Full Version: Chalon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Stirlingr
Soundtrack is "Victim of Changes" - Judas Priest

ar15.gif
Stirlingr
QUOTE (fiid @ Dec 12 2005, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 8 2005, 07:06 PM)
Stirling, why would you flip the R&P on a 915 to install in a 914? The reversed engine would be turning the correct direction in your car. The 901 would have to be flipped but the 915 from a 911 would be exactly the way it should be.

Ah Ha! Excellent question. You are quite right, of course, the 915 is spinning the correct way as opposed to the 901 and the 914.

I forgot what I had sitting out there on the garage floor waiting for its engine. The Crown adapter is just to mate the Covair engine to the 914 Transaxle. The transaxle is a 914/01 case, but the innards were replaced with 915 components, including the shifter. Thus, I have a 914/915 transaxle that bolts right in thanks to the fact that it is the correct case and the Crown adapter.

Ring and Pinion are not flipped. Sorry for the confusion, I had to scratch my head for a minute to figure that out. slap.gif

Say Whaaaaaaa?

915 bits in a 901 case?

huh.gif

That is what I'm told by the guy I bought it from. Apparently, it was built in (or around) '79 by a guy named Dexter in the Dallas area. Scott's comments earlier got me curious. The guy I bought it from is now looking for documentation to prove it. But I've know the guy for 20 years and have no reason to doubt his veracity. The access to the gear panels to the gearbox has 911 numbers all over it and the shifter is absolutely a 911 shift set up. I'm having to engineer the engine mount to pass the 911 shift linkage. I suppose I'll withhold judgement until I get the documentation, but that is what I have to go on.

--Stirling
fiid
If you're going to do a lot of grinding fiberglass you might want to consider getting a tyvek suit or something - people tell lots of stories of picking bits of glass strand out of their skin and the like.

Stirlingr
Front end mocked up.

beer.gif
Stirlingr
I got the front end mocked up pretty easily (in comparison), the rear is giving me considerablt more trouble. There are lots of alignment points. Good think Harbor Freight is nereby with an assortment of inexpensive clamps.

Does anyone have a junk left rear tail light box that theyt are willing to give up cheap for mock-up purposes? Mine is broken on the outside (critical edge) and much depends on getting it right.

headbang.gif

-Stirling
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.