Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chalon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Stirlingr
I am installing a Chalon kit on my '72 914. I have some questions that are inadequately addressed in the kit literature. Does anyone have experience putting the fenders on? I have cut the metal and prepped the surfaces. I need to know how much of the chalon fiberglass channel to remove before mounting.

Thnx
JB 914
"Skline please pick up the white courtesy phone for an important message"

You wanna get in touch with club member Scott Kline aka skline. I'll PM him and let him know to reply.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PEOPLE OF SHALOM

Skline is the Guru of the Shalom.....aka Chalon in english.

Scott has been the Guru around hear since SLITS was ousted in a bloody coup two years ago. SLITS has been in exile somewhere in the TORA BORA region of Big Bear lake recruiting some of the local elves to try and retake the Shalom region of Costa Mesa.

Developing.........
Carlitos Way
I'ma gettin' some pop corn for this one!
JB 914
popcorn[1].gif Yack.gif popcorn[1].gif w00t.gif
SLITS
The Revolution is here....hey Strlinger might have one that can actually be driven without something falling off or breaking.................what a concept!

My elves are a match anyday for those burley longshoremen....watch your crotch and knees Scott

SirAndy
why on earth would you want to make an ugly VW even uglier??? icon8.gif

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Stirlingr
I think it can be done nicely, as with any project where pride, professionalism, and attention to detail are the watchwords. Besides, this car had sat in a garage in North Texas, accumulating no rust for almost 25 years. By the time I got it, it already had its fenders removed. confused24.gif I got the Chalon kit off a guy in South Texas who never got around to doing anything with it and thereyougo...

Besides when my 6-cyl engine gets back from the machine shop and is mated to my race built 911 tansaxle w/ 912 half-shafts, it sure can't be sporting the oh-so-stylish OEM body. beerchug.gif
MecGen
Andy be nice... chair.gif

Chalon kits were, and are still, some of the nicest body kits around smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome to the board and get a digital camera !

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Later

beer.gif
drew365
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 06:25 PM)

popcorn[1].gif Andy

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Stirlingr
I've got tons of pics, how the f- do you attach them?
Brando
Lowered drag coefficient, right? Really helps out around 100+mph maybe wink.gif

I may go slant front and widen the rear.
Howard
By the way, Stirlingr, welcome to the 914club smilie_pokal.gif
We are not all assholes here, well I am, but that's not important.
I think our notable Chalons were purchased with the body already done by the previous owner. Someone will pipe up sooner or later.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 7 2005, 05:44 PM)
I got the Chalon kit off a guy in South Texas who never got around to doing anything with it and thereyougo...

And their Yugo? What Yugo .....................? The Cap'n
Stirlingr
Gracias! I know somebody has done this before smash.gif . Measure twice, cut once.
Stirlingr
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 7 2005, 06:07 PM)

[/QUOTE]
And their Yugo? What Yugo .....................? The Cap'n

beer.gif Its a Texas thang, read faster. Cheers.
Engman
You wanna get in touch with club member Scott Kline aka skline. I'll PM him and let him know to reply.

Scott has been the Guru around hear since SLITS was ousted in a bloody coup two years ago. SLITS has been in exile somewhere in the TORA BORA region of Big Bear lake recruiting some of the local elves to try and retake the Shalom region of Costa Mesa.

Developing.........

But Scotts strategic alliance with the mighty Aaron has them ploting somewhere in the Corona region of Riverside. They actually plan to capture some reported 914 exiles and Shalom them before searching for the almighty Slits.

Scott Kline is your man - I am sure he will chime in as his plan is to Chalon the world.

M

Stirlingr
Excellent... I will drive the thing to Cali if it ever gets done. Looks like most of y'all are out there. driving.gif
neo914-6
smilie_pokal.gif , Chalon!

Did mine 20+ years ago so don't remember much after the expoxy... screwy.gif

Test fit, use ample bonding agent, and make sure you take care of ALL the rust before you install the fenders...
Stirlingr
Good advice. I'd like to, but I don't know how much to cut off the Chalon fender for mounting. Do you cut off the whole channel, just the bottom...? If someone will tell me how to attach pictures, I'll show what I'm talking about. beer3.gif
skline
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 7 2005, 05:25 PM)

popcorn[1].gif Andy

SirAndy, do you mean by cutting the fenders and putting on goofy looking bowls where the stock fenders were? I cant imagine why someone would want to do that.

Andrew, I see you got your car painted. It looks cool. Now I can proceed to paint mine white and not worry about people mistaking it for yours. Mine would be the one in front at the track anyway. smile.gif

Dont listen to what these guys say about the Chalon, everyone has their own idea of the car they want and mine was the Chalon. I wanted one from the first time I saw one back in the 80's.

I replied to your email, I will answer any questions you may have about the installation of the kit and mods you can do to make it more unique.

Howard, Slits and many of us really are Assholes, it's why we are here, birds of a feather Flock together.
SirAndy
QUOTE (drew365 @ Dec 7 2005, 06:49 PM)
Hey, I resemble that remark!

don't get me wrong, i *love* they way your car drives on the track! smilie_pokal.gif
that was a blast (even with the broken tranny mainshaft ohmy.gif )

plus, you don't really have to look at the front end while you're driving! laugh.gif

sorry guys, i don't like them shalom kits.
obviously, it's your car so do what *you* like ...

i know how it feels. a lot of guys hate the 916 look ...

it's all good ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Stirlingr
Working on an email reply, Scott.
skline
Got the reply Stirling, Here are the pictures of his car.

skline
fsdf
skline
vsdg
skline
fgbdf
skline
smilie_pokal.gif
Stirlingr
Please note that the first 2 pics are separated from the last 3 by a couple of years. Much cleaning and fixing has been done. Particularly, the power plant.
watsonrx13
Looking forward to this project....

BTW, you are now required to either use this post or start another post for the complete photo-documentary of the installation of the Chalon kit. Which means that any time you cut, grind, bolt, attach, paint whatever, you must stop and take a before, during and after picture.... This will add considerable time to your project but this is a requirement for all noobies..... biggrin.gif

Good luck and keep the pics coming...

Oh and welcome again to the non-914club....

-- Rob
BIGKAT_83
Looks like a nice tub... a 140 hp corvair engine on top of it WOW. Has it been driven yet with the corvair engine?

biggrin.gif Bob
skline
Hey Stirling, I also noticed something looking at your pictures, you do not have the same Chalon kit as I got from Mitcom, your front fenders go over the lip and into the channel, mine did not, they were cut and designed to go under the lip that you have cut on the fender. You cut looks right but the fenders should match that cut where it flares out on the very front. You rear fenders look a little different also, mine were cut off before the tail light area and did not extend all the way to the tip. My kit is from Mitcom direct about 4 years ago, maybe 5, time goes by so fast. I have a clean instruction book I can make copies of and send them to you in an email. It might take a day or so as I have a lot to do work wise the next few days. If you want it, let me know. It is pretty detailed.
Dead Air
QUOTE (PKRMONY @ Dec 7 2005, 04:44 PM)
"Skline please pick up the white courtesy phone for an important message"

Developing.........

[QUOTE]

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Dead Air
Did you do the engine work or did it come that way?
reverse cam or flipped pinion gear?
Any trouble mating to the transmission?
IMHO, I really like the idea of building a "six" that way!!
beerchug.gif
reedhmb
Although I have a different body kit, it looks like the installation is similar. Let me start by saying I didn’t know what the hell I was doing. I tried to follow the attached instructions from better bodies but I couldn’t get the pieces to line up properly. I ended up completely removing the front fenders and the rear quarter panels. I cut them off leaving a vertical lip. I then hung the fenders on the lip. I grinded down the metal lip to adjust the height, so that the fenders and trunk would be at the same height. Problem is that when you hang the fenders they interfere with the trunks. So I had to grind down the edges of the hoods so that they wouldn’t rub. I then attached pieces on aluminum "angle iron" between the top/inside of the fenders and the body. Securred with adhesive.

One piece of advice; hang, install, tack (whatever you want to call it) all the pieces front and rear before applying any adhesive. One piece can effect the other. Also I glassed in all my seams. While I think it looks nicer that way. I wouldn’t recommend it as I’m beginning to see cracks in the added glass.

Mark
thomasotten
I used to drool over the original Chalon kit as a youngling, when they first came out in VW & Porsche magazine. Lately, I have embraced orthodoxy, so I could never do it to my car. But I still like the kit - just make sure and put those wide rear tires on it so it looks right. Everyone skimps on the details with this kit it seems...

BTW, the new assistant choir director at our Church is named "Chalon". I told her there was a body kit for a Porsche that was named Chalon. She then told me that she could use a body kit! biggrin.gif I said nothing.
Stirlingr
Wow, a few hours of sleep and the good stuff comes flying in. Pictures do make the difference, huh. Thanks skline for posting the pics since as a newbie, I couldn't do it last night.

Skline: I'd love a copy of your newer instructions, mine are somewheere between almost useful and pathetic. I'm tempted to scan them into a pdf and send them around for shits and giggles.

Yes it did run with the Corvair engine and it went like stink, but I wanted a little more than the stock eosoteric 40 yr old power plant. It is getting a hotter cam, bored to .40 over, stroker rods, modern lightweight pistons/rings, bigger valves with tflon stem seals, balanced, custom fit pushrods, and a bunch of little clever knick knacks that improve the technology. It should be light and fast. Looking for a power to weight ratio similiar to a 911SC (with much better balance, of course). Oh, and a 600cfm Holley 4-barrel through a spider manifold.

The break and suspension upgrades are to compensate for this deeper breathing engine.

Yeah, the corvair engine spins the wrong way. Flipped pinion was the easiest solution. No problem mating the transmission or relocating the starter since I have a nice kit from Crown Mfg. in Costa Mesa.

Reedhmb: Thanks for the experience. Kinda sounds like what I'm trying to avoid. I get the impression that the channels on mine are supposed to be completely removed to fit the fender, so as to avoid the deck alignment problems.

I really want to confirm this assumption before I cut b/c it is challenging to add material once it has been cut too far, while the converse is not true.

With this kind of great response, I will keep posting my progress and looking for help and comraderie. 914s are far and few btwn out here (except at SCCA events) since this is a beach town, I guess.

aktion035.gif
SLITS
If that had been a Zambezi Green car he cut up I would have had a serious problem mad.gif My Elves had assembled for the onslaught, with weapons of singular destruction at the ready, but, it looks like the normal puke green so they disarmed and went back into the forest. biggrin.gif

They're all calmed down now after a touch of Big Bear Buds smoke.gif
Stirlingr
I thought it was Zambezi Green to begin with, until I checked the code. The paint was so faded. It turns out it is Willow Green (car built in Jan 72, 8th off the line in 72). It came to me with no fenders, looking for a happy home, which she has gotten. The Willow Green is starting to grow on me, though I had originally though of painting it gun metal grey metallic and calling it the "Ghost", or haze grey and getting a plate that says "UNDRWY", or india red (isn't that what a Porsche should be, after all?). I've never seen a fresh Willow Green before, but restoring the original color with modern paint might be kinda cool. rocking nana.gif
SLITS
They're all cool....was trying to play along with Joe Buckle (PKRMNY)....he's really lonely since Scott got a real job and went back to work.....we all humor him so he don't flip out. wacko.gif
maf914
A green shalom seems like a natural. Makes me think of a kosher pickle! laugh.gif
Howard
Hey Scott, his looks better than yours already! rolleyes.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 8 2005, 08:12 AM)
Oh, and a 600cfm Holley 4-barrel through a spider manifold.

for about $500 or less you can join the modern world and install programmable fuel injection smile.gif smash.gif

Stirlingr
500 here, 500 there, pretty soon your definetly into making a silk purse out of a hog's ear.

There is a local guy who does nothing but rebuild Holleys (Jr.'s Holley Shop), he's been doing it forever, he's as old as dirt. When I was debating about which carb vis-a-vis injection and doing the cfm calculations (355 cfm in this case), I went to talk to him. He promises to build a 600 cfm 4-barrel (no choke w/ a vacuum secondary) and set it up for my engine. He has several bench engines he will do the initial setup on and then do the final setup on my running engine. He will do this for $175. That is money saved that can go directly into the fuel delivery and ignition systems. For $500 I'll get the carb, fuel cell, new lines, fuel pump, and regulator with enough left over to cover some of the costs of the Second Strike ignition system.

welder.gif
--Stirling
andys
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 7 2005, 04:15 PM)
I am installing a Chalon kit on my '72 914. I have some questions that are inadequately addressed in the kit literature. Does anyone have experience putting the fenders on? I have cut the metal and prepped the surfaces. I need to know how much of the chalon fiberglass channel to remove before mounting.

Thnx

Stirlingr,

Sorry to chime in so late. Call these guys. They claim to own all the MITCOM molds, and perhaps can give you some insight. BTW, there were two Chalon versions offered, hence some differences. I have an original MITCOM catalog at home.

Fiberglass Trends
714-532-6140

Andys
skline
Stirling, why would you flip the R&P on a 915 to install in a 914? The reversed engine would be turning the correct direction in your car. The 901 would have to be flipped but the 915 from a 911 would be exactly the way it should be.

I will scan the directions I have and post them with a link for you to view.

Mitcoms new company name is Fiberglass Trends at 1340 W. Collins Ave. Orange CA. 92667 714-532-6140 Ask for Matt
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 8 2005, 04:10 PM)
Stirling, why would you flip the R&P on a 915 to install in a 914? The reversed engine would be turning the correct direction in your car. The 901 would have to be flipped but the 915 from a 911 would be exactly the way it should be.

I will scan the directions I have and post them with a link for you to view.

Mitcoms new company name is Fiberglass Trends at 1340 W. Collins Ave. Orange CA. 92667 714-532-6140 Ask for Matt

maybe its not made to spin backwards biggrin.gif
Stirlingr

Ah Ha! Excellent question. You are quite right, of course, the 915 is spinning the correct way as opposed to the 901 and the 914.

I forgot what I had sitting out there on the garage floor waiting for its engine. The Crown adapter is just to mate the Covair engine to the 914 Transaxle. The transaxle is a 914/01 case, but the innards were replaced with 915 components, including the shifter. Thus, I have a 914/915 transaxle that bolts right in thanks to the fact that it is the correct case and the Crown adapter.

Ring and Pinion are not flipped. Sorry for the confusion, I had to scratch my head for a minute to figure that out. slap.gif
Stirlingr
All right y'all. I'm going out to the garage with a skill saw and a grinder. These fenders are getting cut tonight. I see no reason why I can't have these things mocked up before the end of the week and pop riveted on. Any last minute advice/warnings/alerts/clarifications before I start hacking...nows the time. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
sawzall-smiley.gif

---Stirling
SLITS
smoke.gif popcorn[1].gif smoke.gif smoke.gif popcorn[1].gif
fiid
QUOTE (Stirlingr @ Dec 8 2005, 07:06 PM)

Ah Ha! Excellent question. You are quite right, of course, the 915 is spinning the correct way as opposed to the 901 and the 914.

I forgot what I had sitting out there on the garage floor waiting for its engine. The Crown adapter is just to mate the Covair engine to the 914 Transaxle. The transaxle is a 914/01 case, but the innards were replaced with 915 components, including the shifter. Thus, I have a 914/915 transaxle that bolts right in thanks to the fact that it is the correct case and the Crown adapter.

Ring and Pinion are not flipped. Sorry for the confusion, I had to scratch my head for a minute to figure that out. slap.gif

Say Whaaaaaaa?

915 bits in a 901 case?

huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.