Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Sway Bar Is Done!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Whew..... finally blink.gif Started on them suckers last week fully expecting to take a day off this week to finish. My asst. had an emergency leave situation so there the car stood, up on stands partially apart. Managed to get it together today after dinner and finished it up. Hope it's right rolleyes.gif Will know in the morning....
This was quite the experience. Now for AX on Sunday!!!! boldblue.gif
bruce
URY914
You won't believe the differece.

Go get 'em. smilie_flagge24.gif

Paul
Bruce Allert
Pic of what I found under the gas tank. This squirell was busy... these Filbert or Hazel nuts were throughout the car when I bought it idea.gif
bruce
rhodyguy
atta boy bruce!!! we "mature" guys are so focused.

kevin
Jeroen
Have a beer, I know you deserve it biggrin.gif

I finished the front susp. on the 911 yesterday
(swaybar, bigger t-bars, new bushings)

working on the rear right now smash.gif
(I like the rear susp. of the 914 a LOT better, it's much easier)

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Whats the white paint?
Jeroen
It's rattle can primer... quick lazy fix to cover some stone-chips

cheers,

Jeroen
Bruce Allert
Just got back from the test spin boldblue.gif It works and what a difference clap56.gif How did I do without unsure.gif
I'll be doin' the rears as soon as I get time & learn what the setting is for the welder for this metal. I have a wire feed in the shop at work that I'll either bring home or just do it there.
If this just made it 100% better then the rears must do another 100%. (cool! then I'll just float around the corners, eh?) wink.gif
All I gotta say is "what a car" wub.gif
bruce
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 23 2003, 07:41 AM)
I finished the front susp. on the 911 yesterday
(swaybar, bigger t-bars, new bushings)

don't get me started on 5/16" Heim joints in single shear in this application...
i don't want to be an alarmist but i must say once again that it's a bad idea.

you are, of course, free to ignore me and it won't hurt my feelings. just be careful, okay ?
Dave_Darling
Bruce, I wouldn't bother with the rear. More hassle than it's worth IMHO.

--DD
Jeroen
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2003, 07:30 PM)
don't get me started on 5/16" Heim joints in single shear in this application...

Educate me, oh wise one!
But seriously, I suppose you are referring to the spherical bearings/monoballs for the rear "banana" trailing arms?
Please explain

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisReale
beerchug.gif Way to go Bruce! Now you wont be dragging your nice shiny door handles along the ground when you take hard turns! See ya tommorow
redshift
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 23 2003, 01:33 PM)
Bruce, I wouldn't bother with the rear. More hassle than it's worth IMHO.

--DD

Good deal Bruce! I'm with Dave on the adding a rear bar.

idea.gif

Maybe you need a higher rate front bar though...

smile.gif

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 23 2003, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2003, 07:30 PM)

Educate me, oh wise one!
But seriously, I suppose you are referring to the spherical bearings/monoballs for the rear "banana" trailing arms?

i had a 5/16" front antiroll bar droplink Heim joint fail in compression, resulting in near-total loss of car (my yellow factory /6). and that was a joint in double shear.

i agree with Carroll Smith, who more frequently than not was right on these isues - single shear is a crime against nature. 5/16" is just not strong enough for this application. 3/8" probably is.

someone (Demmick?) and i had a long discussion on and off Rennlist about this a while back. using female rod ends and high-strength threaded stuf portion might be okay if you *must* use 5/16", but once-burned/twice shy for me - i'm not using anything smaller than 3/8 for my droplink rod ends ever again.

i think any of the rear semi-trailing arm monoball kits are fine from what i've seen; i'll probably be using one of them this winter myself.
ChrisReale
Do you guys feel that a rear bar on a stock suspended 914 is not needed? I would think that if everything was stock, a rear bar waould help. Maybe I am not knowing....??
redshift
I like the rear bar. I like to run my noses a little lower than the rears, they take up the lil wiggle on transitions. If you like to snap the car around, prolly better without them.

It feels like the car holds energy better with them, like the Force is with you.

M
Bruce Allert
The install of the rear doesn't look any harder than the front, actually it appears easier but I thought the front was going to be a piece of cake wink.gif Don't get me wrong... the front wasn't that bad. Going into a project for the first time is always eye opening with surprises blink.gif
All i all, it was enjoyable. I found the link for welding in another posting by (I think) it was John of Ghia Specialties. Got it copied & ready to read it thoroughly clap56.gif

Chris, glad to hear you will be down tomorrow. Try to drag Geoff & Kevin too.....
bruce
EdwardBlume
Do you guys feel that a rear bar on a stock suspended 914 is not needed? I would think that if everything was stock, a rear bar waould help. Maybe I am not knowing....??

Find somebody with one. Drive it, then disconnect it. I personally like it for what I do with the car - AXs & windy roads. Make your own choice.
Dave_Darling
I found that there wasn't a whole lot of difference on my car. It rotated a little better with the bar in place, but that was it. I preferred the handling of the car with the stock suspension and with the stock front and rear bars, but I don't think the difference was great enough to bother breaking out the welder.

And once I started upgrading the suspension, the rear bar was way overkill and was removed.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.