Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW TO???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
on the heads and tops of pistons...

How do you remove the carbon...

the piston I am not as worried about...
I would like something gentle to remove the carbon from the head....

What have you guys done... I have searched...

Rich
Joe Ricard
You can use something like a wood stick (or plastic) Then move to carb cleaner and scotch brite pads. Just don't gouge them with a screw driver.

with the heads off of course biggrin.gif
qa1142
de-grease to get any oil out and then use brass brissle brush
blitZ
Soak it in some SeaFoam, most FLAPS have it. The marine industry has been using this stuff for years to decarbon outboards. Works great on cars.

Bleyseng
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

popcorn[1].gif
dlo914
If your car was running you could use this one product called "Sea Foam" at your local FLAPS... a friend used it and boy the exhaust was bellowing out black smoke from the carbon deposits in his cylinders. burnout.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (blitZ @ Dec 20 2005, 09:57 AM)
Soak it in some SeaFoam, most FLAPS have it. The marine industry has been using this stuff for years to decarbon outboards. Works great on cars.

damn Blitz got to it first dry.gif
toon1
I used Sea foam in my 96 dodge 1500 tranny. The thing wouldn't shift from second to third. Added Sea foam and in about 15 of driving the tranny shifted perfectly. If all their products work that well you can't go wrong.
jhadler
With a dissasembled motor, I found easy-off to work quite handilly. Just use in a well ventilated area. Easier I guess in the summer when things are warmer...

-Josh2
ClayPerrine
I found a very good carbon remover.....

Plain old water.

All you do is get a gallon of water and a long piece of vacuum hose. Hook the vacuum hose to a vacuum port on the engine, run the engine about 2500 rpm, and put the other end of the vacuum hose in the jug of water.

The water will turn to steam when it hits the combustion chambers. The steam loosens and removes most of the carbon.

The car will try to misfire and will run bad while you are doing this, but if it tries to die, just pull the hose out of the water.

You get to spew lots of steam out of the exhaust too.

(Ever seen the pistons on a water cooled car after a blown head gasket? They are clean as a whistle.)

Dr. Roger
wire wheel on the end of a drill.

then polish the same way so less carbon sticks to the combustin chambers.

works like a charm.
brer
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 20 2005, 02:19 PM)
I found a very good carbon remover.....

Plain old water.

All you do is get a gallon of water and a long piece of vacuum hose. Hook the vacuum hose to a vacuum port on the engine, run the engine about 2500 rpm, and put the other end of the vacuum hose in the jug of water.

The water will turn to steam when it hits the combustion chambers. The steam loosens and removes most of the carbon.

The car will try to misfire and will run bad while you are doing this, but if it tries to die, just pull the hose out of the water.

You get to spew lots of steam out of the exhaust too.

(Ever seen the pistons on a water cooled car after a blown head gasket? They are clean as a whistle.)

a lady i knew who raced 356's told me to pour water down the carbs of my S90.

I told her to take a hike. unsure.gif At the time it sounded silly.

now i'm wondering,
wont dislodging carbon while running introduce lots of debris to the piston rings?
Katmanken
I think American Motors used that as a tune up technique in the 60's. They are also outa business as a comapany.

That being said, I too have used water to clean the engine.
On a beetle, it's easy.... Remove air cleaner, slowly dribble water into intake while revving engine. Done it many times.

Haven't tried it on an injected engine yet...

Ken
r_towle
I appreciate the suggestion...and I learned a few things...

But alas, the engine is taken apart...

I would like to clean the heads and pistons before I put it back together...

I am not to worried about the pistons...if they get a little scratched...oh well...

But the heads...specifically where the cylinder mating surface is...I dont want to scratch it, or deform it...

I am looking for a chemical that will do the trick with a tooth brush, or a light brass wire brush...

Rich
jhadler
"Easy-Off"!

No really, what do you think it's made to do? Disolve carbon deposits....

Just make sure the parts are "warm" before you do it. NOT hot. Just room temperature. So bring 'em inside for the night before hitting 'em with the stuff.

I cleaned two sets of heads and a set of pistons in a day with a few cans of the stuff. Make sure you've wiped off the parts as good as you can, and that they're at least room temperature. Then take 'em outside, spray 'em down, and let 'em sit a while. Then go at 'em with a nylon bristle brush. Wipe off, repeat as needed. It took me about three rounds to get 'em pretty clean. They won't be bead blaster clean, but they certainly weren't all cruded up with carbon though either... YMMV...

-Josh2
r_towle
that is amazing stuff...

Someone needs to wrtie a book...101 things easy off can do..

I was told it takes off pinstriping without damaging the underlying paint...

Yup, it worked...I have a can here from that project...

I also heard Coke (classic formula) is a good cleaner...

Rich
Gint
It's a little late now, but I can't believe no one said it...

Chopsticks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.