Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with seatbelt options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I am working on my 1970 914-6 conversion. (Actually started some tear-down today as I play the "find the rust" game).

So, converting to later 914 retractable seat belts is a no-go I am told. (?) Requires way too much modification?

What 4 or 5-point harness options do I have? Got pics? How was the install? How does it "look"?

Car is intended to be street/show.
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Aug 20 2003, 08:41 PM)
So, converting to later 914 retractable seat belts is a no-go I am told. (?) Requires way too much modification?

yepp, late style retracteables would require cutting out and rewelding the recess and mounts on the back firewall from a late model car. not an option IMHO.

get a good 5 point harness and you'll be happy.
if that is not street-legal where you are, you can still keep the stock
belt for driving on public roads ...

Andy
EdwardBlume
I use a 5 point that I drilled holes for through the firewall. You might consider a harness bar (if it works) to avoid drilling holes.
Red-Beard
One of the aftermarket companies makes a retractable that you can use on the Early car. I've forgotten which one. There were some post on Pelican in the past on this. I'll search around.

If you do find something, I may be interested in the original seat belt adjustment covers.

James
boxsterfan
Thanks all. Red-Beard, please let me know if you find the aftermarket retractable seat belts.

If I find a replacement solution, the originals are yours.

boxsterfan
JWest
This might be tha place Red-Beard was thinking of.

peparts
airkewl
I used the kit
KT106 SEAT BELT KIT, '70-'72 914 & 914/6, LEFT OR RIGHT
from the PEPARTS site above on my stock 70 914-6. I hated the stock ones because they were so restrictive. The retractable ones were a true bolt in, and they work great.

Tony
airkewl
I should have added that the retractor mechanism is all enclosed in the unit which bolts up at the top bolt in the B pillar (behind your head). Pretty tidy.
Tony
seanery
got pics?
GaroldShaffer
Tony,

I don't care for the belts in my 70. I like the idea of
these belts. How long did it take you to install the
new belts?

-Garold
MarkV
I bought some new retractors from Peparts & they quit working just like the originals. They worked great for a couple of years and then the retractors got lazy. It is nice to have new belt webbing though. At the time I bought mine they were also selling new receivers.
Red-Beard
Wow! Kinda pricy. $300 for both sides.

James
Mountain914
If you car is Street/Show - you should go with the aftermarket retractibles, or at most a 4 point harness.
Harnesses can be cam-lock or hook-and-latch. Either way harnesses are a bit much for everyday street driving and passengers always find it a learning experience hooking up. Most people don't even use the 5th point (between the legs) unless they are racing (which you didn't mention you would do). Also - legality questions can come into play with certain harnesses *if* someone wants to make an issue out of it.
I recommend for primarily street use go with the regular belts - retractibles being most desirable and comforatible and convenient for all.

My experience - I use a 4 point and since I'm usually the only one in my car it's not too much an issue for me. I have never been approached about legality but have read it on the forums. Mine is a hook-and-latch and I can get harnessed in in about 5 or 6 seconds, and out in 2. Cam-Locks take much less time. This all assumes no adjustements need to be made.

Either way - you are looking at modifications if you aren't doing the stock setup. I have seen a VW rabbit retractible installed into a 914 and it looked like no mods, haven't studied the other retractible solution, and know for a fact you have to add one to three more connection points if you do a 4 or 5 point harness.

But harnesses look cool !!
Joe Bob
www.peparts.com great stuff, total asshole owns it. DON'T TALK to Lucas, anyone else who answers the phone is OK.....

My 70 had a harness bar.....fabbed a mount onto that.
airkewl
Installation on the PEPARTS stuff probably toook about an hour. It is literally 4 bolts: one each at the top at the B pillar which replaces that anchor with the new retractor, and then there is a new receiver on each side which is a straight swap at the center tunnel. Piece of cake.
Tony
si2t3m
I kinda like the non retractable seatbelts in my 70 914...

I can get them real tight on me for DE's or autocrossing. I know, next step will be a harness & harnessbar.

If i could only figure out a way to install a harness bar while keeping the early backpad i'd be happy.

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.