Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spanish 914-6 GT Yellow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Quilmes
I just got back from my trip to Argentina (4wks) and I found this old 1998 mag at a new stand with a Yellow 914-6 GT on the cover, so I had to pick it up for my 914 club members.
It says that it is the original 914-6 GT that the Porsche sold to Fernandez brothers. It raced in various events and even the Monte Carlo. It seems to have been restored, it also has dual driver side windshield washers, I guess to better clean the dirt and snow.
I had heard that this 914 GT had been wrecked in Spain, if you look at the inside photos you will notice that the ignition is on the steering colum, as far as I know the only 914-6’s that had the starter key on the colum are from 1972.

In all this car looks neat and it adds one more GT if real to our list of 914’s.

I will added the photos as fast as I can, also don’t shoot me for the bad stitching Thanks

Quilmes smilie_pokal.gif
Quilmes
Mas
Quilmes
more
Quilmes
more
Quilmes
Spanish GT front trunk
Quilmes
Spanish GT inside view
Quilmes
Spanish GT rear trunk
Quilmes
Spanish GT top view
Quilmes
Front water nozzel
Quilmes
Spanish GT dash
VaccaRabite
Man, I really dig the gas cap though the front trunk hood. Is there a kit to make the reguular cars like that? I guess it would be a rain trap... sad.gif

Zach
Chris Pincetich
clap.gif

I was just jonesing for some nice pictures of the GT hood with the proper pins - and presto!!!

Nice lookin car! Time to get out the old spanish text book and try to read that article....
wink.gif

Great find beerchug.gif
Mueller
thanks for taking the time to scan and post !!!!!!!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Quilmes @ Dec 5 2005, 04:21 PM)
Front water nozzel

ignition kill switch....
scotty b
Did all of the GT's use the 911 gauge?? Never new that blink.gif
Quilmes
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 5 2005, 04:27 PM)
Front water nozzel

ignition kill switch....

Next to the Kill switch you will see two driver side water nozzels.
If you also look at the top view of this 914 you will see a three(3) water nozzels.

I have never seen a 914 with three nozzels.

Quilmes
jimtab
QUOTE (Quilmes @ Dec 5 2005, 05:03 PM)
Front water nozzel

ignition kill switch....

If you also look at the top view of this 914 you will see a three(3) water nozzels.

Quilmes

That's kinda cool, wouldn't be hard to do...drill one more hole and a tee and another nozzle.....cheap for unique.....
michel richard
250 km speedo. cool.
smg914
Any chance the VIN number is shown somewhere in the article??????
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Quilmes @ Dec 5 2005, 06:03 PM)
Front water nozzel

ignition kill switch....

Quilmes

totally over looked the third nozzle My bad owned.gif

thanks for settin me straight!
Eric_Shea
Man, I really dig the gas cap though the front trunk hood. Is there a kit to make the reguular cars like that? I guess it would be a rain trap...

Martin Baker can set you up.

North_Bay_914 here or martinqbaker@sbcglobal.net

I love mine...
Gustl
QUOTE (smg914 @ Dec 6 2005, 03:32 AM)
Any chance the VIN number is shown somewhere in the article??????

914.0.43.1569 - the ex Tergal Monte Carlo GT

owner is the president of the spanish Porsche Club

user posted image

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
QUOTE (Gustl @ Dec 5 2005, 10:02 PM)
914.0.43.1569 - the ex Tergal Monte Carlo GT

Interesting then, since 9140431569 is a 1970 914/6, and this car appears to either be a 914/4 or a 1972 914/6. Probably two different cars. The conversion to a GT is substantial with the GT 100 L tank. It would be nice to track it down and get more details.
Gustl
AFAIK here are some guys who know spanish - I don't understand a single word (well, I know serveca laugh.gif )

this GT is owned by the president of the spanish Porsche Club

here's the homepage: http://www.clubporsche.es/

maybe anybody could ask for more details confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
JmuRiz
Anyone else notice the black headlight surrounds? idea.gif
rhodyguy
i wonder what the button to the right of the cig lighter is for?

k
Quilmes
QUOTE (Gustl @ Dec 6 2005, 06:16 AM)
AFAIK here are some guys who know spanish - I don't understand a single word (well, I know serveca laugh.gif )

this GT is owned by the president of the spanish Porsche Club

here's the homepage: http://www.clubporsche.es/

maybe anybody could ask for more details confused24.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

Hey Gustl, biggrin.gif thanks for the info, I went on there web site and I could not find anything on his 914. I will e-mail the club and see if they might help us.

As I mentioned before I heard that this Yellow 914-6 had been in a wreck and possible thats why it has some 914-4 stuff on it. like the key on the colum.

There is also another article from a magazine Motor Clasico that shows the Kramer brother racing a red narrow body 914-6 in a vintaged rally and they came over all second. When I can I will scan this one too.

I guess that there are Kramers brothers in Spain also driving 914-6.

Thanks
Quilmes
Spoke
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Dec 6 2005, 10:52 AM)
Anyone else notice the black headlight surrounds? idea.gif

What color should the headlight surrounds be? I painted mine black but I thought I saw a pic in an old magazine with black surrounds.

Spoke
michel richard
QUOTE (Spoke @ Dec 6 2005, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Dec 6 2005, 10:52 AM)
Anyone else notice the black headlight surrounds?  :idea:

What color should the headlight surrounds be? I painted mine black but I thought I saw a pic in an old magazine with black surrounds.

Spoke

early surrounds are white, actually off-white . . . I had noticed.
ajserrano
As I mentioned before I heard that this Yellow 914-6 had been in a wreck and possible thats why it has some 914-4 stuff on it. like the key on the colum.

Thanks

Quilmes

Hello Quilmes! Most if not all 1972 Porsche 914-6 cars were NOT finished at the Porsche factory as did the 1970-1971 year 914-6 model cars. This is why you'll find the 914-4 steering colunms, 914-4 levers, 914-4 relay board and 914-4 engine wiring harness (with an adapter) as well as the dead-give-away "ignition key-switch mounted on the steering column" as can be seen in this Yellow 1972 914-6 car.

Another possible interesting difference to verify about these 1972 cars; I know someone with a 1972 Porsche 914-6 and will ask him to check the motor mount and firewall to see if those 1972 Porche 914-6 cars left the assembly line with the correct early (70-71) 914-6 motor-mount bracket or a "914-4 to 914-6" engine adapter bracket installed... <!-- emo&<_< -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->

It is my understanding that the 1972 produced Porsche 914-6 cars were built at the VW plant and are slightly "water-down" versions of the 1970-71 "Porsche" factory 914-6 built cars (and I'm not talking about the chassis). Unfortunately, most of us that are not familiar with the above details will often confuse and mistakenly identify these 72' model 914-6s (not many!) with the more common '914-4 to 914-6 street conversions'...

Armando <!-- emo&:blink: -->IPB Image<!-- endemo -->
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt
Porsche Rescue
Is the 9140xxxxxx VIN listed above incorrect? If a 72 it should be 9142xxxxxx.
davep
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 6 2005, 12:08 PM)

Well, yes it would be correct. There was only 260 914/6 in 1972 and this is far beyond that.
Porsche Rescue
Then I am confused. Do all agree that it is a conversion and not a true GT?
Quilmes
QUOTE (davep @ Dec 6 2005, 01:13 PM)
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 6 2005, 12:08 PM)

Well, yes it would be correct. There was only 260 914/6 in 1972 and this is far beyond that.

I dont' know if this will answer your numbers questions but here it goes.

All 914-6 had the vin numbers from 1970 till 1972 reflect the year they where made.
example:
1970 914-6 would read 9140431111
1971 would be 9141431111
and of course a 914-6 from 1972 9142430260 the last number on the 914-6 list.
The number that changes is the one after the 914 indicatin what year the car is from .

Quilmes
davep
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Dec 6 2005, 02:18 PM)
Then I am confused. Do all agree that it is a conversion and not a true GT?

Not at all. It could easily be a 1972 914/6 but we don't know the VIN. We know a lot of 72 model 914/6 had flared fenders. First we need to establish that it is an original 914/6. Too little is known yet.
ajserrano
I know of no factory built 914-6 GT race cars in 1972 so I can confortably say the Porsche factory did not have anything to do with it. Maybe a "Porsche authorized dealer" ordered the necessary "GT" parts (100 liter tank, etc.) and that could probably be verified...

Armando

Gustl
someone mentioned before that the original Tergal GT was wrecked
so it could be possible, that this yellow car has some parts of the Tergal GT, including the VIN ?

I contacted the guy who told me that the VIN of the yellow car is 914.0.43.1569 and asked him about the not matching things - I'm curious about his answer ...

wavey.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE (ajserrano @ Dec 6 2005, 03:33 PM)
I know of no factory built 914-6 GT race cars in 1972 so I can confortably say the Porsche factory did not have anything to do with it. Maybe a "Porsche authorized dealer" ordered the necessary "GT" parts (100 liter tank, etc.) and that could probably be verified...

agree.gif last factory GT i know of was "914 143 0141", internal project number "914/58" ...

however, the later column *could* be a replacement if the car was wrecked at one point.
one would have to know the VIN for sure ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 06:48 AM)
one would have to know the VIN for sure ...

well, I've got the VIN info from a really truthworthy guy
he's a long term member of the Porsche 914-6 Club in Germany and a kind of "master of historic research" wink.gif

as I told you, I asked him about the mismatch
as far as I get his answer, I'll let you know

wavey.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Dec 7 2005, 12:43 AM)
"master of historic research"

smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif

we wait impatiently
for the masters
words of wisdom

smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 08:47 AM)
we wait impatiently

just got his answer:

tell me all the mystirious parts on this yellow GT (?) you can find, and he will ask the owner directly about them
due to the fact, that he's in Germany and the owner of this car is in spain, he'd like to check this out at once, so find as much as possible

1.) "wrong" ignition
2.) black headlight surroundings

what else?

wavey.gif Gustl
michel richard
engine mount ?
i.e. are the /4 engine mount present, and how is the /6 engine mounted to the frame

The thing about the steering column, in my mind, is that going from the /6 column to the normal /4 column would entail a number of changes: it would mean changing the steel support structure that is welded to the frame, changing the wiper motor (or at least changing the wiring) changing the windshield washer mechanism to an air-activated one (or at least changing the wiring) changing a lot of the wiring for the ignition, the turn signals, the high beam switch etc . . .
For all those reasons, I suspect that if this car has the /4 steering column, it left the factory with it.
davep
The obvious things for me would be the VIN, chassis #, and paint code from all the usual locations. The location of the chassis # from the rear trunk is also important; center or right hand side. The number on the underside of the dash would also help. If the chassis # is on the Karmann badge, does it match the trunk floor. Does the VIN match in all locations.

Does the passenger seat have fixed or adjustable position?
Is the dash early or late type?
Is the bracket for the booster fan in the engine compartment present?
smg914
This car looks like it has the late style striker plate for the door latch.
The steering wheel looks like it might be a '74 imitation leather wheel.
I notice it doesn't have the undercoating on the upper front shock mounts.
The passenger side threshold rail looks like it might be black plastic instead of aluminum. This would nicely match the black headlight surrounds.

Another thing to check would be to see if the jack mounts are located on the drivers side rear of the trunk instead on the forward wall of the trunk.
SirAndy
QUOTE (smg914 @ Dec 7 2005, 08:58 AM)
I notice it doesn't have the undercoating on the upper front shock mounts.

those were certainly repainted when they added the 100L tank and welded on the tabs for the strut-brace ...
Gustl
Andy, I'm afraid I need your help wacko.gif

could you give me an essential summary of the questions/problems concerning the yellow car - in german idea.gif

my english knowledge seems to be not enaugh...

unsure.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Dec 7 2005, 12:28 PM)
Andy, I'm afraid I need your help wacko.gif

ok, give me an hour or so, i'm having a biz-meeting in 5 minutes ....

rolleyes.gif Andy
Gustl
well, you get at least 8 hours ... I'm going to bed now yawn.gif

laugh.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Dec 7 2005, 02:02 PM) *

well, you get at least 8 hours ... I'm going to bed now yawn.gif

Gustl, wake up! ... It's been 3 years ...

poke.gif Andy
championgt1
av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.