Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission trouble?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwade
Hi all,

I was driving today when I heard a loud BANG from the rear
of the car and my transmission stopped working. I could shift in all gears with or without the clutch depressed but it would not engage.

For the last two days the car has shifted harder and I had to be sure I pushed the gear shift very far to the right to engage 4th and 5th.

I suspected the shift linkage and checked the shift support but everything seemed to be OK except the shift lever shaft slides out about a half inch.

Is this something that can be fixed with the tranny in the car (if that is the problem)? Or is it something that a novice should not attempt? Or could it be something I have not considered (of course it could!)?

I hate having all this wonderful driving weather and being stuck in the hardtop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks,
john
Jeffs9146
And?????? Welcome to the board, do you have a transmision problem? I am sure someone here will point you in the right direction or just point at you!! aktion035.gif

Jeff
jwade
I know, don't hit enter before you type your message rolleyes.gif
Jeffs9146
I could shift in all gears with or without the clutch depressed but it would not engage

Well, just a guess but the pressure plate/throughout bearing?? What happens to the clutch when it is pressed? Any grinding when you try to push it into gear?

Jeff
jwade
There does not seen to be any difference whether you press in the clutch or not.
This is why I don't suspect a clutch problem.

john
Jeffs9146
So, if you try to force the shifter into possisition will it grind or not go?

Jeff
jwade
does not grind or anything
Jeffs9146
Can you get someone to press the clutch while you watch the cable on the roller and the throughout arm move??

Jeff
jwade
I can do that. Since I didn't suspect the clutch, I had someone shift through the
pattern to see if the linkage was working properly. I'll have to get them to depress
the clutch to see if there is any reaction.

john
Jeffs9146
That would be the first step. The clutch tube can break loose and the clutch wont engage but it usually causes a grinding. The cable could be broken but you would have the same/similar symptoms as the clutch tube. The pressure plate could fail and stop engaging. You would be lucky if you didn't hear any springs bouncing around in there but it could be! Syncros??? I don't know if they just fail like that? Someone else might know that?

Jeff
Red-Beard
Doesn't sound like a clutch tube. Clutch tube breaking make the clutch not operate and you drag the clutch when trying to shift. It sounds to me that you are not getting any power to the tranny. Either the clutch disk is totally gone (Possible) or you may have a broken input shaft.

Other than hard shifting, did you notice a lot of noise in the tranny especially at higher RPMs, ie more noticable in 1st gear since you going slower?

James
jwade
I did notice some noise when in first gear, but not a lot. I replaced the clutch cable
within the last 4 months.

So far, everyone seems to be focusing in the clutch so I guess I should take it somewhere
to have it properly diagnosed.

john
Jeffs9146
Drop it yourself and take a look! It is not very hard to do!

Jeff
TheCabinetmaker
I had a similar problem years ago. Turned out to be a small pin that had slipped out of the shift forks and was laying in the bottom of the case. nO damage. Reinstalled it and everything was fine.
jwade
I took the shift fork out and that is not the problem.
Maybe the CV joint or axle?

john
redshift
If a CV comes off.... yeah, it won't go anywhere, and it will act just like you say.

I don't know what all error modes (lol) a CV throws off, I have only experienced the catastrophic type, maybe one's dead in the cage.

M
SPGofNM
Had a similar noise in mine did all the external checks then pulled the transmission and found the pinion head had broken off the shaft. Hope yours turns out to be something simple
Brad Roberts
WOW.

I have stripped teeth off of them.. but never broken one completely off.

Welcome to the BBS ..and thanks for posting.

B
jwade
Probably the CV joint. When I turn the wheel the axle rotates up to the CV joint but the part attached to the transaxle doesn't move. My question now is, HOW DO I GET THE DAMN CASTLE NUT OFF? It doesn't budge and I don't want to break anything by using too long a lever.

john
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jwade @ Aug 30 2003, 02:55 PM)
Probably the CV joint. When I turn the wheel the axle rotates up to the CV joint but the part attached to the transaxle doesn't move. My question now is, HOW DO I GET THE DAMN CASTLE NUT OFF? It doesn't budge and I don't want to break anything by using too long a lever.

impact wrench if you've got one. long pipe lever otherwise. be careful. they're put on at 220 lbs-ft and seem to want to self-tighten and/or sieze in place. spray liberally with a good penetrating oil as far in advance as possible. have all 4 wheels on the ground if you're using the big lever method - and ideally for the impact method too.
Qarl
The castle nut.... hahhahahahah!

I did that LAST weekend. An impact wrench didn't do it alone. I had to heat the nut with a torch, and break it loose. It took several heat/impact wrench sessions.

A 4 foot breaker bar didn't phase the castle nut with all my weight on it.

Keep us posted and welcome to the group.

Good luck!
Dave_Darling
Oh, and remember to remove the cotter pin first.

...Don't ask me how I know to check that... (Thankfully it wasn't the axle nut, but it was plenty bad enough!!)

--DD
jwade
Liquid wrench and a two foot flex bar and the castle nut came right off.
If only the rest goes as well!

Pep Boys has the axle that I can special order so all I need is the 12 point wrench
to get the CV bolts out.

wish me luck mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.