Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I am just trying to get a game plan together in the unfortunate event that I end up having to rebuild my engine. I am looking for machine shop references who do decent machine work on the 2.7 mag cased engines. Preferably in or around So Cal....

Thanks
Aaron Cox
motor meister laugh.gif

poke.gif

serious...now.
don traver recomended a place in rainbow CA (i15 on way to SD)
slits probably knows a few places down this way
TimT
German Precision, Ted Robinson Owner, Ive dealt with him for years. Straight shooter, reasonable prices..1-800-762-1911
TimT
oops just realized he may not be So Cal.. where is Sunnyvale?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 19 2005, 06:09 PM)
oops just realized he may not be So Cal.. where is Sunnyvale?

NOR cal wink.gif
TimT
Heck I ship my stuff to him from NY...

Finally trained a machinist here in NY to do 911 heads...We actually went to the shop and walked the owner through a 911 head overhaul. punching the valve guides, pressing the new ones in, facing the sealing surface.. showing him how much play a valve should have..

oops I digress
mikey
Ted's got a great reputation! I recommend him too. People ship him cases from as far away as Australia because he's so good. He did my case and heads.
DonTraver
Don Clark
Victory Motorsports
Rainbow Canyon Rd
Temecula, Ca
951-695-3902
951-67-1945 fax

Don is a Porsche Factory trained Master Tech. He used to own Extreme Motorsports in San Diego. He sold Extreme and opened victory because he got tired of paperwork. Victory is a one man shop, so all the work is done by Don Clark. The shop is right on the border between Temecula and Rainbow about at the I-15 border check point.

I just don't go anywhere else, in my book, he's the best.

He also races a beautiful 2.+ RSR that he built, hell of a driver too.

If you want it done right the first time, call him up. His prices (I know this is important to you, it is too me) are very competitive.

Everytime I've had a problem with my 6 or RSA, he has been very helpful on the phone helping me to figure it out, even talked me thru changing the brake pads on the RSA the first time I tried it, if you've never changed pads on a later model caliper, getting the retaining clip off is a real bitch, great way to break a hand, he made it easy. Now once the wheels are off, I can change the pads in all 4 wheels in less than 20 minutes. I just replaced the rotors and pads on the RSA, took me less than 2 hours with his help, I took a lot of breaks too, lol.

Give him a call, I know you'll be glad you did, I can't recommend him enough.

Good Luck, Don
brant
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 19 2005, 06:18 PM)
Heck I ship my stuff to him from NY...

Finally trained a machinist here in NY to do 911 heads...We actually went to the shop and walked the owner through a 911 head overhaul. punching the valve guides, pressing the new ones in, facing the sealing surface.. showing him how much play a valve should have..

oops I digress

hijack....

Tim, what is the going rate for punching a seat these days.
I'm hearing BIG... BIG money and kinda surprised.

hijack over...

how about Jeff from our very own little non-club.
I'm told very good things about Jeff's work

brant
TimT
Seats are big.. When a head had the valve seat ground to deeply, like after a few refreshes, we used to just get new heads... at one point they were plentiful.

I dont know how much it would cost to punch out a seat and install a new one.. The last guy I asked to do that was Ted Robinson, and he sold me new (rebuilt) heads for less than the whole valve seat replacement would have cost

brant
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 19 2005, 09:45 PM)
Seats are big.. When a head had the valve seat ground to deeply, like after a few refreshes, we used to just get new heads... at one point they were plentiful.

I dont know how much it would cost to punch out a seat and install a new one.. The last guy I asked to do that was Ted Robinson, and he sold me new (rebuilt) heads for less than the whole valve seat replacement would have cost

crud...
that confirms what I'm hearing.
I want to put bigger valves into my motor, and am told that Its cost prohibitive to modify mine..... (need to find 69S heads for less than 2 arms and legs.... you have any leads)

brant
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 19 2005, 08:28 PM)
...looking for machine shop references who do decent machine work on the 2.7 mag cased engines.  Preferably in or around So Cal....

Thanks

Competition Engineering are the guys for mag case prep. Lake Elsinore. not cheap, not quick. just the best. several good guys can do heads - pick one you like.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Dec 20 2005, 06:51 AM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 19 2005, 08:28 PM)
...looking for machine shop references who do decent machine work on the 2.7 mag cased engines.  Preferably in or around So Cal....

Thanks

Competition Engineering are the guys for mag case prep. Lake Elsinore. not cheap, not quick. just the best. several good guys can do heads - pick one you like.

That would be Lake Isabella, NOT Lake Elsinore. CE is about an hour from Bakersfield. EMS in Westcdhester, near lAX, would be my other option. CE is hands down my 911 case work choice. Plan on some down time, or buy a nice core 7R case from me! The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 20 2005, 11:38 AM)
That would be Lake Isabella, NOT Lake Elsinore.

you are correct!

i was even looking at their contact information page when i mis-typed that too...
Allan
Can the 2.7 P/C's be re-used with new rings if they don't show any serious degradation?

Can the cylinders be honed or do they have some sort of special coating and need to be re-plated?
Aaron Cox
an unkown six is a big can of worms eh allan?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 20 2005, 09:44 AM)
Can the 2.7 P/C's be re-used with new rings if they don't show any serious degradation?

Can the cylinders be honed or do they have some sort of special coating and need to be re-plated?

Show them to Walt, the guy at CE. The Cap'n

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 20 2005, 01:44 PM)

the Cap'n's answer is correct, of course - "maybe, it depends, you need professional guidance."

but since this is the Garage, here's some background.

Alusil, probably not.
Nikasil, maybe.

Nikasil is plated and you might be able to have them lightly honed *once* by an expert. if this has already been done, they can be replated. AFAIK, Alusil cannot be replated with Nikasil although i've never heard that question asked and answered definitively. there are places that offer Nikasil replating service although i'd probably send them to EBS and let them send them to whoever's doing the best job right now.

OTOH, with Alusil, you do get 6 really cool paperweights...

or you can just order up a set of Nickies and let Charles handle all the hard questions.
goose2
Alusils can be re-ringed successfully...but it's a bit of a crap shoot. There's a thread about 30 pages long about it at Pelican's engine rebuilding forum. Several people have gotten good results with some special treatment. I'll send you the link if it comes to that.
TimT
It may be worth it to just get new p&c rather than read through 30 something pages of pelican bickering LOL

Allan
Talked to Don Clark at Victory Motorsports today. Looks like the engines gonna get sorted out by him...

Thanks Don for the referral....
Allan
QUOTE (Headrage @ Dec 19 2005, 04:28 PM)
I am just trying to get a game plan together in the unfortunate event that I end up having to rebuild my engine. I am looking for machine shop references who do decent machine work on the 2.7 mag cased engines. Preferably in or around So Cal....

Thanks

Just an update for the original thread. Car was turned over to Don Clark at Victory Motorsports today for a complete tear down.

Hopefully it'll be done in the next few weeks.

Can't wait to driving.gif burnout.gif
sixnotfour
Are you keeping the carbs or going to CIS ?
Allan
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 6 2006, 09:26 PM)
Are you keeping the carbs or going to CIS ?

Keeping the carbs.
Aaron Cox
CaRbOz MoHr P0w3rz! smilie_pokal.gif
brp914
I
CaRbOz MoHr P0w3rz!  

If yoU eFF wITh CaRbOz Enuf YoU miGHt find a 500 rpm window where they make a little more power, otherwise they completely suck.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brp914 @ Jan 6 2006, 10:54 PM)
I
CaRbOz MoHr P0w3rz!  

If yoU eFF wITh CaRbOz Enuf YoU miGHt find a 500 rpm window where they make a little more power, otherwise they completely suck.

AnD Fi Bl0wZ Yo. DeCreP1D CoMpon3ntz Iz R34L fUn 2 RePlacOrz......PaIn In ThE Wall3T HoLm3Z

screwy.gif
jetboy
Wow, i saw this a bit late. I remember when i was young Hashim's Automotive Foreign there in Bako (Union Ave. between California and Brundage) used to do good work for VW type engines. I havent contacted them lately if they work on Porsche 6's though. Maybe i should call them sometime soon about it. Or maybe even SuperTec ( http://www.supertecperformance.com/index.phtml ) out of Fallbrook, CA. I cant wait too see what you do with yours. Im looking to get a 2.7 in a 914 as well for fun runs up the canyon.
Allan
My mechanic sent me a couple pics

Allan
Allan
Aaron Cox
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Allan
ModPR3
does anyone know anymore reputable porsche engine builders in the southern ca area or does this just about sum it up. and what do you think of supertec.
goose2
No direct experience, but I've heard lots of good things about Henry at Supertech
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.