Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternatives to POR?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
just considering my options.
i'd like to strip and paint the underside, gray or black.
also the engine compartment. Gray maybe.

any other good products?
save some $$>?
spend some more $$?
Jeroen
no experience with it, but this may be an option
http://www.rustbullet.com/
Lou W
Jeroen Posted on Dec 12 2005, 09:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no experience with it, but this may be an option
http://www.rustbullet.com/  

agree.gif Thats what I used, very happy with the results. smilie_pokal.gif
Rand
Hammerite Rust Cap rocks. By the gallon or spray can.
dmenche914
Uhm, Rust Bullet is a new one too me, saw the website, Not much technical stuff on how this works. I still don't know if it actually stops and nuetralizes the rust under it or not. You can paint over rust with about any paint, and if thick enough it will last a while, I am not imp[ressed with before and after photos of rust, then new paint. I really like to see that surface (and a control surface) after accelerated exposure. from what I saw, the accelerated tests were done on non-rusted panels. It looks like it might be a good barrier, but too me the jury is still out on it stopping existing rust over time.

To really "fix" rust I think removal and nuetralization, followed by a good primer / paint is the best bet. remove rust with blasting, sanding, wire brush, or chemicals, then nuetralize, and convert any remaining rust to prevent reoccurance.

Nothing beats complete bare metal rust removal, then a good coating.

Rust Bullett claims it is different than the other rust paints, and has two patents, why praytell does the website not explain how it works (ie what chemicals or reactiosn are taking place)?

Born a skeptic I guess, So it was devoloped from paint for jet fighter wing tips???? What's that have to do with rusty automotive steel?

I have seen plenty of repairs on rust that are re-rusting cause the rust under was not removed or nuetralized, even under POR-15. Smoke and mirrors, so get out that bead blaster and clean up the rust before using any magic rust stoppers.

My humble opinion.
Lou W
I applied "Metal Prep" first, (to nutralize the rust) then applied Rust Bullet over it after the Metal Prep dried. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I like Zero-Rust when it comes to spray applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.