914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
oh shit...

thats *NEVER* good.

i'd say a piston and something else did a freaky mating ritual in your engine

ohmy.gif

b

edit: okay. allan is probly right..i can see.
Allan
You pulled your mufflet off and that fell out?

Could just be pieces of the exhaust gasket...
brp914
could be a former valve seat. stop messin' around with those exchangers and pop off the valve covers. I'm guessing theres a lotta play on one of those rocker arms.
Nor.Cal.914
My dad guessed one of my valves made contact with the top of one of my pistons and caused it to sheer off and send it's pieces out my exhaust. I pulled off the passenger side's valve cover and everything looked ok. But I'm going to go see if everything is nice and tight. When I replaced my plugs about 2 weeks ago, one plug was wet on the passenger side . . . have to check which cylinder. I'm hoping these pieces are just a broken valve and only that. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time taking apart the motor now to get down to the heads. I have to pull my carb off, intake, take apart the linkage, then pull the tin off the top of that side. So wish me luck! I'll get back on how everything feels as far as the rocker arms. Thanks
-Chris
McMark
Looks like a valve seat to me. sad.gif

If a valve broke off and the spring retainer remained in place, it's possible that everything you'll see under the valve covers will look okay. But if you do a compression test I think you'll find a zero compression on one cylinder.
Dave_Darling
You'll also hear it as a "dead spot" in the starter sound. "RR-RR-RR-..-RR-RR-RR-.." BT,DT.... sad.gif

--DD
Nor.Cal.914
We made excellent progress today. Got everything apart, now tomorrow we're going to take the head off. Everything did look ok under the valve covers and nothing felt loose so I'm hoping it is just a valve seat and won't be too tough of a fix. I also found a bunch a gunk on top of my cylinders . . . could this be a possibility of why my car is running hot? My temp gauge goes all the way up to the red when it's only been running for 15 minutes at the most. I'll post some pics tomorrow with some daylight and show this gunk that I'm talking about. Thanks
-Chris
Brando
The temp gauge reads oil temp... Check your oil cooler on the engine when you get the motor out -- is it all gunked up?
Nor.Cal.914
Top and bottom both looked clean to me when I was under the car earlier. I took off the tin covering it and it looked fine from above as well. Thanks for telling me what the temp gauge actually did I never knew if it was engine or oil temp. Is there any other reason why the temp gauge could be going up so quickly? I'll look at the oil cooler again tomorrow to make sure it's nice and clean. Thanks
-Chris
Nor.Cal.914
Isn't the temperature sensor on top of the heads though? That's the only reason why I would question it reading oil temp. But since I'm sure you're right, any possibility you could explain how it reads oil temp? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
jim912928
The temperature gauge reads oil temp...and is plugged into a sensor on the bottom of the engine concealed in this round thing typically referred to as the taco plate (bottom of engine on the drivers side). The temp sensor you are referring to on the top of the engine is used with the fuel injection system/ecu.
McMark
Unless you have a cylinder head temp gauge. wink.gif
Nor.Cal.914
Oh! Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. biggrin.gif I'm still curious though as to any reason for the temp guage going up to pretty much as high as it can so quickly . . . Does anyone have an idea for why it does that? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
bd1308
QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 10 2005, 07:43 PM)
Isn't the temperature sensor on top of the heads though? That's the only reason why I would question it reading oil temp. But since I'm sure you're right, any possibility you could explain how it reads oil temp? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris

the oil temp one is on the bottom of the engine--left front near fan shroud....its a circular cut-out thing....

the one on top the heads is for cylinder head temperature measurement--typically to enrich the mixture of the air-fuel when the heads (and assumably the rest of the engine) is cold.

b
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 10 2005, 05:24 PM)
Everything did look ok under the valve covers and nothing felt loose so I'm hoping it is just a valve seat and won't be too tough of a fix.

Typically, valve seat problems show up as one valve that will not close. Or 0 compression on one cylinder. Did you do a compression test? Or at least listen to the sounds that it made while cranking? I would do that before tearing the engine down, myself...

My temp gauge goes all the way up to the red when it's only been running for 15 minutes at the most.

Plugged up oil cooler, at a guess. The "gunk" on top of the engine could also be on top of the cooler--and having little or no air flow through the cooler will result in high oil temps pretty quickly.

--DD
Dr. Roger

the black stuff that came out of the super trapps... can you crumble the big chunks with with your fingers or crush it easily with a hammer? kinda looks like carbon buildup to me. (eventhough i do note the piece that looks like a chunk of valve seat...) =-)

just trying to be an optimist. biggrin.gif

if you cannot crush those pieces of stuff then you really do have a project to look forward to.

best fo luck.
Nor.Cal.914
Well we got the head partially off today. Need to drop the motor to get it completely off. But it looks as though one of my valve stems broke and the valve got pushed sideways back into the valve seat. It seems those little chunks of metal that came out of the exhaust were from the valve stem or the valve itself because it was really chewed up. Hopefully we can get the head off tomorrow and I can show everyone how bad it looks. Thanks
-Chris
Nor.Cal.914
I also wanted to ask . . . is it possible for a tach to be off? It seems like that is what's going on with mine. When I'm revving to "4000 rpm" it seems like I actually am hitting 5800 rpm like I should be. I hit around 30 mph in first gear at "4000 rpm" so I'm definetly guessing it's off. I'm going to put my old tach back in to see if it does something different. I think this had something to with my breaking a valve stem and all that mad.gif Hopefully my stock tach reads differently . . . Thanks
-Chris
michelko
QUOTE (NeunXIV @ Dec 11 2005, 09:55 PM)
I also wanted to ask . . . is it possible for a tach to be off? It seems like that is what's going on with mine. When I'm revving to "4000 rpm" it seems like I actually am hitting 5800 rpm like I should be. I hit around 30 mph in first gear at "4000 rpm" so I'm definetly guessing it's off. I'm going to put my old tach back in to see if it does something different. I think this had something to with my breaking a valve stem and all that mad.gif Hopefully my stock tach reads differently . . . Thanks
-Chris

Maybe you are using a "six-tach" on a "four-engine"?

The tach is counting sparks biggrin.gif On an four you have two sparks every revolution, on the six there are three. So a six tach shows less rpm atached to an four- engine.

smilie_flagge6.gif
McMark
Ouch, bad news. pinch.gif

I have an unknown condition 1.7 engine if it'll help you out any. PM me for details.

The tach could be failing. Most parts stores sell a fairly cheap meter that will tell you RPM. Would be worth having for double checking your tach as well as setting timing. Or borrow a spare tach from me or another closer member.
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE (michelko @ Dec 11 2005, 11:35 PM)
Maybe you are using a "six-tach" on a "four-engine"?

The tach is counting sparks biggrin.gif On an four you have two sparks every revolution, on the six there are three. So a six tach shows less rpm atached to an four- engine.

smilie_flagge6.gif

Well now that would explain everything! I probably was pushing the redline without even knowing it mad.gif Damnit so I guess nothing was wrong with this motor, until now. Shoot well I'm going to make sure to put my stock tach back in now. Thanks for filling me in on that. As far as the 1.7 Mark, I shouldn't need anything from it. I think the only thing I'm going to need now is a good condition 2.0L head. I'm not sure if I need one yet, I'll have to ask someone if the one I have can be salvaged or not. Thanks
-Chris
Nor.Cal.914
Well here's what happened sad.gif And my dad told me the top of the piston is pretty torn up as well. Haven't looked for myself yet though. Here's a couple pics of the head.
-Chris
Nor.Cal.914
Another . . .
Tom Perso
Nice Work.

This is typically what happens other than the valve seat not coming out. The stem gets streached and then it pops the head off...

That is why the 2.0L sodium filled exhaust vavles are NOT good.

Tom
Allan
If you can't find a head I'm sure it can be repaired...
Nor.Cal.914
Anyone have a 2.0L head for sale? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris
DJsRepS
Mine made alot of noise when a valve spring broke and it sucked in an intake valve. Pop the valve covers and inspect then turn it over by hand and inspect some more. Is it idleing on all 4, I asume it is a 4 banger. I dont think the ign coil has a thing to do with a knock like you describe. Good luck but my bet it is time to drop the motor for repairs.
DJsRepS
Damn I did it again Replied to the first page not reading the whole post Sorry. Wish I had a spare head for you. How is the piston and cyl??
DJsRepS
Form the looks of that head it needed to come off anyway. Alot of blo by. Seat the cylinders into the head. Replace all valve springs both heads. And do pull the other head to check for blow by. And you would not want to rebuild one head and have the other one have leaky valves or blow by or weak springs. If you have the $$ call Jake he has fast parts fast. Again Good luck. Lots O fun there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.