viton seals separately and use the white teftlon gasket stuff that Jake sells to seal them. popcorn[1].gif

Galley plugs we rip out and replace with screw in pipe plugs as the other blow out.
Poor-sche Lover
Le bump
jhadler
QUOTE (Poor-sche Lover @ Dec 4 2005, 03:50 PM)
How do they balance that damn beachball on their nose?

. . . . sorry. . . .

Anyway, I'm planning on buying an engine gasket set for my 2.0. In doing a search, I have heard that I have to buy the Viton seals separately. I am trying to figure out what's included in the seat. I am (probably) going to buy the set from Pelican, but I'm open to suggestions. It says that it does not include the flywheel, pulley, or lower windage seals. I'm really getting confused with all the different names. I know some of them, but can somebody explain/show where the flywheel seal, pulley seal, lower windage seal, rear main seal, front main seal, mainshaft seal, crankshaft seal are. I'm sure some of these are different names for the same seal, but, what can I say, I'm an idiot. Forgive my ignorance.

On a related, but different note, does anybody have a picture of the oil galley plugs behind the flywheel? I don't remember seeing them when I took out my flywheel last time. I hope they're not gone. No wonder I have an oil leak!

Thanks all.

Flywheel seal: The seal that's behind the flywheel on the engine. It's sealing the flywheel end fo the crankshaft. There will be three shim washers under the flywheel in there... Also, while you're in there get a new flywheel o-ring, felt washer, and pilot bearing. All cheap insurance while you're in there.

Fan/Pulley seal: Same thing as the flywheel seal, but behind the fan instead. No shims or o-rings here...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.