Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT hood pins - where can I get some?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
I just got the carbon fibre GT front and rear lids from Neo 914 and I am very pleased! The look beautiful over 90% of the surface, and need lots of help on the other 10%. I'm not too worried because I've fixed plenty of fibreglass and epoxy surboards, and the delam and holes in these lids will be a very similar exercise.

BUT, rather than patch the holes someone (maybe it was you!) drilled in the front lid I might actually put in the hood pins. The idea I guess was to go for the 914 GT look with the pins in the hood. After doing the famous Search on 914 Garage, I can't seem to locate a source, or even a decent picture, of the 914 GT front hood pins. Acutally, there is another 914 GT web page, Armando's (spelling?), that shows the backing plates and some hardware, but not the top view of the finished look.

Anybody know a good source for nice looking pins to fill the approx. 1/2 inch dia. holes (4) in the front of this hood? Any pictures of finished options would be awesome too!

cool.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
r_towle
summit racing.

Rich
Series9
I drilled the holes. unsure.gif

They were purchased for the RS, but didn't meet my standards.
Series9
Here are your decks when they arrived here:
Series9
last:
Chris Pincetich
Thanks for the pics....

It looks like the front lid is way too short up front?? Hopefully what I am seeing is a lack of a trim piece or something because that gap up front is huge. As with any 914 project, maybe this hood project will be more involved that I planned! dry.gif

So the holes in the front, are they for the pins? The holes are soooo big I wanted to check on what you actually had in mind to fill them with. Good chance this front hood may get a fibreglass hole fill (x4), edges sealed, then painted to match the body. Hopefully I can fill the holes with some chrome pins or plugs...

Thanks in advance for any info or advice. beerchug.gif
Chris Pincetich
914RS - woops I meant to PM you but it turned into a post. PM me back or post, no big deal.

wacko.gif
Eric_Shea
With all the glass front hoods you'll need to cut and reweld the front bulkhead. I think it's 46mm or something like that.

They didn't tell you?

(or it could be that the hood is proped up a bit in the picture) laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
Now for the real answer.

I got pins at Pegasus. You'll probably have to fabricate the plates out of sheet aluminum. Let me know if you need some templates.

E.
TJB/914
Chris NPDrider.

Just a suggestion about hood pins. Have you considered hood pins from the 67 Shelby & 69 FORD Mustang. They sure look identical.

Do a google search under "National Parts Depot" (Mustang) and check under body parts/sheet metal. Find the Hood pin Kit @ about $50 to $65 bucks. I believe they will work if not available from Porsche.

Tom
Jeroen
the hood pins are available from any race parts supplier/shop
should cost you about $15 to $20 a pair
SirAndy
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Dec 5 2005, 01:37 PM)
(or it could be that the hood is proped up a bit in the picture) laugh.gif

agree.gif biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
I should get the car back from the mechanic this weekend and can have a go at a test fit - I'll have my fingers crossed rolleyes.gif

This forum rocks! I was hoping to see GT pics by the end of the day and allready there are 2 new strings full of them! I have to admit the GT pin set-up seems a little too much for a street-car daily driver like I will have. Besides, without flares I am far from anything close to a GT....

I've got 3 good pics of the car so far... with the eminent return to my garage fast approaching I hope to snap off a few more pics, upload them, and finally get the whole pictorial to bore everyone with. rocking nana.gif

Thanks for all the info on pins - FYI Auto Atlanta seems to have a very authentic looking huh.gif set for sale, but they haven't emailed me back with details.

beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
You mentioned in another post that you were looking at the hood pin locations shots...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
Eric_Shea
more...
drew365
Mine don't look too different from the others which is surprising since I didn't have any pics to go by. I made the scratch plates out of stock aluminum and added the lanyards so I don't lose the pins at the track.
drew365
Closer;
drew365
Closest;
Eric_Shea
this might help... got it from somebody here I think? confused24.gif
Series9
My scuff plates look just like all the pics above.

Here are my pins:
Series9
and:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.