Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace Ball Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am redoing some of the bushings on my front end and was wondering if I should do the ball joints while I have the car up? How can you tell if they are bad? Do they go bad (30 yr old car)?? What would you do?
Mueller
for piece of mind I'd replace them......cheaper and easier to do it now while your there smash.gif
914werke
Easier?
confused24.gif chair.gif headbang.gif blink.gif mad.gif wacko.gif smash.gif

that will depend!
jdogg
Warning *shameless plug*

If I were you, I'd just make this guy an offer and replace those things : http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...ST&f=18&t=42120

cool_shades.gif cool_shades.gif
michelko
QUOTE (vesnyder @ Dec 5 2005, 02:21 PM)
I am redoing some of the bushings on my front end and was wondering if I should do the ball joints while I have the car up? How can you tell if they are bad? Do they go bad (30 yr old car)?? What would you do?

Hi,
i would change them. But be aware, they might come of very difficult

Look here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...2&t=40725&st=20

I had to grind the big nuts to get them open.

smilie_flagge6.gif
tat2dphreak
I haven't replaced my 914 ball joints yet, but most car it's a pain... but it's a pain that's worth EVERY second... if you've never had a ball joint break going down the road... I'll save you the time... you don't want it to happen!!!!
Spoke
You can check the ball joints by lifting a wheel and grabbing the wheel side-to-side then top-to-bottom and wiggling the wheel back and forth. You shouldn't feel any clunking (meaning that a ball joint or tie rod end is moving back and forth in its housing). You should just feel the movement in the steering and suspension. You need to keep in mind that the wheel bearings may have some play in them.

Its really hard to tell if the joints are good when the car is apart. Since you're having so much fun with the front end, perhaps you should have an extra $100 of fun and invest in the new ball joints. Do you know if the ball joints are original or have been changed. There's always the chance that they are relatively new.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.