Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 to 6 Steering Column Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mg911guy
Hi all, I have been lurking here for a while now. You guys crack me up! I can always count on you to make me laugh out loud at my computer monitor. My family must think i'm nuts. laugh.gif

I have a 70/4 and the parts to replace my 4 Steering Column with a 6 clone. Like Clay Perrine has shown on his web site.

I have collected the following parts:
66 911 Steering Column (From Pick A Part 2 years ago!)
66 911 Turn and Wiper Switches
66 911 Steering wheel center hub. Wheel was missing when I pulled it.This is just the splined center w/turn cancel disk.

73 911 Steering Column (20th St. Auto Parts)
73 911 Turn Switch

72 914/4 Steering Column (Ebay)
72 Turn and Wiper Switches on the column

70 914/4 Steering Column (Existing)
70 914/4 Steering wheel

83? 911 Steering Column Tube is too short.(Pomona Swap)
75 911 3 and 4 spoke Steering wheels
72 911 Locking Ignition Assy. Complete

I know the 66 911 column is not right. It is a big chunk of cast metal with the housing setup totally different from the later (68?-73) style. But the turn and wiper switches will work.

I have the 73 turn switch wired and working in the 914 already. I still need to convert the wiper over. I was thinking that I could use the intermittent relay for the 3rd wiper position. My 75 911 has a seperate switch/round knob located on the dash! and I just move into the 1st wiper position and dial the knob to control the delay.

Sorry I just spaced.. headbang.gif

My question is where do I locate the 72 column plate on the 73 tube? I have removed the 2 original mounts from the tube and cleaned it up. Also, a few years ago I bought a fire damaged 911 Locking Ign Switch and cut the locking mech/tube back about 1 1/2" and enlarged the left side dash hole nearest to the column. And used the left key ign. My VW Ign cyl pulled out with the key one day. I was using the Stanley Key after that. (Screwdriver). I have a complete assy now.

Can I weld in the corresponding key/ign mount from a early 911/912? are they the same or similar. You know the stamped deep round sheet metal that makes the /6 dash special.

Since I have a later key/ign the bezel is much bigger and flatter than those shown in the /6 pics I have seen. Are they the same thread size?

Once I sort out all the wiring I will post the conversion wiring, If someone hasn't already?

Thanks Mark
Eddie Williams
I'm planning on doing the same, but havenot collected all the parts.
markb
Hi Mark! I'd like to do the same thing someday. Can you take lots of pics of what you're doing, so we can follow along? Thanks.
mg911guy
Yes I can. I have begun the conversion. But I will try and capture the important pic's. I was able to use my 911 steering wheels on the stock /4 column. Although they were poking me in my beer gut. beer.gif

OT: I just heard about Mike Mueller. Donated to the Fund via PayPal. I hope it all gets sorted out.

Mark...
jim912928
Hmmm..interesting thought. I have an 84 911 donor car...wonder if I could just transfer the whole thing?
lapuwali
It appears the only major conversion effort required (besides collecting parts), is grafting the 914 four-hole mounting plate onto the 911 steering column tube. The real 911 or 914/6 keyswitch is optional, and really only required if you want a steering lock. There are plenty of nice keyswitches you can use to mount in the dash.

Some of the advantages of this swap: the wiring for the high beams becomes simpler. The high beams on the 911/912 come on by just flipping the lever forward. No more goofball latching relay to select low/high beams. If you have an early car, you gain the wiper switch on a stalk. The washer switch is electric, so you can easily add an electric washer pump rather than use the air in the spare tire.

ClayPerrine
The angle of the key in a 914/6 is different from a 911. The key actually angles upward.

As for the column, all you have to do is measure the distance from the front end (opposite end from the steering wheel) of the column to the mounting plate on a 4 cyl column. Then cut the column off the mounting plate. Cut the mounts off the 911 column, and weld it onto the 4 cyl mounting plate.

If you can find an 914/6 dash frame, then it's a bolt in for you.

mg911guy
Thanks All now I get to go home and measure and cut and weld.. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

I will let you know with some pics soon.

Mark..
michelko
Sorry no meassurements taken while my conversion, but here are some picĀ“s that may help.

Parts to fit the ignition to dashboard
michelko
hole in the dash
michelko
lock in
michelko
This is how it looks today. Note the missing plastic cover over the ignition switch. Also missing the cover around the column (eybows)

smilie_flagge6.gif
markb
Nice interior, michelko. I could never have something that light, I'd have greasy boot prints all over it inside of 2 minutes. biggrin.gif
michelko
QUOTE (markb @ Dec 21 2005, 11:10 PM)
Nice interior, michelko. I could never have something that light, I'd have greasy boot prints all over it inside of 2 minutes. biggrin.gif

agree.gif

looks realy awsome but is so fu***ng sensitive to any kind of dirt dry.gif

Can you find the first dirt spot on the new upholstery? huh.gif

Maybe i will change sometime to black.

smilie_flagge6.gif
Aaron Cox
seat cushion?
mg911guy
Michelko Thanks thats the kind of info I'm looking for. rocking nana.gif

I haven't had a chance to work on the column. Mrs. said something about a christmas season and how my car gets more attention confused24.gif

Mark...
ClayPerrine
To make the surround for the key, I took a 911 surround and turned it down with a file until its just a little larger than the hole. It looks fine.

As for the "eyebrows", I didn't use them. I made a custom front for the dash that eliminates them.

jim912928
This could be cool...if I keep my 84 steering column mated with my engine...I can wire up the cruise control!!!!!
Scott S
Wow - super classy interior.....
mg911guy
Here are the pictures. Mark...
mg911guy
Another
mg911guy
More
mg911guy
My obsession drooley.gif

More to follow when I install it....
ClayPerrine
Here's an interior pict of my car with the column conversion...

sixnotfour
Made mine like mark and clay, for the switch I stayed with the 914 colum ign. switch and made an alum. bracket. Cheap switch ,exspensive mount.
Oh ya took off the chrome bezel and made a black plastic one that snapped right on. igniton wiring stock no mods.
mg911guy
Thanks Clay and Jeff. pray.gif

I since have discovered that the 72/4 column mount plate is too wide for the 70 dash. It looks like the bolt spacing is the same (from front to back of the car. Just too wide from car door to door) Does that make any sense? blink.gif

Was this smaller width the same on 914/6's? If yes then someone that finds an original /6 column and wants to put it into a later ,72 and on, car will have problems with width.

IIRC someone has mentioned on this BBS that this is why some 72 914/6's came with /4 columns.

I will take some measurements and post them here.

Mark...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.