Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brights wont' stay on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Ok so I finally decided to dig in an try to figure out the problem with my lights. Basically the low beams work but the high beams, although they work, will not stay on unless I hold the turn signal indicator back.

I remove the switch and completely cleaned the contacts, I removed the relay and also completely cleaned it. It appears that the metal plate on the top of the relay is not being held down to supply power to the lights. So I replace the relay with a new one but it has a lead "labeled 30" the orginal relay does not have this lead. What should I do with the 30 lead?

Also I tried to clean all of the grounds, are there any grounds that are not obvious that need to be cleaned?

Thanks,
Dan
Joe Ricard
When mine did that I pulled the cover off the original relay and cleaned it up inside.
Worked great. Seems it had a dirty contact.
solex
I cleaned-up my relay but did not have such luck. I have another relay on order hopefully this will correct the problem.
Thanks,
Dan
Cap'n Krusty
The replacement relay needs a jumper between the 2 "30" terminals, IIRC. The Cap'n
solex
Cap'n the relay has only one 30 lead. It has the following leads:
S
56a
56b

The original did not have the 30. I have another relay coming that only has 4 leads hopefully this will solve my problem.

Thanks,
dan
markb
QUOTE (solex @ Dec 5 2005, 10:29 AM)

The original did not have the 30. I have another relay coming that only has 4 leads hopefully this will solve my problem.

Thanks,
dan

Sounds like you got the wrong relay. The new one, with the proper connections, should solve the problem.
wilchek
if you can't find the relay take the old one to the part store. They can match it up in a book if they have half a clue. You would be surprised how many cars use the same relay.

good luck
ewdysar
I had the same problem earlier this year. The original style relay is NLA and has been for a while. The new relay with the extra tab is the official replacement. A jumper needs to be added to make the new relay work but I forget where it connects. I got my answer on this board.

"the truth is out there"

Eric

edit: It's a thread titled "Headlight issue" from Jan 6 2005. I don't know how to do a link straight to the thread, I found it using the search...

PS. the short answer is: Jump tab 30 to tab 56.
markb
QUOTE (wilchek @ Dec 5 2005, 03:19 PM)
if they have half a clue

chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.