Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have a problem. Just wanted to hear your opinion,
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DerekKim
Hello everyone. as you may or may not know I am out in semi-sunny NorCal where it is freakin sweet. I'm working and going to school in Jan. Probably no chance of getting a 914 to restore. I just got accepted to the auto body course down here in Gulfport MS where everything is getting a good deal better since I left. If I do come back I'd pick up a job somewhere and go to school. I also can possibly convince my parents to let me b a 914er to have some fun with. So far they have said ok. I also have to choose on staying out there with my grandparents and such or come back to my immediate family. It is getting hard being a grown up a a young age and quite frustrating at times. Anyways I just wanted to hear what you guys thought about the situation.

Oh on a personal hi-jack. I was going to buy a project pretty solid 73 914 from a guy right on the beach down here literally the day before the Hurricane. I went back to his house a while back and the everythign was gone including the house. He said he had raced 914's at one point and had the one pls another he was restoring for his wife.
scotty b
Not really clear on your situation but I would say if you want to go into this line of werk go to the school. I went to Wyotech back in Jan to talk to the instructors about a job and possibly attendance. I was told that I would be wasting my time with all but 1 of the classes (the only one I really wanted to take) and I was 3 years short on experience for a job. I am self taught and really wish now that I had known about the school when I got out of school. I spent most of a day talking to the various dept heads and can tell you first hand that school is on top of it all. What you will learn from any of the schools will be the basics. You won't come out and get a job as a painter, but you will have a significant leg up on others as a starting position in a shop.As far as Wyotech, the collision head said they don't get into frame pulling but they teach you how to set the car up on the machine for the frame guy to pull it. You spend time in the booth learning to prime and shoot jambs, inside of panels and some overall painting,aligning panels etc. After you take that course (6 months) you are required to take 2 elective classes at 3 months each. Chassis fab, high performance engine building, auto upholstry, custom metal fab are the main ones I remember but there are others. Look into them! Here is a pic of the car they built on Overhaulin, it looked as good in person as it did on T.V.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.