Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage at idle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames

I noticed recently that when I'm sitting at idle, that the readout on the center
consoles voltage meeter drops from 12ish to 10ish. Of course I'm on the brakes which pulls some juice to work the tail lights, but I've also noticed that if I rev the engine while sitting still the voltage goes back up to 12ish. Should this be a concern? Does it point to an alternator on the way out?

Do I have a fun weekend project ahead of me? sad.gif
ArtechnikA
like horoscopes, the center console voltmeter is "for entertainment purposes only" although there may be some comparitive value to be derived if you know what it used to read, and under what circumstances.

observe voltage *directly at the battery terminals* with a real voltmeter before making any decisions.
lapuwali
Pull out a multimeter and put it on the battery terminals (the terminal posts themselves, not the connections). Engine off, key on, you should see 12.5v. Engine on, you should see 13.5-14.5v, no matter how high or low you're revving.

If you see 10v while idling at the battery on the multimeter, then you have a voltage regulator or alternator or wiring problem. If you don't, then you have a console voltmeter (or wiring) problem.

(edit: rich beats me again)
rjames
Thanks guys, I should just keep the multimeter in the car at all times the way things have been going!

I find that my internal signal indicator (the one on the dash) doesn't blink more then once or twice unless I have the parking brake on. Probably time
think about going through the entire wiring...

on a related/ unrlelated note:

When I went to replace the front turn signal bulbs, the one I took
out had 2 filaments, but according to the 'book of replacement bulbs' at the
auto parts store, the replacement is a single filament bulb. I ended
up going with one that looked like the one I pulled out with 2 filaments,
and it seems to work ok though. However, both signals (including
the one I didn't replace) are pretty dim, and almost pointless
in daylight. Is it typical of 914s to have dim front signals?

I notice that the Euro lenses are white and orange- did the
Euro model cars have 2 seperate bulbs?

SLITS
Dim lights = bad ground or crossed wiring

Euros had two lights.....see CAMP914 for light kits to become a "Euro".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.